1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Tiy posts on /r/Games about why development took so long, the current state, and the future

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Varixai, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Plex_Director

Plex_Director Pangalactic Porcupine

Single greatest on-point question to ask all the butthurt-brigaders ("we paid for this! Where's our product?!" sound familiar... you all know who you are!).

If this is not the game you expected MOVE ON! There's no way your yelling will change anything right now and there's even less of a point to make of you having paid a sum that would most likely amount to some spare change or a trip to McD or Starbucks or whatever. Do these people complain and bitch for years if they ever watched a bad movie and paid essentially the same amount for it that they did for Starbound?
    People, you bought a product, you all knew it was going to take time! From all the information I gathered over the last months CF was pressured into releasing a yet unfinalised version of their game and now people bitch and clamour because things changed from back then to now? Like double-you-tee-eff!
    You purchased a game and didn't make a large scale business investment, so be patient! Or simply walk away and find something else more suitable to your taste. You know, like ALL the sane people on this planet would do!

And to that Metallica-Avatar dude saying "the atmosphere didn't change...": SOO GREAT! Thanks for that! Because people like the atmosphere! I love playing what I might call "Pixel Art: The Game - In Space". Thank you, not...

/rant over

2. Mecheon

Mecheon Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I am going to snark here...

The problem is it used to be better

Like, literately, the issues of the game are expounded on a million times. 90% of the game being an unskippable tutorial, planets being basically the same, loot being bland and boring in spite of the randomisation. Rolling new characters being irritating as your only option is to follow the exact same path, over and over with no deviation. Before that? You could make things and go explore places, no matter how much of a bad idea it was. Nowerdays? Can't even leave the first galaxy without defeating the first boss. Sorry if you wanted to go exploring, gotta do those quests quests quests

And instead of things about this? We get... Making farming (Something people barely bother with outside of the buffs) infinitely more annoying. Rather than dealing with the issues. Removing the Save/Quit teleport, instead of making the underground something exciting to travel through

People don't care about the developer's vision when the stuff before that was fun and they see the game as turning backwards.

TheNameless and Pingeh like this.
  3. Plex_Director

And I disagree strongly! Before all the changes were implemented I despised SB's gameplay. Everything was a literal TEDIUM! Hunger and temperature were the worst. Having to press a button to reset a timer (hunger) or huddling near a fire in order to invoke an illusion of challenge (temperature) is not, was not and never will be fun.

And everything you just complained about is either subject to change or still WIP so a final verdict has to be still pending, therefore your point is nonexistant.
    If it is not fun to you, now, just wait for all the changes to happen, then come back.

That said: The game is fun to me, now! And apart from hunger's eventual return all the changes sound awesome! Especially farming will be nice, because it will force me to build something cool to automate some processes involved in it.
    So: more of that, please! Because: It will give players a reason to build larger structures apart from deliberatlely choosing to build something ! Same with colonies, which will be great! Yeah!

No, the game is not going backwards. People are stuck backwards, because they got attached to an unfinished game. Their fault entirely!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  4. Mecheon

Hang on

You've just complained about hunger and temperature being tedium, but not even a counter argument to the repeat bosses every time you make a character, the constant tedium of grinding up the same old tier every single time. Because that's tedium.

Yes, I understand its subject to change. And yet... I'm somehow not allowed to request I want things changed? I am not allowed to voice my expression, "The things done previously were better than current"? Because that's what it is. People unhappy with the direction its going offering suggestions for another way. I don't want to wait for the changes to happen. Waiting for changes to happen ended up with the game being worse. I mean, I wasn't expecting them to gut every boss they had in game and that system for a forced tier system that eliminates the need for exploration beyond slamming your face into a planet, mining the ore you need, killing a boss, and going onto the next colour coded star to repeat it with a brand new type of ore

You say "Will force me to build something to automate some processes". I say "I"m just going to go to a perma-rain world and make a farm there so I don't need to worry about doing anything. I will then abandon it to feast on the flesh of my enemies, as tradition" This is practically as bad as temperature as it is basically "It is annoying to do a thing on a world", except this case its "Farming on anywhere other than a surface swamp" as opposed to "Surviving and having to make decisions as to what you wear"

I'm glad you're looking forward to it! Quite frankly, I'm worried as it seems easy to mess up.

