The Sociology of Profanity in Society

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by YayaBunWa, Apr 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taintedwheat

taintedwheat Master Astronaut

Interpersonal communications is a good class. better than public speaking.

come on, man. unless you're going to do a lot speeches for your career, I think its a dumb class. when you learn to do this throughout your other classes and educational career.

also, i'm a communications major so if you have any questions about it let me know.

i recommend intercultural communications if your college offers that too. it's a broad class (meaning only general information is covered), but it will give some perspective of others around the world and how they deal with communication.

the idea of language as well as any type of media and how people chose to interact with it fascinates me.

I say dude a lot, Alex can say, "Dude(tte), let's get a burger!"

endermaryn likes this.
  2. endermaryn

endermaryn Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Interpersonal Communications was a lot of fun! (The teacher I had works as a TedTalks speech couch when they are doing a local show.) I was thinking of doing Public Speaking next semester. Should be an 'easy A'. As long as I do all of the work, that is. I already know how to talk to a room of people and look around to include all of them. And I pause when talking so as not to use 'filler words' like 'Umm', 'like', 'uhh' and 'you know'. I just have to get better at projecting my voice. ;) Will Public Speaking help with that? But Intercultural Communications sounds a lot more interesting and useful! I'll have to check the course catalogue and see if it is offered. Thank you for your offer to answer questions pertaining to a Communications degree. If I think of any, I'll toss them your way ^.^

I think 'Man' would suit better. I did consider 'Dude' but then Dudette would need to be considered too and possibly added to the dialogue via an if/then gender check and I am not sure how hard that would be. 'Dudette I could use a burger' also sounds weird. 'Yo, Dudette! I could use a burger' or 'lets get a burger' sounds better but then comes off as sounding like an invitation. I would then expect a confirmation box to pop up. :giggle: Then there is a problem of inflection. To me, 'Dude' has the same inflection as 'Whoa!' and can end up sounding too soft and like the person who is saying it is ultra laid back or a 'hippy' individual that could be accused of being high even if they aren't. 'Man' sounds more general when inflection is involved. As if the person is talking to the universe at large and not directly to the character. ...Not sure that paragraph makes a lot of sense but I hope if does :D But I can see Alex using 'Dude'. I think a female character might not like their gender being dismissed so readily. So I asked a feminist I know if she would have a problem with 'Man' and she said no because it sounds so general. Gah! Now I think I am overthinking things! :unsure:

taintedwheat likes this.
  3. taintedwheat

taintedwheat Master Astronaut

I've taken all the transferrable classes (and then some getting two (maybe only one more in social and behavioral sciences, this college district i moved into are being lazy looking at my transcripts that I don't even care about getting an associate in history anymore [the courses' content is what matters] more associate degrees on top of my journalism one THEN going to a uni this fall) besides like forensics and the more in-depth speech classes to make it a major BUT public speaking. I dunno if it helps with the cadence when talking to a group.

I'm kinda antisocial and not about that. But I do love the aspect where they get to find what they want to speak about and then do it. That's kinda cool. But like I mentioned, all of my other many classes makes you do all this. So repetition instead of just being solely taught teaches you something.

Blah. Could of gotten a B.A. (well eventually) and then a Masters by now, but life. And I just love learning and community college.

EDIT: NO REGRETS. I have gotten to learn a ton load about different cultures and places across the world. And continuing to learn so! Fascinating. I love all subjects.
    Doubling in comm studies and history n__n; I wanted to be a global studies minor too, but I didn't take cultural anthro and I don't have the time to since I'm moving over to the university in late August.

Learning (at any capacity, not just academia) makes you a better person to try to understand everything before positioning yourself in a constant state of prejudice.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
    endermaryn likes this.
  4. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

The thread was getting off topic, but the discussion didn't merit it enough to take any direct action.
    With that said, I have moved all the posts not relevant to the discussion to a separate thread.

Keep it civil and I won't take further action.

5. Nurio

Nurio Cosmic Narwhal

Can I ask for some feedback? Did the moderating team think I was being uncivil?
    If I had to judge for myself, I don't think I was being uncivil. I didn't beat about the bush nor did I use soft words, but I believe I was righteous in what I did and I wasn't disrespectful. ...But I'd rather hear from the moderating team than having to judge for myself and get it wrong later down the line

6. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Each moderator acts based on their own judgement, so I can't comment on other moderators opinions.
    All I can say is as if there is an issue just report the post and don't respond back. If we feel both people are acting poorly we will take action on both individuals and not just the individual who gets reported.

7. Nurio

Nurio Cosmic Narwhal

Okay, fair enough. That's sound advice. Though if I may offer an explanation for my behavior: I simply couldn't just stand by and watch when I was called a man-child. I'll try to contain myself better next time

8. Hel

Hel ✨ Johto's Finest ✨ Forum Moderator

Its because they hide on the other side of a monitor. They can say what they want to who they want because its how they get satisfaction from their "lives"

A have to agree with the others, however. You do seem nice. But its a real darn shame not everyone you meet is good. Guess there's gotta be balance of some kind.

9. Nurio

Nurio Cosmic Narwhal

Hmm, considering this is the thread for it now, I think it's on-topic for me to say that this isn't any less presumptuous or generalizing.
    Don't get me wrong, I am not condoning or agreeing with the behavior from DotA2 that Yaya described. I am simply saying that explaining it away the way you do isn't right either.
    Sure, there are people without lives who "hide behind their monitor" and therefore lash out at everyone. But that is far from an accurate description of everyone who is rude on the internet.

