Modding Discussion Too many map need to be overridden if e.g. farm is changed to larger version.

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Hiran, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Hiran

Hiran Subatomic Cosmonaut

I changed my farm file a few times and if the map was larger than normal it had to go with at least one other location map to "fix" teleportation. Its ok if user didn't altered that map with one from some other mod, but if he did then he's screwed.
    One possible solution to this would require map makers to create mod that overrides warps for each GameLocation that could be affected, but that would be just changing one requirement to another one, with very little benefits.
    Other idea would be to create "framework" of sorts that would override warps altogether and change how they work. Rather than providing exact warping coordinates map makers would need to provide "entry" and "leave" coordinates separately, and after the game is loaded this "framework" would compile all that data into warps collections for each map.

Has anyone of you though about this? Did anyone tried to approach this problem? If I were to start implementing such feature, would those of you that make maps alter them to work with this feature?

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

• Hiran

Is there any documentation on how this warp replacement works? Because Github for this mod sadly died.

Edit:
      I have found it, And it still shares the same functionality and problems as standard mechanic.
      Let me explain it to you in a simpler way.
      Lets say that i made farm map that is 200x200 tiles in size. To make warps work as they should I will have to also provide altered versions of "Forest" and "BusStop" maps, to fix warps. Someone made Stardew Expansion Mod that heavily alters "Town" map, and he also needs to provide his versions "Forest" and "BusStop" maps to fix warps.
      As a normal player, what should I do to be able to use both of these mods without any problems?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
      • Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

You can define warps separately in the manifest, if ALL finds a existing warp at the same position, it overrides that warp, no edited map files required....
        https://github.com/Entoarox/StardewMods/blob/master/AdvancedLocationLoader1.2/documentation.md

• Hiran

I have to agree that its quite good, however You still have to set it manually. And unfortunately map editing is required, or to be more precise reading, because without this you don't know tile coordinates (unless you will count tiles in the game, but I cant imagine anyone doing this). For someone like you, me, and something like 90% people that are frequent viewers of Mods section on this forum its easy either way, however try to explain this to someone "anti-IT" who plays games, however doesn't know a thing about it.

Also something weird pops up. Its easy (for me its also way more readable than in tIDE) to setup custom warps in ALL, however if you check larger farm maps available that doesn't explicitly require ALL, they always provide you with "BusStop" or other maps that have only warps location changed. Why?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
          • Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

Because not everyone is familiar with ALL and its functions, and xnb modding is still a level below ALL modding in complexity.

• Hiran

Thats probably true.

But even if i use ALL to manage warps it still has one small problem, namely 2 maps that are neighbors and had warp coordinates moved. And that's the point of this topic. I agree that we currently don't have that many mods that change large areas, however it certainly wouldn't hurt to be prepared. And if I'm not mistaken, map maker would only need tIDE, without any compiler, or manifest editing, to do everything required for it to work.

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

Once we have mods like that I will look into adding the needed functionality to separate warps into a "go to map X" and "from map Z? go to tile X,Y" mechanic...

• Hammurabi

Hammurabi Big Damn Hero

It might be easier to just make a way to disable warps (and would cover another potential need). It'd then need two entries in the ALL manifest per moved warp location, but I don't think that'd be such a big deal.

Just throwing the suggestion out there.

• Androxilogin

Androxilogin Giant Laser Beams

I was also in need of warp disabling recently with something I was working on. It's just a pixel off but troublesome for tunnels and the like. On the other side has to be a barrier because of it that I'm not too fond of.