1. Welcome to the Art + Literature sections! Some things to keep in mind:
    • It's a good idea to specify whether or not you're looking for critique from your fellow members. Please don't let friendly criticism turn into an all-out flame war.
    • Art and literature often deal with mature subjects. This is fine, but please keep in mind that we'd like to keep things PG-13. Don't let discussions get out of hand, and if they do, please alert a moderator.
    • If you've got a request, please use the [REQUEST] prefix!

Pixel These Few Pixels

Discussion in 'Art' started by Lord Octopus, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Lord Octopus

Lord Octopus Starship Captain

I wanted to make a place to post for my pixel art. I tend to try and make them as small as possible without loosing the idea of the thing I create. Obsession in small I have even learned braille because it takes up less space than a pixelated text. (If I do post something in braille I will make sure that there is a translation)​

To start off I just finished something I have had on my mind for a long time. It is larger than my usual drawings.
    [​IMG]

I often see little monsters like this in a video game and wish they could be more. My idea was that this slime had similar ambitions and at the moment of triumph realizes this is not at all where he wants to be. Welcome to level 2 little guy!

My posts from the weekly pixel off:

[​IMG]
    First entry was late, but fun anyway. we had to make a start screen for a randomly generated video game name. I used the first name I got and ran with it

[​IMG]
    For the cyberpunk challenge I went abstract. I was beat by an animation that was submitted after the deadline (it was pretty cool).

[​IMG]
    Te concept of this one is that you would choose a hero and scroll to the right to go on an adventure.
    I had to stop even though I had many more plans on what to make in it including: a gnome village, climbing a mountain, ruins area, volcano/lava area, a sail across an ocean, an underwater section, labyrinth, dungeon, and tons of little bonus things to make it interesting and exiting.
    It took about 3 days of work and cannot be posted in the forums at larger sizes without being split up (which in my opinion ruins the adventure)
    [​IMG]
    For the nostalgia challenge, Jason and his pet frog from blaster master. It is too bad that it was the only entry, maybe the topic was too complex time go simple.

[​IMG]
    CUTE!!! challenge entry. There are some pretty tough contenders, Happy 1 year anniversary Weekly Pixel Off!

[​IMG]
    So few pixels it makes me smile. It didn't win but it is my favorite.

[​IMG]
    Almost a decade before we rode chocobo these were our feathery mounts.

[​IMG]
    this tied for the win so I let the other guy have it. Could have worked more on the tree to smooth it out and I dislike the fire.

[​IMG] This was a pain to make. I had to take each individual frame as a separate picture and put them in a gif animator from the 90s that I found for free. My photoshop is old and does not have the ability to animate gif files.

[​IMG]
    not much effort went into this one,

[​IMG]
    this one either, I was in an art slump.

[​IMG]
    this one turned out pretty cute

[​IMG]
    I thought it was pretty good, but some of the frames are wrong. I think I am getting the hang of the program I am using

[​IMG]
    This was for the battle with Dragonith.
    [​IMG]
    This was for the same battle, but I liked this one.

[​IMG]
    Tortus and the Hare. A bit simple, but I thought it was cute.

[​IMG]
    Eris the goddess of chaos.

[​IMG]
    It will never threaten to stab you.

[​IMG]
    Dragonith has stated that he is taking a break from the weekly pixel off. Best draw a picture for him.

Art requests that I somehow found time for:

Trading card requests from DwarfOnix:
    [​IMG]
    This is something I whipped up quickly as a joke on a spider queen but he seemed to like it
    This is what I made as a more serious reply for the spider queen. I then edited for content because he stated the game might have younger players. (by monster breasts) although fantasia was just as bad.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Still for the trading card game request this is Lure the giant. (I am not too happy with how he turned out but free art is not always the greatest.)
    [​IMG]
    In the beginning I made him too big and realized there were no trees that he could have made that club from. It worked out well because after the scale change his hand was just begging for a person to squish in his fingers.

[​IMG]
    Yay fire wolf, I finally figured it out after making my cute dragon flames

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]
    These are some weapons, Yay.

[​IMG] Dwarven Warriror

[​IMG]
    The sword of agony, so named because it is agonizingly difficult to sharpen. The red aura coming off of it was fun because it looks translucent. I did this by taking the color behind it and giving it a red hue.

[​IMG]
    An Orc blade. I wanted orcs to have their technology based on wood and bones. This was heavily inspired by swords from Hawaii.
    [​IMG]
    Childs bow (Aww man lets beat the game with this!)

[​IMG]
    An Elven bow, or is it a batleth?
    [​IMG]
    an ancient dwarven axe oxidized green is cool
    [​IMG]
    Hurricane staff, i think it would create a breeze simply holding it therefore nice on hot days.
    [​IMG]
    gloves of strength
    I did them with a few different color aura so he could choose what he wanted
    [​IMG]
    Health Potion: for the general healing
    [​IMG]
    Poison Potion: drink at your own risk
    [​IMG]
    Delirium Potion: wait am I confused?

[​IMG]
    Master Heal Potion: for when you just can't get enough health.
    [​IMG]
    Weapon Refining Potion: Made from metal essence

[​IMG]
    Buff Potion: Want to get strong? Eat steak. Want to get strong faster? Drink steak!

Current art requests in queue: 41

I am also glad to help out other pixel artists.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  2. DarkTails

DarkTails Big Damn Hero

Cripes that's level 2? What must level 10 be, it gets as big as a planet? Lol

3. Lord Octopus

It is from his perspective but really it is just a low level rat and lizard thing.