Its not going backwards, no. But you know? Some times a game should look backwards. Look how it used to be, and where its come from. Look at what worked. Don't just throw things at a dartboard in the name of "Going forward"

The time they brought the unfinished game, they may have been fine with the way it seemed to be going. You're saying its their fault it basically turned a 180?

Pingeh likes this.
  5. Plex_Director

Your own next sentence is the final and only answer to that:

Done, nothing more to say here.

You're not only allowed to request and voice your opinion, but you already successfully did so in posting. The thing is: You're being disagreed with.
    That's something completely different from "not being allowed to"...

And those people don't want something changed, they want things to be as they were. Nostalgia much?

And here's the kicker: You are just expressing your own experience and don't get to state some objective fact here. "The game being worse" is simply not true. It might appear like that to you, because its different that before, but no, it's simply not worse.
    Why do I say this? Because my personal experience tells me the EXACT opposite! So, who of the both of us is right? Answer: None and both of us, because we're entitled and bound by our personal experiences.
    I'd never want the Koala versions back. If they came back, I'd never touch SB again.
    And after 1000 hours of Giraffe-era SB alone, this wouldn't even be hard to do.
    But I see everything that's still to come and am excited for it!

Subject to change, current version does not allow for a final verdict. If you don't like how it is right now, come back later.
    But here's something I have to say on the bosses: Good thing the crafting element to get the bosses was removed. Having them in instanced levels is so much better. Still they're all being worked on and even that might change again.
    However: The effin' bone dragon always looked like excrement and I'm happy it got shafted, hopefully for good.
    IF it were to return, then PLEASE after a complete reworking. I could easily see it tied to some Glitch-related mission as a form of cyber dragon with a skeletal look.
    (And that was just a small shot at potential and progressive input to the design process. Not "gimme XYZ back", because that's not input at all...)

I want my char to wear whatever I want, because that should be the default thing to be in a game that offers cosmetic armour slots. Having to change my attire for every little circumstance is, again, tedium.
    So, hooray for Nanoskins! I like them and hope they get some workover, yet remain in the game. They're not only sufficiently future-y but also support cosmetic options over actual armour. So: Awesome!

Your decision to farm on planets with frequent rain is entirely your own. If you want to do so, go ahead.
    Others will act differently and its okay that they do.
    That's SB's sandbox aspect giving everyone the freedom they deserve.
    Your choice is in no way an indicator of SB's overall quality of game design.

Define "mess up"! Did you want to say "lose me as an active player"?
    Again we disagree based on our personal experiences:
    SB started fascinating me as it, as others put it, "began to suck".
    So, I repeat my earlier question: Who is right on the matter?

Not this game, no way... Really, that's your nostalgia speaking again.
    Because what was before DIDN'T work.
    And going forward has ZERO, NADA, ZILCH to do with "dart board games" aka chance. Devs have a vision for the game and develop in the according direction. You don't like it? Then move on.
    Everything you ever said in this thread so far was "I want previous feature XYZ back". That's clinging on to the past and swimming in the shallow end.

Yes! That is exactly what I was saying. They bought into an unfinished game and refuse to cope with change.
    I cannot see how SB "turned a 180". In my understanding it emerged from an earlier incarnation in a refined state and shed some weight that dragged it down in the process.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
    The Squid likes this.
  6. Mecheon

There's plenty more to say. You're just ignoring my valid point about how you've replaced one tedium for another, and I prefer the previous because it was at least dynamic and not repetitive.

And guess what? I'm disagreeing with your opinions as well. Grand, no?

You can't pull "Its nostaliga, mate" on all of these things if people have legitimate grievances. I notice you've still refused to actually point out any of my points and where I'm wrong, incidentally.

