1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

The Problems with Novakids. (for me)

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by TheWorstPersonEver, Nov 14, 2015.

1. TheWorstPersonEver

TheWorstPersonEver Cosmic Narwhal

Ok, so some of my problems with the Novakid's are these:

1. They are just re-textured humans. Don't believe me? Get the Novaskin mod. If it fails, you see my point. If the mod fails, you can see the skin of a human.*

2. No emotes! Yes, no vanilla emotes. Fucking disappointing, Chucklefish. We were all hyped to see them, and we get no emotes. We have to rely on mods to give the Novakid's emotes. Fucking disappointing. I bet some Novakid is like:
    "I'm gonna use a emote now! upload_2015-11-14_2-45-52.jpeg "

3. The WEAPONS. Sure, guns. Cool, cool. WE CAN FUCKING GET GUNS FROM DROPS AND CHESTS, CHUCKLEFISH. :fireball:

The fact they are the most boring race. The lore is boring, the fact they cannot remember anything, it makes them BORING.
    It is acceptable with the Nebulites, (they are a modded race, not a vanilla one.) because they are a ancient race. They can fucking forget after maybe 1000000000000 fucking years, maybe.

The respawn animation is recylced. Alot of us were expecting something new, Chucklefish.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Therefore, the Novakid are a bad race, due to being rushed, in my opinion.

((*Oops, I recently discovered the Novaskin mod has a skin colored part. Not sure why, but sorry for not telling you sooner.))

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  2. Faeryheart

Faeryheart Weight of the Sky

3. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

4. Faeryheart

Faeryheart Weight of the Sky

Sorry, didn't knew I have to do that, just wanted to help

5. TheFudgement

TheFudgement Ketchup Robot

1. This is a problem with a mod, not the vanilla game. They're not just retextured humans, that would make them use the same ships, comments and gear.

2. No emotes because they don't have a face. The brand on their face is made out of metal.

3. The only thing I agree with you. All the races should get guns, or none.

4. Well, that's just like, your opinion, man. The cowboy theme suits them just fine. They do not forget things, they just don't keep notes or write down anything so the new generations need to invite everything again. This part of the lore explains why they are cowboys in the first place.

5. The respawn animation is a placeholder. The game is still in beta, and will be for some time. I'm 100% sure they will have their own.

Also, you said "Fucking" like seven times during your post. It might sound badass or tough to you, but it just makes the post look unprofessional and childish.

Nazja and jakecool19 like this.
  6. TheWorstPersonEver

"1. This is a problem with a mod, not the vanilla game. They're not just retextured humans, that would make them use the same ships, comments and gear." They edited the coding.
    I find that very obvious. They could have changed all the stuff except the race. So, they changed: SAIL, the ship, the armours, and weapons. Plus, the devs obviously didn't give a shit about them. I feel like they are less cared about by Chucklefish than Hylotl.

"2. No emotes because they don't have a face. The brand on their face is made out of metal." Congrats, you pointed out a obvious thing!

"3. The only thing I agree with you. All the races should get guns, or none." All the races except Glitch and Hylotl have guns. Even the Florans.

"4. Well, that's just like, your opinion, man. The cowboy theme suits them just fine. They do not forget things, they just don't keep notes or write down anything so the new generations need to invite everything again. This part of the lore explains why they are cowboys in the first place." I'm not even gonna bother with that one.

"5. The respawn animation is a placeholder. The game is still in beta, and will be for some time. I'm 100% sure they will have their own." Why do I have to see that shitty excuse again..?
    Let me explain. Some people have problems with the game, and what do some other people DO? DROP THE "IT'S STILL IN BETA BOMB" on them.

"Also, you said "Fucking" like seven times during your post. It might sound badass or tough to you, but it just makes the post look unprofessional and childish." ... I didn't INTEND to make it childish, nor do I think it is badass.

7. TheFudgement

I'm pretty sure the devs do care about the race, it's just not their priority at the moment. If the fact that Novakids have no face is obvious to you, you shouldn't complain about the lack of emotes.

