1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Tips, ideas, examples on basic construction.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Reyghel, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Reyghel

Reyghel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hello everyone.

I request the help of those who have more experience in building bases.
    I am starting my second game from 0 on his highest difficulty, but I have not played for a long time and I have seen that they changed a lot of things.

I am looking for advice, aids or ideas on building a base
    One of the things that annoys me the most, stresses me is the construction of a base.
    I am a practical type, say that usually I build everything that has an application function such as a cast iron. So I do not believe the things that are merely decorating, but I have seen the constructions of the dungeon or moon base or other places and I feel like adding decorations. I have also seen wonderful constructions that have made the fans and I have been marveled and speechless.

Is it good to build it on the starting planet?
    Is it better to build it in some dungeon you can find?
    What are the pros and cons of building it on the ship?
    Is it better to save resources and money to build my base in a Space Station?
    What kind of rooms do they put to their bases? (A kitchen, restaurant, rest room, weapons, library, storage store, farm, museum, zoological, laboratory)
    Create a colony near the base?
    Is it better to create the base near a city or town that was previously created?

I accept the recommendation of mods, whether for construction or other things, I leave a list of the mods I am using
    I like the component of the exploration and go discovering the objects.

PS: I'm sorry for my basic English language skills, I'm using the google translate. I hope you can understand what I'm thinking,

The list of mods I use and try to keep updated are as follows:

Extradungeon
    Frackin Universe
    Gardenbot2
    Learnblueprintsonscan
    ZzClassicFoodMechanics
    EnhancedStorage
    Healthycapturefixed
    Instant_crafting
    Item Frame v1.31 (p1.2)
    Mementomori
    Pokeballs v1.4.1
    The Game Hunter v1.52 (p1.2)
    WEdit

2. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Hmm.... I don't know much on mod list, but it doesn't really matter where building is concerned. At least when building decoratively.

I'd say look at pics of structures in our world and other might give ideas. For me I sort of do that on occasion only because I tend to focus on the building part of the game, with exploration being a close second.

Practical is fine. That is a start at least. Thinking for function is a fine way to build. I think the key or at least one key is to think what function it will serve not just yourself, but to others. Like some of the things you mentioned.

-Kitchen for a cook, or cooking in general; but what about a nice bar or restaurant to go with it. You could even put a couple stalls off to the side with restrooms. Maybe even make it into a bed & breakfast type of place; where on a floor or two above is few individual rooms for guests to sleep in, while the lower level would be the restaurant.

-Storage/Warehouse: obviously where you store excess things. Organization aside, the place could be shipping containers upon shipping containers below ground. Above ground it could be a port for landing a small shuttle, like a helicopter pad with a building next to it being a waiting room with benches and seats. Could incorporate the above restaurant idea into that as well. Otherwise it could be more warehouses above ground with other things.

-Museum/zoo: To show off what was collected throughout the universe; whether it be critter or object. Having one big room isn't recommended, since not every visitor would have hawk eyes. To see ones own progress in a collection is something I like doing sometimes, as that is the other thing that goes along with my building focus. As to style that is a tricky one, since there are many styles throughout history of museums in the way they make them. Usually though in each and everyone of them they divide them up in wings or separate rooms grouping certain things together that would relate, while having the front being the presentation and information center; at least in present day ones.

-Farms: Just have a silo or barn and a house near a field. The house could be a barracks for the workers or the owner of the house. While the silo or barn being obviously the storage. The farm itself could be all one thing or multiple crops. It being things needed for ingredients for cooking. As well a pasture for the livestock if wanted.

-Workbenches: Technically you could make several workshops for these depending on how many you have to work with. Some would be grouped together in separate rooms. Buildings could be separated and decorated according to what the workbenches are. Like an armory for the equipment benches, a Lab for anything that involves chemistry or alchemy, and the farming things could very well go with the farm or restaurant. As to the blocks and decor type ones it could be a school or study with them; like a library maybe.

What the point is is to direct that practicality/function minded thoughts towards what people in general would use it for. Entertainment, storage, work of some kind, and resting area. This is somewhat how I go about building is to designate a primary function to what the building would offer and go from there adding what would seem necessary to visitors. This is going beyond what the game mechanics would have one do. Looking at real world examples is a good idea to at least see a connection for how to fill space... to an extent. I build NPC villages a lot so I am always thinking on what they need as if they were in the real world. Not always easy, but sometimes is the simple things that make up the big picture.

Start small and add as you go. Make another wing of the complex if needed.

As to where... That depends on what you want it for. Money from NPCs... high tier planet. Somewhere safe, the station or lowest tier planet if not a barren one; although I personally wouldn't build on the barren one. Thank goodness for terraforming.

Just be sure to have a teleporter or flag there to get back to said base/place.

Building near a colony can have pros and cons. More cons if you build on a fire rain planet. I usually build a bit a ways out from them, or build my own colony.

I don't know if what I mention is what you were looking for as an answer, but I did my best to at least have ideas; and explain a way to go about it.

Reyghel and Exilyth like this.
  3. whipping post

whipping post Cosmic Narwhal

There was a really dope design tutorial floating around the forums a few months ago, i'll see if i can track it down

@Reyghel found it.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    Namtazar, Tamorr and Reyghel like this.
  4. Exilyth

Exilyth Scruffy Nerf-Herder

As far as I know, memento mori and extra dungeons are part of frackin universe already.

I prefer to build my bases/colonies on ocean planets since they're relatively peacefull (and I like the biome).
    Building on high tier planets means you will have to deal with high tier monsters, which can be tedious.

Protip: ALWAYS check the weather of a planet and don't build on planets which can have meteors.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    Reyghel and Tyle like this.
  5. Tyle

Tyle Existential Complex

^Check the weather, it's important.

I myself isn't much of a builder - during my early 'scrub' phase I happened to find one of these pre-generated houses on top of a small hill:

[​IMG]

It's where I settled. Living on a starter planet has the bonus of 'owning' the entire planet to yourself. :D
    Cause, uh, I'm a very sentimental player who grew attached to her starter planet, I kept renovating the house and adding more into it, it's still where I live even after the end of the game. This is how it looks like now.

[​IMG]

There's an underground lab and stuff that goes all the way down and extends to the core fragment mine below - down the hill to the left is an open farm where I keep all my fluffalos so they have plenty of space to live in (like a real farm). The only mods I use that help me in my buildings are all crop related(Compact and Perennial crops), I think.

Dunno how much this can help but I guess you can use it as an example - I'm the kind of people who prefer a house that looks nice to live in than one that is more practical in a gaming sense (i.e. everything you need/practical to you is within an arm's reach), but this is what I can provide right now, so here you yo!

6. Reyghel

Reyghel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

@Tamorr wow man, excellent set of ideas that you presented to me. Believe it or not I was allowed to have a concept about what I would like to have. You worked through all that explanation.

@whipping post Thank you very much for finding this tutorial, I will look at it and try to get ideas or advice.

@Exilyth I did not know or had not read that the Frackin Universe already had these built-in mods. Thank you for letting me know. I will have your idea of building in the oceanic planets in mind, I will look for some Hylotl underground settlement and I will take over or make myself a friendly neighbor. It is very good to keep in mind that of the monsters and their levels. I'd better watch out for the weather, and a small base was destroyed by those miserable meteorites. It will not happen to me again.

@Tyle I think your idea is excellent, I at the beginning in my previous game had a similar home and I added more things, but never get to complete a mansion like the one shown below.

Thank you for the ideas and advice you gave me.

Tamorr and Tyle like this.
  7. Darshin

Darshin Void-Bound Voyager

Reyghel likes this.