1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

The Problems with Novakids. (for me)

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by TheWorstPersonEver, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

All I'm seeing right now are complaints about Chucklefish's inability to develop everything at once.

Anyway, something relevant to the development of the Novakid:

jakecool19 likes this.
  2. We are indeed implementing Novakid item descriptions at last. :) It's a big job, so it's taking a bit. Here are some Novakid facts!

The Novakid are a race of sentient and vaguely human-shaped concentrations of gas. While thought to be quite intelligent in general, they have notoriously short memory and attention spans and live very much in the moment. It is in their nature to prefer chaotic and adventurous lives - the idea that they should 'settle down' and form an organized community or take the time to record their history simply has not occurred to them, and likely wouldn't appeal to them if it did.

Among other races, the Novakid have a dubious reputation. Having a completely different composition to other lifeforms, they are sometimes unable to grasp the nuances of inter-species social interactions. With no known origin point, no recorded history, and a tendency not to stay in one place for too long, nobody is quite sure what to make of the Novakid just yet.

I hope that clears up some of the reasons they are the way they are!

Zetlin97, jakecool19, Jonesy and 2 others like this.
  3. Streema

Streema Phantasmal Quasar

First of all, i play as a Novakid and when i run into other species, i usually like to interact with them. Most of them have apparently never seen a Novakid, meaning they are very rare or, as the official thread states it: They are constantly on the move, mining asteroids and stuff. Meaning if they dont have a homeworld and are just wandering around, it wouldnt be that easy to find them. Every Race i encountered seems to barely even know of the existence of the Novakids.

Also, it is said, that Novakids dont forget things that easily. They just dont like to work on things too much, because they also like doing other things.

Besides that, the Novakid is still fresh implemented and its not a top priority to give them story and stuff, because now there are other things to do, like balancing the whole game to make the whole game more enjoyable and stuff like that. I personally still like the Novakid and if you think they just added it without any information about the whole race, here you go http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/meet-the-novakid.16712/

(btw sorry for my bad english, it's not my mother tongue)

4. TheWorstPersonEver

TheWorstPersonEver Cosmic Narwhal

A dev got involved.

My thread is THAT popular so far..

5. Mackinz

Judging by the time-stamps, I actually think it has more to do with me quoting Mollygos from a Dev Blog thread than this thread being popular.

jakecool19 likes this.
  6. TheWorstPersonEver

oh, right. sorry.

Still, it is popular though.

7. gameboytj

gameboytj Ketchup Robot

Does this apply to all of them or just the npc types? I hope I didn't sound rude :( I am just wondering if it applies to every one of them in existence or probably just a majority.

8. pop-yotheweird

pop-yotheweird Ketchup Robot

I'm pretty sure it's a majority-based thing. it wouldn't surprise me if some Novakid did remember to write down how they built their latest gun/ship in a western-themed town they founded. we're in SPEHSS, anything is possible.

gameboytj likes this.
  9. Shaadaris

Shaadaris Giant Laser Beams

Stole my post and is advertising what is likely a scam or something.
    Can everyone please take a moment to report this guy before we get back to missing the point and arguing about stupid things?

10. TheWorstPersonEver

yikes. Although I slightly regret making this thread,(no really, I do) atleast nobody spammed until that post. Anyways, going to report him now.

11. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

Im rather sure its just a generalisation and as such its deeply flawed when someone tries too apply it to a single individual. You can a make a novakid that behaves however you like, at worst other Novakids might find him/her a tad excentric/exotic.

gameboytj likes this.
  12. gameboytj

gameboytj Ketchup Robot

Yeah, player novakids have a much longer attention span compared to their npc counterparts.

13. TheWorstPersonEver

hello? *knocks on imaginary door*

WAKE UP ALREADY THREAD

14. Nibolas O Anelbozas

Nibolas O Anelbozas Spaceman Spiff

I'd like to mention that avians only have a blinking emote too, But man do you want the brand to bend and turn into a smiley? this is something that novakid players will have to accept, no facial expressions.
    Okay guns, making they look more unique would be a trick
    And yes, they need more personality, right now Novakids are just there so people would stop asking chucklefish to include them, maybe they'll work more on them later

15. TheWorstPersonEver

I remember saying this:
    and no, i don't expect it too. (but it could happen. I mean, we literally have living plant people things. so it wouldn't be odd.)

Nibolas O Anelbozas likes this.
  16. Nibolas O Anelbozas

Oh my bad then, sorry. but you heard Auntie Molly over there, i'm actually annoyed that the avians still don't have emotes

17. Mackinz

The Expressive Everyone mod works fantastically in that regard. You can edit the mods file structure to only apply to Avians, and even modify the emotes manually to something more appealing.

18. Nibolas O Anelbozas

i'm not too fond of mods, but anyway the avians are one of the main races of the game, it was there since the beginning and yet they don't have it? that's kinda of disapointing

19. Mackinz

It's because Chucklefish has made changes to the character creation/rendering mechanics a very low priorty, and Avians have choose-able beaks that are technically considered facial hair and render above emotes.png (which controls emoticons per race). That's a lot of face blocked from being used in an emoticon. The only conceivable changes Chucklefish could make without tackling the entire character creation/rendering coding would be a super-strong eyebrow game.

Expressive Everyone gives a temporary solution to the issue.

20. TheWorstPersonEver

Sorry to be rude, but can you stop droning on how great you think it is, and why other people should download it?
    He already said he wasn't fond of mods, so can you stop telling him about it? Thank you.