10. YayaBunWa

YayaBunWa Tentacle Wrangler

This one's a real hard one to explain in any simplification fit for digesting over a morning coffee. I do think that, as an Australian, Australians get their laws slightly wrong perhaps because it's genuinely back-to-front in America (you don't have Freedom of Speech here - discrimination and/or defamation of character via ethnicity, colour, language, etc, is entirely against the law. Australians often say to me "but Freedom of Speech!", and I kinda have to explain to them that they, by law, cannot say "stupid minority x y z" etc, and they tend to think I'm stuffing around with them).

I'm not entirely sure that the above actually factors into things, but I do make a point to people that if you were to take away laws prohibiting organisations, bodies, individuals, etc, from discriminating based off race, height, colour, gender, direction of the wind, blah blah, then I assure you that a lot of people would exploit that--and your best example of an audience just waiting for that "freedom" (to be a bigot) is your Internet troll. They hide behind a monitor now, but if you were to give them that Freedom, well, use your imagination (though it's worth pointing out that the fear of a broken nose is always a good incentive not to be an ass).

Moving on, let's distinguish a few things:

1) dota is a moba and therefore we are talking about an environment where you are thrown into a group of 4 other people you've never met (anonymity + unknown) and you're competing for a points system (ELO) that is often regarded as 'the benchmark for your skill'. Ouch. You're being pitted against people you don't know ALONGSIDE people you don't know.

2) I'm talking about Australians and a small percentile of people spread across OCEANIA and South East Asia. For the record: this may or may not be true, but Australians are known for having a culture of Tall Poppy Syndrome. You can look it up or you can take my definition for granted (psst, mine's from Wikipedia too): the social phenomenon in which people of genuine merit are resented, attacked, cut down, or criticised because their talents or achievements elevate them above or distinguish them from their peers (likening to 'envy of the success of peers'). This phenomenon will often occur with the goal of establishing a general normality in which all those present can feel comfortable within, or just to outright grant the aggressors their own sense of comparative superiority.

3) Try get into their heads a bit: when things got out of hand here, a mid stepped in and quelled it entirely (still waiting for a report or anything on my behaviour, but hey). When 10 randoms jerked together lose a game where not only A) they felt it wasnt their fault (Tall Poppy is applicable occasionally here), but also B ) no matter how huge the explosion of insults, attacks, violations of social ethicacy, you name it, is, all those emotions will NOT be debriefed or see any resolution. In fact (and this is where things get tricky for moba companies), all those emotions tend to carry over to the next game - in all senses. E. G. An amazing win where your team of randoms fought beautifully will probably result in everyone there being more positive in their next game, whereas a shitstorm will.. You know where that's going.

(Okay, I'm just posting this for now because I'm on my mobile and I'm terrified of losing this inbetween work and my upcoming lunch break >_>).

11. Nurio

Nurio Cosmic Narwhal

I'm using my imagination, and I don't think the "Internet troll" would do things any differently. In fact, they're the least likely to change, since they are already like this. They already have the freedom and don't need any more.
    But I also feel you are missing my point here and I am struggling to see what point you are trying to make against me. I simply said that making the claim that all people who harass you are people who hide behind their monitors and have no lives without any other satisfaction, is a gross generalization that Hel shouldn't make. And now you're explaining to me... what exactly? The psychology behind certain behavior?

Uhm... Nobody got an actual report, I'm fairly sure, and I feel like you also know this. This sounds a bit like an implicit way of saying you think you did nothing wrong. But maybe I am reading between the lines a bit too much

12. YayaBunWa

YayaBunWa Tentacle Wrangler

I mean, aren't you supposing that a troll is a troll by choice and not by nature? I think it's the other way around in nearly all cases; it's like people who commit domestic violence statistically believe they're behaving normally because of the positive feedback they get from people about fragmented aspects of their behaviour(s). It's really easy to find something or someone who agrees with you if/when you really want it.

My point is/will be a bit more complicated than this, but I was also hoping to shed some light for people who don't know much about this scene. Consider it more of a fun investigation.

...N, No, I think you've got the wrong idea. I'm not necessarily addressing you at all, I'm just building on what you said. Uh, sure, that is a gross generalisation, but I'm obviously not talking about that, am I?

I'll respond to this the way you think I'd respond to this (cold and emotionlessly): No, I didn't mean that, I meant I wanted closure, and to determine whether I'm crazy and never made a 2nd post after my "popular" first one, or whether it was deleted, or whether the server made it disappear, or my internet, etc.
    Pretty sure I'm senile, but there you have it (why). Thanks for your continued love and support.

xD

13. Some reports (out of the very many) coming out of this thread are ridiculous, and frankly -- a waste of moderation's time that borders on Abuse of the Report System.

It grieves me to say that I've determined, despite whatever is posted, that a few participants (or readers) of this thread just aren't mature enough to handle the idea that sometimes opinions are just opinions. And with something as complicated and multifaceted as swearing and how it is accepted or perceived socially or digitally -- no one is really in the wrong, but it doesn't make anyone else right.

Reporting someone because they don't agree with you, or don't see things the same as you is NOT what the report system is for.

Because of this, the discussion is over and I am closing the thread.

I will be messaging users privately about their behaviors about this thread, reporting, or in some instances; both.

That said; Thank you, to those of you who did report particular posts while maintaining an objective view of the thread and it's developing (or not developing?) situation.

For the record, I think the actual discussion was fine -- but the reports paint a very different mentality.

Serenity likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.