You're getting it! But here's the other kicker:

I'm grumpy enough to post my frustrations with the game and its direction

The crafting element made them something to work towards, sort of like in, say, this other very popular game. Y'know, Terraria?

Here's input: "The way the game is at the moment limits exploration and forces me to do the same blooming tedium over and over again just to get out of the starting system. The fact there are mods that bypass this should be a hint as to the player's opinions of such"

Chuck it in the display slot. That's what its there for

I can accept them being some sort of end game reward to not bother with gear. But being the only way to basically do anything in the game? It cheapens them. No longer is there exploration, its just "Pick the right nanoskin, jump down, finish what you're doing, go home." No crazy expeditions like in the old days, ducking between air vents on space wreckage as you tried to mine as much ore as possible without running out of air.

[qupte]Your decision to farm on planets with frequent rain is entirely your own. If you want to do so, go ahead.
    Others will act differently and its okay that they do.
    That's SB's sandbox aspect giving everyone the freedom they deserve.
    Your choice is in no way an indicator of SB's overall quality of game design.[/quote[

See, the issue you have here is, well, its not just -my- feelings on the matter. Its a lot of people's feelings!

People are disillusioned with the game, its development, and everything thereof

And, well, its... Its not a sandbox. Getting unique blocks is a bloody pain in the rear

There is no right and wrong. There are, however, a lot of disillusioned people unhappy with its development

Here's the thing, I don't want it to fail! I love elements of its lore, to the point, yeah, I care about it. But then development just kind of kicks me in the face

You know what the worst type of thing is? Its something that could be great, but rather than reaching for it, it goes down another path and you're left, scratching your head, wondering why it didn't go towards that shining beacon of light.

But it DID work. That's the thing! Go back and look at all the god damn hype over it, all of the expectation streams before hand. Go look at the history of servers. You may not have liked it, but people did

Now compare it to what it is today.

Tell that to the Kickstarter backers. I notice you're not one. Maybe we should get one of them in to see what they think of present development?

You know that Avali mod? There's a reason the modder behind it was kicking around the prospect of looking at another game. Because this one wasn't going in the direction he was hoping. And yeah, might not be the biggest thing, but I mean, this is sort of one of the biggest mods for the game and he's just decided "This game is not going in the direction I thought it was. I am going elsewhere"

Minecraft lives on its mods, to the point where people don't update the game beyond a certain version because they can't be bothered dealing with stuff the developers put in. And when you take away the mods here, you just have a blander version of Terraria

TheNameless, The MechE and Pingeh like this.
  7. Please lose hope quietly in the corner, away from the people who are enjoying themselves.

The Squid and Plex_Director like this.
  8. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

@Mecheon
    You bring up a few interesting tidbits of information. For example, how the creator of the Avali mod considered moving on to another game. But answer this: why should this one person's opinion sway the plethora of fans who look at this thread and say, "Man, the devs are really doing a great job with this game"? I understand that you and many others share his opinions, and I respect your opinions, but are the Starbound forums really the best place to give harsh criticism about the game's development? I mean, it's one thing if you're doing this in a feedback thread, but doing it elsewhere isn't helpful; in fact, all it does is start arguements. The fact is, many people on the forums are quite happy with the direction the game is going in. If you would like to critique and review this game, I would highly recommend doing so in either a feedback thread, which is where feedback belongs, or elswhere on the internet.

9. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

My reaction to the Avali mod whatever:

I mean it. I literally cannot care if some modder who worked on an unfinished skeleton of a game gives up and goes elsewhere. Mods are neat and all, but I didn't plunk down my money specifically for one person's mod.

Or ANYONE'S mod, really.

yclatious and The Squid like this.
  10. The MechE

The MechE Existential Complex

Me either, but it does show something about the developers if a highly invested member is willing to quit.

That being said, they did acknowledge their mistakes, so I hope they take this game in the right direction. Either way, sucks to lose a strong member of the community.

