The Strange and Unusual

Discussion in 'Other' started by Inferno_Draconis, Jun 30, 2012.

1. DexterDanielA

DexterDanielA Astral Cartographer

I think you should add a deserted apex lab with a single chair but when you come back there is a secret chamber with big ape inside a capsul looking at you. after attacking the capsul big ape is gone and a duplicate of you in an apex versoin attacks you. dealing no damage. when he is killed so are you. your ship is now full of minikong.

2. Dunham18

Dunham18 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This is the best request i have read in a while you have my like :) .

3. linkthegamer

linkthegamer Master Astronaut

IKR, Most the suggestions are unnerving without getting into the realm of creepypasta genre-breaking gore fest and would leave me going "What the actual fluff?" Most the others are just silly (like the sneezing jack-o-lantern).

4. codebracker

codebracker Subatomic Cosmonaut

How about a planet that turns out to be a Genius Loci?
    It often contains a lot of Minor odities, but is a Major odity in itself.
    It occasionally changes the layout of caves and sometimes you just get hit by lightning for no reason (non lethal).
    Sometimes villages located on it simply dissappear or new villages appear (or a village is sudenly empty).
    Occasionaly plants grow over your house when you are gone, or a tree suddenly falls on a monster and kills it.
    When you reach the core, it is a single eyeball and it just stares at you.
    If you hit it it just blinks, taking no damage.

5. Crispyballz

Crispyballz Starship Captain

On a dark and empty planet, you enter a small shack with lots of paintings in it of evil and twisted faces, staring at you. If you choose to sleep in the shack or walk away, when you come back, the only thing on the walls will be windows, implying that these were not in fact paintings, but creatures staring at you when you were in the shack.
    If the player chooses to chop down the paintings with the faces, the noise of broken glass will appear and the faces will fade away into the darkness.
    When you enter this planet, slow and creepy music will be playing - not entirely loud and scary, but more calm, yet spooky.
    Something like this:

6. braydon

braydon Phantasmal Quasar

I think it should be maybe, a little more sci-fi and a little less black magic. The grim reaper?

they should give us a planet where you can't breath but their is a flourishing city of avians. Or a planet with underwater florans and hylotl living in trees. Something like that that doesn't require black magic. (see grim reaper)

7. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

man those ideas are so awesome... it would change starbound for the best, to such degree, the narrative and creep/mystery factos are massive, it would certainly keep people hunting fr those weird happenings, counting myself i love strange things, random events happening around me or wherever i go, damn you could even make achievements out of this...

i know you aint taking more suggestions but id like to share a couple ideas:

1- on what seems to be a highly advanced planet, you find nothing but deserted cities that have started to crumble to the passing of time, on the city hall (or whatever important looking building) the player character finds a roughly written journal and an empty ampoule, the journal reads "...after years of experimenting... the apex have begun their march". (idea inspired by the lore of the Ethereal race, by HorustheChorus)

2- after staying a set ammount of days on a planet (3,7 or 13) and returning to your ship, you find that the starmap has been toyed with, and now the coordinates display a "it's too early" "you must play with us" exiting the map will automatically beam you down to the surface in front of an apparently occupied cottage. The nature of its inhabitants (or its content) depending on the message displayed on the starmap. the messages varying from a childish prank to an impish joke or murderous threat.

Inferno_Draconis likes this.
  8. CandyToast

CandyToast Void-Bound Voyager

How about on a fairly deserted planet, you can see the shadows of huge star ships, if you follow them for a while, you hear a ringing and the screen goes dark, you awake in an abandoned Apex Laboratory, the planet partially destroyed.

Here's one for Minor Oddities:

Whenever you walk around in one of these seemingly abandoned towns, you hear the sound of heavy breathing and walking hardly, when you stop, the sound ends.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  9. Pseudoboss

Pseudoboss Spaceman Spiff

Fragmented bits and pieces of Lovecraft's works, he has a very brooding tone that is subtly creepy. Think finding this in an Apex lab:

" The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age."

Or
    " Life is a hideous thing, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous. Science, already oppressive with its shocking revelations, will perhaps be the ultimate exterminator of our species — if separate species we be — for its reserve of unguessed horrors could never be borne by mortal brains if loosed upon the world."

Conveniently, most of Lovecraft's works are in the Public Domain, and thus we could use them without trouble.