I haven't played the game for a few months, but last time I checked only the Novakids had guns made out of iron, steel and so on. I know about the later tier guns. If they changed this and added low-tier guns for others too, it'd be only fair to give Novakids some melee weapons too. So I agree with that.

I don't use the "Beta-card" that often, but I'm still sure they will get their own respawn animations later on. There are much bigger problems with the game at the moment than the missing animation. The game being in beta is not an excuse. Commenting this work in progress is okay, but talking about it in an aggressive manner is not. In my opinion, at least.

Personally I like the Novakids, and despite a few missing elements they're just as playable as any other race. And their lore is still good, not too serious and it explains their culture and the way of life.

Nazja and jakecool19 like this.
  8. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

Alright, I might as well address some things here too.
    The same can be said with the other races, but I will agree that the similarities stand out the most with the Novakid.
    What exactly would you suggest be done for this, though? I mean, they're literally just humanoid bags of gas with a brand on their face. While I can't really think of anything to add, maybe you could?

...what emotes would a Novakid make?

I won't deny that the lack of melee weapons for the Novakid can be a problem. It really just depends on your playstyle.

You may want to note that the majority of the game's lore (especially race specific lore) is going to be readdressed in the Lore Update.

I'll have to go with the "It's in Beta" reasoning, as it's still valid, but I will agree that it should be replaced with a new one in the future. Hopefully the Misc. Update will address that.

Also, excuse me if I'm getting the tone of your posts completely wrong, but posting with a bad and aggressive additude is not a really good thing to do if you want people to consider your points.

Nazja and TheFudgement like this.
  9. TheWorstPersonEver

Just to clarify, I by a re-textured human, I mean, look at them.

Just looking at them, here is some stuff that proves they are.

* The hair-styles. They are lazily recycled.

* Their body. The body is recycled too! All they did was remove the damn underpants.

10. TheWorstPersonEver

Maybe those anime emote things. What I mean for example, in some anime, when a character is angry, this symbol may appear near their eyes: upload_2015-11-14_17-58-38.png

Owl_Stalker and TheFudgement like this.
  11. Valkyrie_pl

Valkyrie_pl Big Damn Hero

I feel bad having to break this to you, but - technically speaking - all the races are the same. That's why all the clothes and armours fit all races. Some may have slightly different "nude" sprites, but it's not like you will be seeing those all that often.

Also, this is a 2D game, so "re-textured" isn't really a thing. Re-coloured? Maybe. I haven't had a close look at Novakids, so I can't say if hairstyles are similar or same to human ones. Even if, there is only so many hairstyles you can come up with, when your sprites are so small. I mean, how many pixels do we get per head? Probably not much.

Dunno if anime emoticons would fit, but it's definitely some sort of ides.

Novakid may "resemble" humans in some way, but they still got their own ship, looks, unique armours, guns, and (afaik) comments, so - by standards of this game - they are their own race.

Whatever missing features or placeholders will surely bi fixed before the release.

Nazja and Owl_Stalker like this.
  12. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

1 Well, that is due to a mod.
    2 It isn't like giving them emotes would make much sense. They don't seem to actually have mouths.
    3 The same could be said of melee weapons. In fact, if anything, that is one of their few traits that make them unique, as the rest get almost exactly the same weapons except for reskins when racial weapon types would be a lot more interesting.
    4 The fact that one of them asked an Avian priest if the latter thought that his god was real is actually rather silly. And they don't have bad memories, but VERY short attention spans (Basically ADHD on a species-wide scale).
    5 It is most likely a placeholder.

Nazja likes this.
  13. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Actually, every vanilla race is a retextured Human. Especially every other race because at least the Novakid do not have a belly button, unlike Florans, Avians and the Hylotl which all have a belly-button.

Yes, and making a respawn animation from scratch is actually very labor intensive so I am actually fine with the recycling of an older one until they focus on polishing the game up for final release.

