Tier 6 water-based Planet options and secondary biomes for ocean planets

Discussion in 'Planets and Environments' started by Haedia, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Haedia

Haedia Tentacle Wrangler

The fact that tier 6 planets don't have much primary biome diversity is a real shame. It's mostly lava or scorched things. And yeah, it's a fiery star system but I feel like the lack of biome diversity at tier 6 makes for some fairly same-y feeling experiences. I know all the best gear and ore is there, generally, but all the red, brown, and black over and over again is just tiring after awhile.

And the fact that there's only two tiers with ocean biomes (with no secondary biomes on them, like, c'mon guys, so many cool things could exist with secondary biomes there) is unfortunate.

It'd be really neat to have more water-based options. Like, maybe have a tier 6 ocean planet with a nearly complete covering of ice (or even a like midnight or scorched type biome on the surface layer), but allowing for variations on whatever that surface layer is. But, dig down far enough and break through into a deep, dark ocean below. If tier 6, it could be a scarier, more difficult ocean area than the ocean and arctic biomes currently in the game, tier 5 and below. Maybe taking visual cues from bioluminescent deep deep sea creatures and such on earth. Like, there's so much amazing nightmare fuel creatures to be inspired by, which could definitely make such a tier-6 planet difficult and fun.

Also, the fact that arctic biomes currently have no hylotl cities is unfortunate. It makes them less fun to visit. There's little reason to go to them as-is other than fishing and ore, but with other tier 5 and 6 planets with quests and such, why spend much time there at all? So maybe, add some more diverse secondary biomes to the surface islands or to sections on the ocean floor or give them some npc life. Maybe have a particularly stubborn kind of hylotl that refuse to be deterred by the cold. I mean, it seems like florans would probably have left arctic hylotl alone, during the war they had.

Blevruz likes this.
  2. Blevruz

Blevruz Phantasmal Quasar

I feel like arctic ocean planets are perfect for gigantic marine abominations, like krakens or leviathans

I'd love to see giant mining facilities/foundries in lava ocean, as a way to get to the ores. That'd be neat.

Poison oceans could have research facilities in them, with scientists studying the weird mutations or something.
    Perhaps some huge miniknog dungeon ? Since it's mostly empty anyway

Secondary biomes, like high-up continents (unlike FU's approach, which looks weird) would be quite cool. Just ensure that it always generate higher than sea level.