The Strange and Hilarious

Discussion in 'Other' started by Inferno_Draconis, Jul 19, 2012.

1. This idea is based on my earlier thread, The Strange and Unusual. I believe that, to keep things interesting, there should be the occasional odd happenings in Starbound. However, the scary happenings of The Strange and Unusual don't appeal to everyone, so I thought some comedy-themed happenings should be included. Note that this thread includes a few light-hearted items from the Strange and Unusual thread.
    Minor Oddities
    These events are very small and not particularly important, and some might actually pass unnoticed. Most of these events will never be explained at all.​
    • There is a malfunctioning screen on the wall which displays only static and corrupt data. As the player passes it, the words "Behind you!" flash up on the screen for a split second, then the static resumes. The screen never responds in this way again.
    • In an ancient alien ruin, ancient carvings on the wall depict the local history, but one of the carvings simply says "I woz ere".
    • While inside a medieval-style building, you pass several unoccupied suits of armour. As you do, one of them briefly scratches at its helmet, as if scratching an itch. - contribution by Shifter
    • On the seabed, you find a garden gnome, stood upright as if deliberately placed.
    • On the bridge of a large starship, a pair of furry dice are hanging near the helm.​
    • You find an oddly-coloured torch underground. If you try to take it, it teleports a short distance away with a childish giggle. - contribution by Towwl.
    • Around Halowe'en, you encounter a jack-o-lantern. If you approach it, it sneezes and vanishes. - contribution by TheAwesomeAvian
    • As you are passing by a pig, it says "Woof!". After a moment it says "Ahem... Oink?" The same pig may make this mistake more than once. - contribution by Shifter
    • A common animal performs a little dance when no-one is nearby. - contribution by Civengine
    • An NPC slaps another NPC with a haddock. - contribution by Hazzary453
    • You encounter a penguin wearing a monocle - contribution by Hazzary453
    • One particular planet you visit has a moon in the background, which is occasionally hit by a shooting star. Sometimes, however, the shooting star stops, moves aside, then continues past the moon. - contribution by Barlov Monkiss
    • In a field of flowers, one of them is considerably larger than the rest and appears to be wearing a crown. - contribution by 404james
    • While you are on a space station, an astronaut appears outside in the background and starts cleaning the windows.
    • While your are in or near a nest of poptops, one of them takes off and floats into the air for no obvious reason. - contribution by DorsiDwarf
    Bigger Mysteries
    These occurances are much more likely to get the player's attention. It is more likely that the player will find some kind of explanation for these events, but a complete explanation is still unlikely.
    • The player finds the wreck of a one-man spacecraft on the surface of a planet. Near the pilot's seat is a damaged sat-nav which reads "You have arrived".
    • While you are digging, you encounter a fossilized dinosaur which appears tom be holding a placard painted with the words "End nuclear testing now!"
    • A poptop with distinctive markings follows you wherever you go, but does not attack. If you attack it, it runs away.
    • When you try to pick a red mushroom, instead of going into your inventory, it uproots itself, opens a pair of tiny eyes on its stalk and runs away.
    • When a group of humanoid enemies attacks you, some of them are holding bananas instead of a guns. They do not appear to have noticed this oddity themselves
    • You find a broken skull with a small piece of paper sticking out of it. If you pick up the paper and read it, it says "I.O.U. one brain, signed God."
    • In a reflective surface, you see someone else's reflection, looking away from you. If you approach, it turns around, panics and runs away. - contribution by Fracture
    • One of the people in town is clearly a poptop in disguise. - based on a contribution by Barlov Monkiss
    • A tractor beam, extending from outside the atmosphere, reaches down and abducts a cow, which vanishes upwards with a surprised expression. - contribution by Barlov Monkiss
    • A group of four penguins keeps appearing in the background, watching you with binoculars. If you get too close or shoot anywhere near them, they vanish in a blur of movement. - based on a contribution by Barlov Monkiss
    • A tree talks to you. It has no face and looks like a perfectly normal tree.
    • When you return to your base, one of your scientists looks different. His face is blackened, his hair blasted back and his eyebrows missing. He does not appear to remember anything unusual.
    • You encounter a rabbit, which is sitting beside a top hat. If you approach it, the rabbit pulls an NPC out of the hat by his head and sets them down on the ground beside him. - contribution by Phantomhearts
    Major Wierdness
    These events are seriously bizarre and may even serve as the beginning of a side quest. Explaining these events is difficult, but rewarding.
    • When you visit a small village, all the people in the village will say is "Meh." When you leave the town and return, there are no people, only sheep.
    • You encounter the remains of a huge laboratory, which appears to have been almost completely destroyed by an unknown cataclysm. At the centre of the lab is a computer bank containing a cake recipe.
    • All of the graphics in one village are 8-bit. - contribution by TheAwesomeAvian
    • On an undeveloped planet, an animal gives a manic laugh, flashes red, then explodes, leaving a small crater and some roasted meat. This continues to happen from time to time on this particular planet.
    • You encounter a crashed prison ship. The on-board computer contains information on various criminals and a warning about an escapee, believed to be a master criminal who breaks into houses via the chimney. There is no name, but the file photo shows a fat, bearded man dressed in red. - based on a contribution by Shifter
    • The moon of a one particular planet is yellow and has holes in it. Every once in a while, a giant mouse can be seen poking its head out of one of the holes. - contribution by Shifter.
    • An entire forest you have visited previously has disappeared, leaving only a few bewildered animals. A forest with the exact same number and arrangement of trees turns up on another area of the planet, possibly an area that was empty last time you visited.
    • As soon as you leave a small building, it raises up on wheels and drives away.
    • You step outside of a large building to find yourself on a completely different planet.
    • A storm starts, but the clouds are pink and it's raining flowers. - contribution by DorisDwarf
    Any thoughts on this idea are welcome. Feel free to contribute your own light-hearted oddities. If possible, these events should be mysterious as well as funny. I will give credit where appropriate.
    The lists are getting quite long, so for now, I am only accepting entries suitable for the Major Wierdness list. These should be large-scale events which are pretty much impossible to miss. Anything that doesn't fit this category will still get a like if I feel that it would fit in either of the other lists.

