1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

The Power Of Pictures - Thoughts About The Contest

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Red Space Monkey, Mar 12, 2012.

?

Do you read an entry that only consists of pure text?

1. I take my time to do so.

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. No, it's rather boring.

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  3. If it's well-structured.

12 vote(s)
    54.5%
  4. Just sometimes.

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red Space Monkey

Red Space Monkey Phantasmal Quasar

The variety of the entries for the contest that is running at the moment is immense. There are some more basic proposals like androids and dragons, some more unorthodox like a penguin tank and something inbetween like flying rays. But the one thing that distinguishes them on the first sight, is the overall presentation. Are there pictures, and if yes, how professional do they look. Are they drawn with a pen on simple paper or with a graphic tablet and expensive drawing software?

Do you think that entries, that could be really creative, original and deep are overlooked when they're not supported by big, shiny imagery? Or do you take your time to read all the ideas the entry has to offer even without some eye candy? I for myself have an entry that has a certain focus on the way it's presented, but that's because I have fun in designing such things and I like to bring my ideas into something visual so everybody can understand it.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to shout at the people that ONLY rely on their graphical skills, I just want to discuss with you how this has an impact on the contest.

JohnDevince, Hostail and Aviator like this.
  2. Dal

Dal Phantasmal Quasar

pictures does draw the attention of alot of people for sure but pictures alone won't do the trick (imo). the thought behind the idea becomes much clearer with a visual aide especially if it's a complicated one.

that's my thoughts atleast ;)

Aviator likes this.
  3. Aviator

Aviator Subatomic Cosmonaut

I think the quality of the picture shouldn't matter it should be on the idea not the artists ability

4. TheDeviant

TheDeviant Sandwich Man

Going to be honest, the people who judge based just on the image are also the people who don't have really meaningful feedback. After all, the picture is good at getting across the concept, but when it comes down to it, the picture is not going to be the same in-game. The idea is really what matters.

Skyblade799 and Aviator like this.
  5. Aviator

Aviator Subatomic Cosmonaut

Yea
    P.S. Likes for every one

6. jackalope

jackalope Big Damn Hero

I do agree with people being turned of by the lack of a large, flashy image. For example, my submission has a huge amount of info, but a small image. It seems like my submission gets less feedback than yours(RedSpaceMonkey), because I don't have a super flashy presentation like your awesome one.

7. Red Space Monkey

Yepp, I noticed that too, that's why I made this topic. =) I really hope the devs take their time to read the entries carefully. Some of them can be declared rather unoriginal at first glance ("Hello, I made a duck that can swim and make loud noises. Lulz!!!"), but some are really deep and creative if the time is taken to read them.

8. LemonRobot

LemonRobot Phantasmal Quasar

If you're just worrying about the devs, I think they're smart enough to actually read the post. I doubt any dev will ever just look at the pictures and go "Hey, that's a cool dragon, (s)he wins!"

9. Red Space Monkey

It's not a question of being smart, it's sometimes just a question of motivation. They're just human like everyone else of us, and I honestly think they won't read all of the entries word by word, and I can't even blame them for it if they would do so.

10. Ghostar

Ghostar Steakeater

I love the art myself. I get goosebumps looking at all the amazing things everyones done. Good art is always appreciated! That being said I don't think the level of art should have anything to do with who wins. I think all things in life should be earned. If you put alot into your work, you should get alot out. The person with the most creative, well thought out design (and by design I mean art, behavior, and such) should win. After all "Beauty is only Skin deep."

11. jackalope

jackalope Big Damn Hero

Bumping this now that the contest is over.
    I'm definitely disappointed that I didn't get ONE page of posts on my submission. But hey, whatever right?

The Virorbs put my idea to shame though. I actually hope that they win more than mine now. :)

12. JohnDevince

JohnDevince Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Interesting! Yeah, but this should apply for everything now, because we still have a suggestion mega thread!
    ~ John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.