1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

The (planned) journey to 1.0 (Quotes from the dev Tiy)

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Garatgh Deloi, Jun 24, 2015.

1. DarthTrethon

DarthTrethon Spaceman Spiff

Yeah, I'm in the mindset that the inventory system is in desperate need of major expansion before making food unstackable.......at the absolute bare minimum we need double the inventory space we have now and that would be bare bones too.....three times the space we have now would be appropriate.

2. Slippery Slime

Slippery Slime Big Damn Hero

Will each of those updates be a new version, meaning a needing to start a new character? Not again!

3. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

The whole point of making food unstackable is so that you cant carry that much. Why would you ever need three times the current player storage space?

I mean, you should easily manage to bring anything you need in one bag and have the other free for loot. As long as you dump loot every now and then i cant see how the current storage is to small.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  4. Slippery Slime

Slippery Slime Big Damn Hero

I can't tell you how many chests I have in my ship....

5. engiSonic

engiSonic Scruffy Nerf-Herder

food will rot over time

[​IMG]

Rogue_Warrior and SleepySquidd like this.
  6. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

A lot of this discussion also seems to ignore something that's also going to have to change to be viable... hunger itself. Everyone's talking about the countermeasures, but not the actual problem those countermeasures are countering. Because hunger as a mechanic was deeply flawed at the core.

You could go from fully-sated to keel-over-dead in... about two days of game time. That strike anyone else as absolutely ridiculous? I know games need to run on an accelerated timeframe, but come the hell on. It takes WEEKS to a MONTH or two for the average human to die of starvation. Ghandi survived 21 days with zero food and just a few sips of water a day (dehydration will kill you sooner than hunger, roughly one to two weeks) during one of his many hunger strikes.

Upping the amount of time it takes for starvation to claim you is vital. That alone will take care of the inventory issue, not to mention the "hunger value" of each food. I'd think a full-plate meal of meat and potatoes would keep you sated for a considerably longer time than a salad. It'll make you prioritzie food prep as you make better meals so you don't HAVE to carry as much or eat as often.

(Maybe one of the items you can find would be a loaf of Dwarf Bread. It never goes bad, trying to eat it actually does damage, but simply having it in your inventory gives you an extra 10~20% time on the hunger meter because man, you'll do anything rather than try and eat Dwarf Bread. Also? Handy short-range bludgeon.)

Aside from the timing, hunger itself needs the be significantly changed from just the "Welp, time to die. Aa. Thud." egg-timer it was in EK.

You need to start having tangible effects as you get low. You need to slow down (like the oily/slimy debuff), have your melee attacks and bows do less damage... giving guns a bit more advantage there, but that can be mitigated by making your aim wobbly and slowing your trigger-pull reaction time. You start experiencing more knockback from attacks, or take incrementally more damage (not a lot since armor still eats most of that, but still, every little bit hurts). Maybe the screen starts going fuzzy at the edges as you slip into deep hunger. Maybe in-hand items start having a small chance of randomly falling out of your hands.

Otherwise, all this arglebargle boils down to putting back a system that's just an exercise in the Pavlovian response. Hear chime, perform rudimentary task, food. My dog can manage that.

ALSO

The "rot" issue I hope also only applies to upper-level difficulties, both crops and in-hand. Because us builders have a whole lot to work on already without keeping a complex timetable of What Rots After How Long.

7. DragonsForce

DragonsForce Weight of the Sky

Have you ever played minecraft without mods? So little inventory....

8. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Hey, people wanted survival elements... but I guess not any survival elements that might actually make the game marginally more difficult.

Mackinz likes this.
  9. Sick Sad World

Sick Sad World Subatomic Cosmonaut

Nice! This should definitely appease those that miss the more survival-y aspect of Starbound.

10. GenoMech

GenoMech Cosmic Narwhal

Alright, after looking over everyones statements....I just have some thoughts, none of which i say should or ask to be in.