The | Suit, Jonesy, Ricola and 15 others like this.
  2. DNAY!

DNAY! Ketchup Robot

Good, as always.:up:

3. Tea Mate

Tea Mate Existential Complex

GLaDOS?

Anyway, i thought there should be something to balance out the creepy things(said as much in the previous thread) and this is just the thing.

Perhaps there could be something with the phrase "Do not run, we are your friends"? You can always make something out of that. Especially in a game like starbound.

Also, perhaps i know an oddity. A minor one probably:
    As you walk past a neutral creature(perhaps a pig in a village) it says "Bark! Bark!" Then the text box disapears and the creature seems to be looking at you. After a moment a new text box apears saying *ahem*. The a third one saying "Oink. Oink.".

Or something like that. You get the idea - an animal mixes up it's line. It might simply be a permanent thing - one pig in a village could always be barking instead of oinking.

Ricola and Inferno_Draconis like this.
  4. civengine

civengine Big Damn Hero

Minor Oddity
    As you pass an animal it does a little dance.

404james and Inferno_Draconis like this.
  5. TheAwesomeAvian

TheAwesomeAvian Sandwich Man

Major oddity
    You find a village and its all 8-bit

Inferno_Draconis likes this.
  6. Cookie! :cookie:
    ~~Edit~~

Added to Minor Oddities.
    Added to Minor Oddities.
    Added to Major Weirdness. Thanks for the input, folks!

I've added my own to Bigger Mysteries and Major Weirdness. Hope you like. :DD

7. Tea Mate

I know one perhaps:
    While exploring you come across a crashed space-prison cell. The computer screen says something like this:
    Subject #89306730001
    Know as: Santa the Clause
    Info: This inter-galactic robber keeps breaking into peoples houses. Preferable entry point - the chimney. It is unknown what is he looking for so far, interrogations have only yielded some gibberish about distributing presents, tiny people(likely henchmen) referred to as "the elves" and the name of a location that is his HQ of operations - The North Pole. AKA Santa's workshop. END OF THE LOG ENTRY.

8. ~~Edit~~

Slightly altered and added to Major Wierdness. Thanks!

9. qazxcwe

qazxcwe Phantasmal Quasar

You can find an ancient artifact and on close examination the artifact is just a troll face on a stone

10. qazxcwe

qazxcwe Phantasmal Quasar

The artifact also looks REALLY valuable and rare ;)

11. hazzary453

hazzary453 Big Damn Hero

you see the ruin of a completely destroyed house but the doormat is pristine reading "welcome".
    a rainbow in the background has a vertical crack right though the peak and is split in two.
    a moon looks like a cookie.
    you find a random clown in your house
    you see a penguin with a monicle
    an npc slaps another with a haddock randomly
    any of these ok?