Plus, Lovecraft is a ridiculously impactful author whom isn't read enough and is often misinterpreted, direct quotes might lead some people to read some of his works or even on his strangely paradoxical life.

Take this to the next level, and you could have snippets of different RL authors for the other races. Apex get Lovecraft, and other similarly old authors could be given to different races.

10. CandyToast

CandyToast Void-Bound Voyager

Florans get Jules Verne! Honestly, I think Apex should get George Orwell, after all, they are based off of 1984! Not sure what the other ones could be.

11. Pseudoboss

Pseudoboss Spaceman Spiff

Sadly, 1984 and Animal Farm are not in the public domain, so CF could be sued if the publishers wanted to. (despite the fact that the works are 70 years old. Copyright holds for a maximum of 95 fucking years.)

Jules Verne is on the same timeframe as Lovecraft, a bit older, so all of his works should be public domain.

I would recommend someone like Isaac Newton to be the Glitch author. He did a fair bit of philosophy and writing from time to time and he's got a style that is from that time. Though i'd have to read some of it and other people from the same era, Galileo, DaVinci, as well.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
    CandyToast likes this.
  12. I've been off these forums for quite a while, and it surprises me how much interest this thread still attracts. It seems that a lot of people like a little touch of mystery and dark atmosphere in their games.

linkthegamer likes this.
  13. Dargona1018

Dargona1018 Existential Complex

Man, this thread is pretty kickass, man.

I guess that I may be able to contribute.

• Atop an Avian temple, a single burnt feather lays upon an outstretched balcony, with the words "I didn't want to fall" written in burnt letters on the wall.
    • In an Apex lab, you come across a body capsule, but the glass is frosted over. When you return, you see a copy of you (or just your race) in the tube. Occasionally, the eyes blink open while the lights flicker.
    • A human village stands below a hill, with a well on it. As you adventure up, you find a small children's shoe on the ground. In the well are human remains (loosely based on what I remember of Jack'n'Jill, but I have no memory, so yea.)
    • A random trader is found sleeping in their wheelbarrow. When you go and try to sleep in it, it opens up a Search menu, as if looking into a chest. There is clothing to be looted.. (If you don't get it, you are searching the vendor's corpse).

14. linkthegamer

linkthegamer Master Astronaut

I still love how everything is creepy, eerie, and bizzare without seeming like just suggestions to add creepypastas or scare movie refences to the game.

15. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

You find an NPC outside of a cemetery, who introduces themselves and explains that they're looking for the grave of an old friend. You go into the cemetery, and at the opposite end of the cemetery you find a grave with the NPC's name on it. You go back, and find that they've disappeared. All the graves now bear your character's name.

16. ScrubNiggurath

ScrubNiggurath Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Was expecting cosmetic effects and weapons that counted murdered animals, left dissapointed.

-has nothing constructiveto say and therefor has no business even posting-

17. TTCBuilder

TTCBuilder Jackpot!

Thats a great idea!
    An item you can obtain with an arbitrary number on it, and whenever you kill something with it the number ticks down.
    When the number reaches zero you instantly appear back in your ship (respawn animation and all) without losing anything except the weapon.

An npc will be aboard your ship, if you leave, he'll just disappear. But if you talk to him he'll say "So you actually did it..."
    and then walk off your ship through the wall and into space.

Wherever you killed the last thing on the world will be a huge crater.

18. TREEIO

TREEIO Seal Broken

This would be creepy.

You land on a planet which is said to be lush with life. You land to see all life gone and everything in ruin, you walk to eventually come across a town. Enter the town and you notice that everywhere there are old corpse that have been reduced to nothing but bone. You then come across a tavern where you find a very old man who appears to be drowning himself in alcohol. Attempts to communicate with the man get nothing but constant repeats of "I'm sorry" "What have I done" or "It's all my fault". When you leave the planet and return after some time you find him dead. Interacting with him gives you a picture of a young man, women, little girl and dog.

19. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

There could be a random encounter with a random NPC that would say rather sad lines, some of which would be dependent on race. All of them would make said NPC sound deeply depressed, such as regretting something they did in the past, or mentioning their families. The species-specific quotes would also add such things as making Floran NPCs in this encounter say that they regret their many kills back when that nPC used to go hunting, or, if the NPC is an Apex, would have quotes implying loss of a loved one, or some sort of nightmarish torture scenarios...
    If said NPC leaves the screen and you come back, they aren´t there, but they do appear nearby as corpses, implying that they killed themselves.