• Hunger meter time needs to be extended, i feel that the issue with it was that its too short, my character is hungry again after a 5 min
      • Then again, there is water, but then the idea of a thirst meter too, would probably be ludicrous
      • Perhaps extend the time to an average 3 days without food
      • Introduce a system of fatigue if not fed
    • Stackable and nonstackable food stuffs
      • Perhaps introduce nuts and berries, doesn't require preparation and can be carried in bulk
      • Perhaps use dried foods like those nuts and berries, but also like dried bananas or grapes, and maybe even jerky for meat, the idea is a small enough food to carry in larger quantity and lasts a bit longer, but it offers less hunger regeneration and no buffs
      • Prepared meals do offer buffs, but they also require a procedure to make, the rot a bit faster, and must be eaten fresh to acquire the buff,
    • A way of perserving food
      • As mentioned, a way to turn meats into jerky, less benefits, but they last longer
      • Frozen meats, being able to freeze in an fridge or an icebox, stops the rotting process till removed from the freezer
      • Perhaps turns fruits and such into perservatives (which is already in the game) allowing them to last longer, and fetch a bigger price.

For those whose say TLDR
    • Berry and Nuts out in the field, last longer to eat
    • Turn meats into jerky, last longer to eat
    • refridgerate foods to make them last longer or freeze them to stop the rot
    • turn foods into perservatives to save space, make them last longer, and enhance selling price.

Peppersnap, Mackerel II and Tamorr like this.
  11. Sick Sad World

Sick Sad World Subatomic Cosmonaut

• Perhaps introduce nuts and berries, doesn't require preparation and can be carried in bulk
    Or, perhaps make smaller fruits/foods that are already ingame, like grapes and rice, stackable.

12. Gogmagog

Gogmagog Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Fun fact, no one is looking on the time frame of this "roadmap" !

I won`t bet one penny, that Starbound is released 2015.

Why?
    Colony Update (currently on nightly) let be generous in 1 month released
    Then there will be 3 Updates and additional polish.
    2015 has only left 6 month. The shortest update took 3 month.

Easy math. Sorry to carry bad news. Hope is the last to die.

13. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

While baseless speculation is the first to be born.

jessiebean likes this.
  14. Narks

Narks Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I wonder if Chucklefish have figured out how to make the /w command work with players who have spaces in their names...

15. HyperSpace Princess Elly

HyperSpace Princess Elly Phantasmal Quasar

It is written in the book of koridai that race choice should have minimal impact how you play the game. I disagree with this, but that is the facts. Hopefully they'll ease a little on it when it comes to food without making "Oh yeah these are the glitch version of macaronis. Which is just like macaronis. But they make other races sick but give the same buff." stuff.

On the topic of meat. Meat is not as plentiful as crops. And while it is relatively easy to stack up on meat in a session, it will now spoil. So consider that. Unprepared meat that is not properly stored will probably expire faster.

Hopefully the sciency future of starbound lets us see how long a piece of food will last until it expires.

The food problem can be solved and balanced. And in the future I hope farming will provide more than just food, but fuel and material aswell.

Darklight likes this.
  16. The MechE

The MechE Existential Complex

What do you guys want to see in the hunger system?

Do you want it to be something you worry about even at the end state, or do you want it to only be an early-mid game thing?

Rogue_Warrior likes this.
  17. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

It should be a factor even end game. People need to eat no matter how well off they are in the world.

18. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

But it has to feel natural, not tedious, even at end game, so there should be some kind of effect on progression. Maybe universal food delivery and an auto-feeding item.

The MechE and Jonesy like this.
  19. HyperSpace Princess Elly

HyperSpace Princess Elly Phantasmal Quasar

If there's an endgame equip that lets you bypass hunger, it should only be allowed to look like this:

[​IMG]

But real talk, buffs from food aren't tied to how long a foodstuff feeds you. Also they could tie hunger to the amount of actions you take. If you're very active, your hunger goes down faster.

If you just stand in place you can starve for ages. Anyway that's how it works in real life.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
    SleepySquidd and Mackinz like this.
  20. Dartax

Dartax Title Not Found

Let's see end game have something like an intravenous syringe that staves off hunger for 30 mins real time or something. Rare but saves a lot off effort. Just an opinion. I dunno if I like worrying about starvation well after fixing your megaship and colonizing several planets.

Ruler of all you survey, die because you coudn't get to a tomato fast enough. >.>