12. TheAwesomeAvian

TheAwesomeAvian Sandwich Man

one of your weapons is randomly transformed into a #1 fan finger, it functions exactly the same

13. civengine

civengine Big Damn Hero

You land on a planet and as you step out and do an over exaggerated walk an NPC walks out and says "What are you doing?"

Chaos_of_Ages and buttershoes like this.
  14. Barlov Monkiss

Barlov Monkiss Big Damn Hero

• A village populated by bobble heads and dashboard hula dancers.
    • Old Yeller's Grave (At night a rabid zombie dog chases you)
    • A missing persons poster, telling anyone that if they find Elvis Tesley, that he should phone home immediately.
    • Clouds shaped like balloon animals
    • Random Black Monoliths with no inscriptions
    • Easter Island heads
    • Pot of Gold at the end of a rainbow guarded by several leprechauns. Only appears right after a rain shower and will disappear after a while or if it starts raining again.
    • Your ship computer randomly says "I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that."
    • A sign that says "Beware of Gort"
    • Some Lady yells "Take your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape!"
    • Scrawled across an ice-cave wall is "KHAAANNNN!"
    • A corpse with a note that says "should have made a left toin at Albukoykee" and has a pair of (equipable?) bunny ears.
    • A sign that says "You are here." With an arrow pointing down.
    • A broken light that keeps blinking SOS in Morse Code
    • Someone has TP stuck to their shoe
    • Someone dressed up as a Slimian jumping around
    • A mime... that follows you and stares at you whenever you turn your back, but looks away when you face him.
    • A horse with a pointed object tied to it's head
    • A random frog with a crown. Don't ask what happens when you try to kiss it.
    • A mirror that reflects you as random things as you walk by
    • An acceptance letter from BoarBlisters school of something scientific
    • A boney hand holding a winning lottery ticket from some era
    • A book: "A Space Hobo's Guide to the Galaxy"
    • A village where everyone speaks Pig-Latin

15. Karoo

Karoo Big Damn Hero

a 4 block planet with high gravity (like earth gravity but its really small) and a sign saying "nothing to see here"

buttershoes and TheAwesomeAvian like this.
  16. O...kay. A little overwhlemed with ideas here. I'm afraid you'll have to wait until tomorrow before I can sort through them all!

Space0tters! ! likes this.
  17. Tea Mate

Now THAT'S a lot. Even though i think some of them are overdone or not thought through a little. Remember - quality over quantity. Some are really great though.
    I'll comment on a few if you don't mind?

Some joking is good and well, but that's pushing it a bit too far.

Perhaps it would fit a creepy mystery, but i don't see anything funny in a zombie dog chasing me.

Again, i don't see anything funny. It might fit a serious mystery, or a slightly creepy one, but i don't understand what so funny.

First of all, there's not much funny in this. Secondary, it might cause racial issues - what if i'm an avian for example? Also, talking isn't the same as touching?

First of all, almost no one will understand the morse code. Even so, it would be nice for those who do. But the problem is that it's not funny. Revised though this idea has potential.

Just pointing out these because they're simply epic.

I'm not sure about this. It might have a lot of issues.

18. Barlov Monkiss

Barlov Monkiss Big Damn Hero

I was just pooling random ideas off the top of my head, continuity is optional and sorting is a must. Not all my ideas are good after all. X3

Explanations:
    Random Black Monoliths with no inscriptions = Space Odyssey ; Unfortunately I don't think many people have seen this classic. Maybe you click on it and "You get the feeling that it is more intelligent than you are."
    Some Lady yells "Take your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape!" = Planet of the Apes ; Maybe it only happens if you're the Ape race. It's also probably a little too heavy content-wise.
    Old Yeller's Grave (At night a rabid zombie dog chases you) = probably more creepy than funny. Should be in the other thread.
    A broken light that keeps blinking SOS in Morse Code = more of an Easter egg than funny, you don't know it's there until you do.
    A boney hand holding a winning lottery ticket from some era = I honestly don't know where I was going with this... o_O

§hifter likes this.
  19. Fracture

Fracture Scruffy Nerf-Herder

For a given planet, a certain statue (or perhaps even a tree) will follow you. It will only move when there is no light on it, remaining completely stationary if hit with a flashlight or during the day. Alternatively, a planet with nothing but statues that act as such scattered throughout it. I think this would fit better in the other thread, my bad.

In a reflection of some sort, you will occasionally catch a character idling when there is no character to reflect. Upon noticing an approaching NPC or player, the character will panic and run out of the reflection.

20. ~~Edit~~

Still struggling to decide which suggestions to add. Expanded Minor Oddities and Bigger Mysteries.