1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Penguin Piracy (SUSPENDED DEVELOPMENT) V11.2.1

Pirates! Plunderers! Penguins! This mod adds penguin affiliated content, and much more!

1. ManicRykker

ManicRykker Phantasmal Quasar

ManicRykker updated The Penguin Race Mod with a new update entry:

V2.2 - The Hammerhead Shark Update

Read the rest of this update entry...

2. ManicRykker

V2.3 - The Sailfish Update

3. ManicRykker

UPDATE:

I have just now noticed a pretty bad bug:

If you break any of the blocks in your ship (Ship details, ship wall, etc), they will turn into perfectly generic items.

I am currently working on a fix for this issue. In the meantime, DON'T break the penguin ship blocks in your ship. You will NOT get them back.

UPDATE: The mod's next update will probably not be pushed for awhile. I am working on a few things at the moment, and doing some brainstorming. It should be out soon though!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  4. ManicRykker

PenguinRaceMod V2.4 - The Clownfish Update

5. ManicRykker

Hey guys.

So uh... I'm probably going to be taking a break from modding for awhile. I would like to give the Penguin race mod a more "in depth" inspection. For the next few weeks, I will probably be playing through the game as a penguin, and making sure there aren't any weird bugs with the race.

In the meantime, I would like your help with something:

While you are playing through the game as a penguin, I would like you inspect my mod's progression.. Particularly the recipes for various services and things the mod offers. I want to make sure everything is as balanced as I can possibly get it. When examining a piece of content:

1. Is it too easy to craft, or too hard to craft? (Ex. Should I add more items to a craftable's recipe, or remove some? Try to think about what the item does before making a suggestion)
    2. Roughly, at what point in progression can you start crafting this item? Do you feel it is too early, or to late in the game?

In general, I would just like more eyes inspecting some things for me.

Well, see you guys later.

6. oinkgamer

oinkgamer Cosmic Narwhal

First off, thank you ManicRykker for making this mod. One thing that may or may not have been intentional, is when using the spikeball head tech, you can sometimes slip off of surfaces. I think this might have something to do with the increased speed.

ManicRykker likes this.
  7. ManicRykker

You're welcome! I've always wanted to see the little guys get some love! (I of course never realized it would be from me though.. :rofl:)

Hm.. That is rather peculiar. When I reach that point I'll mess around with it. I'll try to see what's causing the issue.. I can think of a few culprits.

EDIT:

It seems it was the bounce factor causing it. I tweaked a copy of the spikeball tech file to set the factor to 0 while you're in the form. I'll push a fix for it tomorrow.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  8. oinkgamer

oinkgamer Cosmic Narwhal

Oh! Also, not really a bug or anything, but i thought it would be pretty cute if the sprint walksprite could be the bellysliding sprite: [​IMG]

ManicRykker likes this.
  9. ManicRykker

Hm.. Possibly! I'll have to try that. See if it looks good, and doesn't cause any... "issues". Like with weapon placement or something. Lol

10. ManicRykker

PRM Bugfix Update 1

11. Everglass

Everglass Void-Bound Voyager

Really cool mod, wanted to play as a penguin and instantly found what I was looking for.

Even enjoying their unique physics. Playing with Frackin' Races so them having their own personal qualities and feel is really charming.

Did come across an issue though that they can fit into 2 tile high places but will suffocate if it isn't 3 tile high.

ManicRykker likes this.
  12. ManicRykker

Hi! I'm glad you're enjoying the mod!

I know about the suffocation thing. There isn't really much I can do about it unfortunately, as it seems the offset for the mouth (which is supposed to affect the position where suffocation can occur as far as I know), doesn't seem to work...

It at least isn't a game breaking bug. You have plenty of time to create an air pocket, and the issue is eliminated altogether once you have an EPP.

Edit: Thanks for mentioning it though! I was meaning to add it to the bug list, but forgot about it.. Lol

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  13. oinkgamer

oinkgamer Cosmic Narwhal

Its actually something addressed in one of the penguin codexes, so i like to think of this one as "probably canon"

Everglass and ManicRykker like this.
  14. lordbok

lordbok Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Just wondering about the armor thing, would it be possible to give them the army looking stuff from that Dreadwing mission? even without stats as a cosmetic option, or even allow to choose that sprite at character creation?

Also wondering if you could use the tanks as a unique vehicle for them also found in the Dreadwing mission?

There is a mod creator that already has the tanks as a playable vehicle, all he would need to do is make them smaller, however the Dreadwing ones would be cool with the lil penguin dude hanging out the top =P

ManicRykker likes this.
  15. oinkgamer

oinkgamer Cosmic Narwhal

Though that would be pretty rad, the mod author has stated that cosmetics will be disabled for now because of the way the game handles them. Most clothes dont look right on penguins, and there doesnt seem to be any good way to fix it as of now.

But yeah, ive always wanted to ride in one of those penguin tanks, or even the penguin ufos.

ManicRykker likes this.
  16. ManicRykker

Hey guys. Time for a little status update.

For those wondering, I haven't been doing much work in terms of updates. Still in the process of a penguin playthrough. I do have an important question though:

How have you been managing with the 50 base health? Have you come across anything particularly tedious?

If it proves too much, I might bump it up a little.

That aside my playthrough has been enjoyable, which I guess is a good sign. :rofl:.. Well, let me know if you run into any troubles on your ends. Several pairs of eyes is better than one pair after all.

17. oinkgamer

oinkgamer Cosmic Narwhal

Honestly, I havent really been hurting too much health-wise as a penguin given that i have a hitbox half as big as im used to. Its much easier to dodge enemy fire, and i think that itself is well worth the tradeoff of having reduced health.

ManicRykker likes this.
  18. lordbok

lordbok Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yea with the cosmetic thing, maybe have two sprites via the male and female selection, one with the combat armor and one without, just a thought. I was just thinking because the sprite already exsist as assets in the game (also for the tank ;D)

also for the UFO, have you seen the mechaspidertron-thing mod? its basically the little UFO with massive legs so that without legs would be neat.

In regards to having a small base health, I haven't had to much issues, as said above the smaller hitbox makes dodging easier.

ManicRykker likes this.
  19. ManicRykker

I've tried several ways to implement cosmetics for the penguins. Some traditional, some a little orthodox.. No matter what I attempt, wearables just do not look right, at all. The race is just so dramatically different from other races. :/

As an example: A few gear pieces, particularly the helmets/hats, have a "bobbing" effect. They bob up and down as you move. That's fine for vanilla races and most modded races, but penguin sprites don't have this bobbing. (Actually they don't even have a "head" technically. Everything, save for the flippers, is in the body spritesheets.) This of course causes problems.

Then there is the back items. These also have bobbing, and tend to be too large. In general, I can stop the bobbing for the helmets, but can't fix their offset. I can't even stop the bobbing at all for the back item...

In all, I really want to do cosmetics and gear.. But there are just too many brick walls in the way right now.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback on the health guys. Good to know it's not producing any.. "unintended" obstacles. :rofl:

20. DominatorLegend

DominatorLegend Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Is this compatible with Mad Tulius Spaceship mod?

ManicRykker likes this.