1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

tips for building hylotl buildings?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Kaede Grimwater, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Kaede Grimwater

Kaede Grimwater Existential Complex

is there anyone who can offer suggestions for a hylotl house or town? i dont want to be a bother on anyone, and im sorry if i am.
    im just not the most creative builder in the world.

2. TrueEdge

TrueEdge Phantasmal Quasar

You could try Bioshock style of industrial towers or try out colonist survival pods that are stood up on stilts.

Make buildings in the shape of bubbles attached to each other with thin strips of metal.

3. Kaede Grimwater

that is a neat idea, thanks.

4. TrueEdge

TrueEdge Phantasmal Quasar

You're welcome! :)

Maybe have the bottom half of the bubble be made of metal and the top half glass.

Kaede Grimwater likes this.
  5. Kirumaru

Kirumaru Pangalactic Porcupine

Whenever I have questions like this - and I'm not saying you did anything wrong - I usually take it up on the Screenshots sub-forum.

You can find an absolute treasure trove of inspirational ideas there just by browsing some of the longer, or more popular threads, and people are typically quick to reply with builds they have done and have screenshots of - or maybe pitch you some new ideas as well.

Personally, I have never build any Hylotl stuff even though Hylotl are one of the more fascinating races and lores to me. I'm waiting for them to implement some real Hylotl settlements first - but I have seen some really great surface and underwater bases in the Screenshots section of the forums. :)

Good luck on your noble venture.

Kaede Grimwater likes this.
  6. Kaede Grimwater

thanks for the info friend.

7. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

Speaking of bioshock'ish (kinda) structures i built this (if you want too see a example, no idea if it will be to your likeing off course):

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Its a work in progress.

Other then that i would suggest going for a asian theme with your buildings if you want them to be Hylotl. Either old style asian temples or ultra modern japanese style, or a mixure of the two (my personal preference when it comes to Hylotl stuff is mixing old and modern).

8. Kaede Grimwater

thank you for the pictures and the tips.

9. SivCorp

SivCorp Parsec Taste Tester

10. Kilowolf

Kilowolf Big Damn Hero

how do you get the water to drain. Taking out the background blocks only floods the room

11. latias1290

latias1290 Phantasmal Quasar

There's a block that drains the water. I think it's found in USCM Penal Colonies, but I forgot what it's called. You'll most likely find one in the shower area of the prison.

I never played Bioshock but that looks awesome. I'm gonna make one like that now.

12. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

You can make a working drain at a wiring bench.

Also, airlock in action (one of the first things i finished):

13. Kaede Grimwater

that whole RP sounds like a good idea, maybe i should record my colonization of the Waterosa Wake system. not on the forums of course for two reasons, one im to shy to do so, two that would be just copying you, and that would be mean.

SivCorp likes this.
  14. Kirumaru

Kirumaru Pangalactic Porcupine

No, you should do it on the forums.

1) Because building structures is more fun when you share them with others - and so is telling a role-play story.
    2) Copying others - or being inspired by others - is flattering and just give credit when its due.

I think you'll find this community - particularly the builders and crafters - very friendly and encouraging.

SivCorp likes this.
  15. Kaede Grimwater

something to consider, but im not very good at RP, or building, or english, still it does sound fun.

16. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

If you want my suggestion, I suggest using either the screenshots forum or google image search for peoples existing builds, and then go from there.

A few months ago, I built this after realizing a bunch of Hylotl-themed builds used Soft Brick:

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, Chucklefish retextured Soft Brick with the Pleased Giraffe update, so I will have to experiment to see if the style still looks good for Hylotl buildings.

SivCorp, TheFloranChef and Kirumaru like this.
  17. SivCorp

SivCorp Parsec Taste Tester

I encourage you to try it. You only get better by trying :)