Chat The Ultimate Pronunciation Help Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Iaeyan Elyuex, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Iaeyan Elyuex

Iaeyan Elyuex Cosmic Narwhal

This is an attempt to make a megathread for anyone looking for the correct way to pronounce something, whether from a video game, some other work, or even real life. Try to spell the syllables phonetically, as not all of us can read dictionary symbols. The schwa is okay, and it is pronounced like the vowel sound in the second syllable of "table". Put an apostrophe to the left of the syllable that is stressed (said loudest...?). If you have a request for correct pronunciation, bring it here instead of cluttering the forums with threads on the topic. I saw at least three threads asking how to pronounce "Hylotl" (which gave me twice as many answers).

I'll start. Here are my queries for pronunciation:

the "-fos" suffix from enemies in Legend of Zelda games (ex. Lizalfos, Aeralfos)
    Avali
    Hylotl (hopefully I can get some answers from a dev or something and finally end this mystery)
    Ald-Ruhn (TES3)
    Dwemer ('Dway-mer or 'Dweh-mer?)(TES)
    Dreugh (TES)

Here's some pronunciations I know.
    Gerudo- 'Geh-roo-doh (I thought it was Jeh-'roo-doh basically my whole life)
    Samus- 'Sah-muss
    Zweilous- 'Zveye-luss ("eye" is the long I)
    Suicune- 'Swee-koon
    Gradius- 'Grad-ee-uss

2. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

I was always under the impression that Avali was 'Ah-vah-lee', since the Americanized alternative pronunciations don't seem to make sense.

I know Dreugh is pronounced as something along the lines of 'Dreg' (it's referred to as such in Oblivion at one point). I'm pretty sure the pronunciations for Dwemer and Ald-Ruhn are pretty straightforward in comparison.

3. Lodish

Lodish Black Hole Surfer

I think avali is pronounced 'aVA-li', where the 'va' is stressed, and followed by a small pause before the 'li'.
    I also think that Hylotl is pronounced 'hailotl', the 'hy' sounds like 'hai'

Anyway this is what I think, but it may be inaccurate due to the fact that I am french (bad accent and all that stuff)

4. newcomer3

newcomer3 Big Damn Hero

I asked Tiyuri in his AMA thread a while back, and he said that Hylotl is pronounced "hi-lot-all".

5. glao15831

glao15831 Void-Bound Voyager

I alway think it's pronounced Hai-lot

6. LyricLyricandmoreLyric

LyricLyricandmoreLyric Phantasmal Quasar

"It's Levio-SA NOT Levio-saaaaahhhh!"