4. DarkTails

DarkTails Big Damn Hero

SlimePounder, Eater of Worlds! :p

5. Lord Octopus

[​IMG]
    Alright this is more like it! I said I normally work in a smaller scale and here it is.

Normo likes this.
  6. Lord Octopus

This was way too much fun.
    [​IMG]
    Translation
    [​IMG]

Edit: fixed a typo

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
    Ixantir and Normo like this.
  7. Lord Octopus

[​IMG]
    Just made this for a draw me a pokemon weekly contest thingy thought i would stick it up here too.
    Not sure I like the way it turned out, To me it feels blurry, but from a bit of a distance it looks fine.
    Also Lopunny is an odd pokemon, kind of sleazy or something.:unsure:

Ixantir, Normo and WoxandWarf like this.
  8. blitZee

blitZee Void-Bound Voyager

Just a quick question. Did you actually drew the entire thing (including background) pixel by pixel, or did you add a blur afterwards? I find it hard to believe that any experienced pixel artist would put almost 10k colors onto a piece with that kind of dimensions. It looks pretty good, yes, but it looks like only a few parts of the drawing is actual pixel art. The other part looks like standard digital art with a heavy blur on top of it. Just a quick notice.

9. Bacca

Bacca 1.2020569031595...

8bitChuckNorris.jpg is this is eny good?

Pilzner likes this.
  10. Lord Octopus

It has some great qualities, although I am not sure I am the best person to ask for a critique. I guess to begin it would be helpful to know if this is entirely original or if you used a template to start from? I would have done a bit to the hair, looks like someone spilled coffee in it (hate to be the guy who did that). Also without the label I would have not known who it was, did Chuck ever grow mutton chops like that?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  11. Lord Octopus

Absolutely, heck no i would never make anything with that many colors by pixel. I made the background from scratch in photoshop and blurred the lopunny to match. This is pre-blur bunny.
    [​IMG]
    You can even tell I put the purple swirl in after I had made the background because I knew I had to blur it later. I left it unblended.
    My intention on its creation was pixel art but I got lazy and now it is digital art in a pixel art stylization?
    Just depends on what you consider pixel art and when does that line cross into some other medium.

Normo likes this.
  12. Normo

Normo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

He didn't make it, do a quick search for '8 bit chuck norris' on Google and you'll find lots of versions of it.
    Also, your pixel art is really nice!

Lord Octopus likes this.
  13. Lord Octopus

I was pretty sure he did not make it because of his use of "eny", but I was trying to be polite about it :rolleyes:.

14. llleo

llleo Tentacle Wrangler

awesome!

Lord Octopus likes this.
  15. llleo

llleo Tentacle Wrangler

i love píxel art, for me is simply awesome! you should do a game art, you style certainly would make any game looks interessing ^-^

Lord Octopus likes this.
  16. Lord Octopus

I don't think I am a very good artist or anything, I am just having fun. I am glad you are enjoying what I make though. I love pixelated games because they make you use your imagination in ways that other games can't. I feel more immersed in games like StarTropics than in modern shooter or adventure games. That is probably why I am drawn to games like Starbound.

17. llleo

llleo Tentacle Wrangler

what pixelated good games you know? im searching for them for a long time, but i just find some few games

18. Lord Octopus

My favorite game of all time (I am currently making something for the weekly pixel off about) Blaster master NES, and Blaster Master: Enemy Below for the GBC. You can download the GBC one on a 3DS. I am surprised at how many newer games are taking the pixel rout. I am looking forward to Rimworld (currently getting an art overhaul). FTL is great, getting a big expansion soon! I have been eying Risk of Rain just because I love the minimalist pixel art style. There are a lot of games out and about old and new that have the retro feel so keep an eye out and also visit some of the classics.

19. llleo

llleo Tentacle Wrangler

im checking out all these games c:

my favorites pixel games are zzzz-zzzz-zzzz (the name is right) , gunpoint, and some others that i dont remember :s

Lord Octopus likes this.
  20. Lord Octopus

I thought it would be fun to show my process of creation. This week I made a weekly pixel off off Blaster master and made sure to copy everything after each step instead of just continuing to draw.
    [​IMG]
    This tank is called Sophia. I like to start with lines on complex things like this, blot out the colors, then shade till it looks good. I also added a light and changed the way the wheels attached durring the shading process.

Well that is done now lets make Fred the frog.
    [​IMG]
    For a more organic look I find it is better to just skip the line step (also saves a bunch of time). I realized while blocking out some color that he was a really bright green and did not look good next to the tank i just made, so i switch out the colors.

Now it is time to put them together
    [​IMG]
    Just did a quick set of lines and then filled in color/ shading. I made it look like the tank was lighting the underground by making it get darker farther away and putting an extreme shadow on Fred.

Now that the lighting has changed I needed to fix Fred to match
    [​IMG]
    That is much better, I will have to touch him up later to make all that blended but first.

Hours of dithering...
    [​IMG]
    Why! The monotony! The horror! Well, it does looks much better now.

That was... okay lets Finish up on Fred.
    [​IMG]
    There that looks nice

Then we are done, although I would have liked to add some sort of shadow below Sophia ( but she is the light and I couldn't figure out where to put it) and then change the lighting on her to be under-lit but that is hard and I wanted to get it submitted.

Normo, blitZee and neil_v like this.