Pingeh likes this.
  11. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

"Someone stops playing a game" describes every game ever. This is an utter non-event. This is a fraction of a percentage of the player base this "effects".

Keep fishing, maybe someday someone will bite.

12. The MechE

The MechE Existential Complex

Not fishing, just pointing out the other side of the argument. Think it's fair to look at both sides

13. Mecheon

Sipher, man, I'm comparing this to a game where people earn actual cash-money from the Youtubes by playing mods of a game or, heck, even just the game itself

This game is going to be compared to its competition over and over, and against them? Starbound is a novelty at best, failing to catch an audience that sticks around. You've got the modded behemoth Minecraft, and then you've got Terraria's last patch which was ridiculously massive. Meanwhile Starbound has... More complicated farming?

(also i'm trying to get ryuujin to come back to neverwinter nights but that's just my scheme)

Pingeh likes this.
  14. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

More complicated farming was a relatively small update they added several days ago. When you look at what they've added recently? The fossil minigame! Tons of new biomes! In just a matter of weeks they implemented colonization (almost fully) into the nightlies. Another thing I feel compelled to point out: Minecraft and Terraria are finished games. Starbound is not. It's like comparing a half-built house to a sky-scraper; the sky-scraper will almost always feel more "complete," as it's been around for longer.

Jonesy and Warkid like this.
  15. Warkid

Warkid Master Chief

THANK YOU!!!!

Just wow... blows my mind that no one else has realized that! Honestly stop comparing an unfinished game to games that have had a FULL RELEASE for 6 and 4 years. Just wow... the logic is not there.

Also please stop comparing it to terraria as these two games are vastly different in their concepts.

Bottom line is. No one cares if you want to complain about the game without giving constructive criticism. There is a difference between contributing to the betterment of the game as apposed to just "well its what I want in the game". The devs will always do what they feel is the best direction for the game. If you think they can do something better that the vast majority of people that are playing their game will enjoy then by all means go ahead and share. But please stop complaing in a negative fashion and start phrasing your complaints to be constructive. Honestly chances are anything you have to complain about, they've probably already heard it.

The reason people are unhappy with the game is because they want a Minecraft or terraria clone and they have these expectations of what they want starbound to be. News flash, starbound is its OWN game. So please understand what starbound is and planning to be, be happy with that and enjoy the game or if it's not for you that's fine. Move on.

The Squid and Hatsya Souji like this.
  16. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

I AM someone who earns actual money from making internet videos. The people who actually make full, livable-income money off such things are, again, a tiny fraction of a percentage of the wole. And the relevancy of this in the first place is questionable at best.

Between that and the continued ignoring of the game's in-development state and acting like "more complicated farming" is the only notable change in a while, we're swimming in gross misrepresentations.

17. Kashmir

Kashmir Giant Laser Beams

I look at the game kind of like I do the incarnations of The Doctor. ( I know, a Whovian to the core)
    When I bought the game, it was Pertwee, very good, could use improvement
    Now, with nightly, it's Capaldi. Seriously improved and getting better all the time
    By the time it's released, it will be Tennant. You don't get much better than that..
    Tennant was worth waiting for. This game will be also.

Harakhti likes this.
  18. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Out of curiosity - do you own counter-strike?
    One of the most profitable paid mods on earth.

19. yclatious

yclatious Guest

Wait a sec, hold up the phone, people actualy care about Ryujins opinions?

I verry much don't care for the ballmalarkey about the game development, but people actualy listened and cared about that guy?THAT guy?

He called people who didn't agree with paid mods by posting a picture saying Terrorists Win, saying we were dooming a great idea.Paid modding, and he acted by calling us terrorists.

He made a species mod for furries that got hype, and while I don't like that sort of stuff in the least, I respect those that do and its quality, but caring for anything he ever did except his mod?

He seems like a complete douche nozzle to me, and I never got any counter indication to it.Taking him seriously is something I never though anyone would do, really.

20. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Nope, and I fail to see any relevance to the issue at hand.