P.S. There is a "Reply" button you can use to create quotes like I did just now. Please use it. :)

They have a face. They just don't have a mouth or eyes, and there are definitely ways to get emotions across even without those two features. The mods Novaskin and Expressive Everyone are examples of such.

Um... Novakid do not have hair styles like Humans. Novakids have brands, which occupy the same rendering layer but do not resemble hair at all.

Nazja likes this.
  14. TheWorstPersonEver

Yes they do. Just look at one. They have hair and brands.

And also, it could work for the anime emotes. (talking to Valkyrie)

15. Hel

Hel ✨ Johto's Finest ✨ Forum Moderator

Here's me going to get a bad reply for this. But it did cross my mind reading this

The Novakid race is based upon the Wild west theme. If the third point is based on the lack of Novakid melee weapons then I can understand why this might be an issue. Maybe adding a few wild west type melee weapons would be good, although many people in those days owned a gun of some kind. So maybe that's why there's not many melee weapons for that race?

16. TheWorstPersonEver

Yeah, you may be right. Maybe they could have done a lasso weapon, since they some-how are shown to be owned by cowboys in around, maybe 2009 - 2015.

17. TheFudgement

When the Novakids were added to the game I remember making a small list of sorts of some melee weapons that would fit.

- Hatchet

- Sledgehammer (Humans already got this, but people used these when building railroads)

- Bowie Knife

- Machete (I'm not sure about this, but heck, they need SOMETHING)

- Pickaxe

- Whip

- Saber (Those used by cavalry troops)

And if Chucklefish runs out of ideas, they could always make some "Steampunkish" weapons.

Also, when I said that Novakids don't have a face I meant that they don't have eyes or mouths. I wouldn't mind the anime emotes. It's useless to mention those mods, because I haven't used any in a while.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
    Nazja likes this.
  18. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

Why would being able to find ranged weapons in containers negate the novakids crafted ranged weaponry? You can find melee weapons in containers too (more often infact) but that dosen't negate all the weaponry of the other races does it?

19. gameboytj

gameboytj Ketchup Robot

Maybe give the novakids speech bubbles when they do emotes? and yeah like some people said give them anime style emotes. maybe do both?

20. Shaadaris

Shaadaris Giant Laser Beams

I'm going to reiterate what everyone else has already said:

1. All of the races use the same base sprites. The Novakid are underdeveloped in sprites and animation currently because the devs are focusing on main features. The Novakid weren't even supposed to have been added yet, if I recall correctly. The devs rushed out the current version because people wanted the Novakids, so they gave them something playable.

2. They don't have faces. It could also be attributed to the above; the devs didn't want to spend a lot of time on them yet, and as such haven't gotten around to adding emotes. Perhaps they never intended emotes. Who knows? Either way, there are clientside mods to fix that in the mean time.

3. WE CAN [redacted] GET SWORDS AND SPEARS AND LITERALLY EVERYTHING ELSE FROM THE SAME DROPS AND CHESTS, DIACEBAKER. You're arguing against something that actually makes them the most unique of the races so far; their weapons aren't just reskins of other races' weapons.

4. They don't really have Lore yet. I'm pretty sure that information you gave was half-retconned alongside some of the other lore, and I'm sure that as the game gets closer to release they will be given lore on par with the other races. The Beta argument is completely valid, since, as the game is in development and the Beta tag literally means it's still being created and tested, there is content that is not ingame yet. Just because they don't now doesn't mean they never will.

5. You can tell from the animation that it's a placeholder, since it doesn't work with their anatomy. The respawn animations are some of the most involved animations in the game to make, and since the Novakid are side content that were never stated to be as finished as the other races yet, they in fact aren't as finished as the other races yet. Keyword: yet.

Basically, all my points can pretty much be summed up as: stop expecting the unfinished content they added early to please people to be as good as the finished content they spent much longer working on so far.
    There are priorities. Finishing the Novakid is not a priority; the actual main game mechanics are. They will probably be updated during the "combat update", "story update", and "game polishing" phase before release.

Nazja likes this.