Too much grass/hay - can it be sold?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bigfootnlc, Jun 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. bigfootnlc

bigfootnlc Void-Bound Voyager

Maybe this is a stupid question, but I don't see a method for selling hay. You can sell just about anything else!

Is it possible? If so, how?

Thanks!

• Venatio777

Venatio777 Subatomic Cosmonaut

I do not believe so. There is no price for it in the wiki. And if you cannot put it in the shipping bin, then it is a moot point. Frankly, I found the hay you could buy from Marnie to be ridiculously overpriced (for those of us who stinted on a silo till short of winter). Frankly, I find the animal farm mechanics a bit difficult to manage for Riverland Farm players who have little enough room for such ventures. The Hay should be cheaper to buy from Marnie to make up for the fact that not all farms have as much spare room for grass as the standard one.

• sunlite

sunlite Pangalactic Porcupine

As a riverlands farm rancher here, I'd like to say as long as you have grass planted around your coop/barn that's all the hay your animals will ever need in the spring summer and fall months. On fall 28 I cut down all my grass that I planted around my farm and town for decor, which gives me enough hay to last the winter (about 1500)

Venatio777 likes this.
        • nevyn21

nevyn21 Cosmic Narwhal

I thought you could put hay in the shipping bin? I'll have to check.

Edit: You can definitely ship hay. I didn't get a price though because my game crashed. I think its like 5g each or so.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
          • Venatio777

Venatio777 Subatomic Cosmonaut

I didn't know about planting grass around town. Certainly worth investigating. Frankly, I gave up on animals after I got what I needed for the Bundles - I didn't see the point once my winery was off the ground. I had also wanted to convert the islands to different purposes.

but maybe on a standard farm or forest farm map I will try to bank more on animals.

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

There's an amusing thread in the forums that's entirely devoted to screens of the town swamped by grass planted by one player.

Here you go.

ChaosAzeroth and Venatio777 like this.
              • bigfootnlc

@nevyn21 - so how do you get it into your backpack to then put in the shipping bin? once my silos are full, if I keep cutting, the grass just seems to disappear!

thanks!!

• LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

You have to pull it from the bin inside either a barn or coop, as long as the feeding trough is empty it will let you take as much hay out as you want. By the way, if you're already doing this, you might as well put the extra into a chest and keep it for later, saves you from having to buy more if you run out. :3

• bigfootnlc

doh! it's been so long since I got the Deluxe barn and coop that I'd forgotten all about that.

Thanks!!

LuthienNightwolf likes this.
                    • bigfootnlc

well, that's not so good after all. it seems once you get the self-feeding, deluxe, barn you can no longer pull hay from the 'bin'. nuts!

• LuthienNightwolf

Yeah unfortunately it has to be the smaller ones - I've actually kept from upgrading my chicken coop on my current farm all the way because I want to be able to pull hay out at the end of Fall. What we need is a little bin attached to the silo itself (similar to the one on the mill maybe) so we could get it out anytime, regardless of what's going on inside the barn/coop.

• bigfootnlc

so I built a new coop and started 'selling' hay out of it. big mistake! all of that time and effort and what do you get when you sell hay? zero, zilch, nada!! you have to pay Marnie 50g each, but when you sell it you get nothing?!?! nuts, again!

• LuthienNightwolf

That's pretty dumb, I agree - I guess CA just figured players would rather hang onto the hay and use it to feed their animals instead of selling it, so he didn't attach a price. Or he didn't want someone to just be a grass farmer, I dunno. lol Personally, I'll just stuff it all in my silos and avoid having to buy hay from Marnie, but I also keep a LOT of animals on my farm (typically 4 dozen) so I always need it.