1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Penguin Piracy (SUSPENDED DEVELOPMENT) V11.2.1

Pirates! Plunderers! Penguins! This mod adds penguin affiliated content, and much more!

1. ManicRykker

ManicRykker Phantasmal Quasar

Oh. That modder that made the Black Market Mod is here.

I wonder whyyy.....

(Subtlety, thy name is not Manic.)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  2. Dekadrachm

Dekadrachm Heliosphere

I'm too lazy for my line of work lol, the quality of my stuff kills me for time.

ManicRykker likes this.
  3. xaliber

xaliber Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This mod have been having some interesting updates. I like it! Do you mind though if the recent updates are collected in the main page, like the addition of scout penguins and the changes made to penguin mobs? Would be very useful to see the collection of features PPM has.

ManicRykker and Dekadrachm like this.
  4. ManicRykker

I do need to update the features lists soon...

It feels like within a few weeks it always ends up becoming outdated. :rofl:

When I'm not busy dumping stuff into the mod, I'll do just that.

EDIT: One day, I'm thinking about documenting the ids of stuff in the mod, to make spawning stuff it adds a bit easier

xaliber likes this.
  5. ManicRykker

6. ManicRykker

Ok, so I think there are some things I need to explain...

The penguin micro-races came up when I was brainstorming how I could implement unique penguin npcs into the mod.

I figured due to their nature, I could make them cosmetic (or non-cosmetic in the case of the puffin) alternatives to the vanilla penguin.

I have recently received criticism for their presence.

If I were able to make working cosmetics that serve the same purpose, I would have done it in the first place...

but it's a little more complicated than that.

I have expressed the difficulties of making cosmetics and gear for the penguins in the past, but I think I should explain exactly "what" those difficulties are...

Everyone is already aware of the issues of armor and wearables for non-humanoid races.

The Avali for example had to have armor made for their unique body type from scratch.

With the penguins, however, the problem is shifted into overdrive...

When it comes to having a non-humanoid body type, penguins are KING.

When you boil them down, they pretty much conflict with nearly every aspect of a vanilla race.

They don't have a true head. It is attached to the body. (Which means they can not, as I am currently aware of, have a portrait next to the healthbar.)

They're bodies are shorter than vanilla races. They're flippers are shorter, and often non-uniform between frames compared to the limbs of vanilla races.

The bodies of vanilla races bob as they move. Penguin bodies don't bob. They're animations are static the whole way through. As they "waddle", their bodies twist and turn...

Their swim animation is different.

Even the spritesheets themselves are smaller compared to the ones used by vanilla races...

If it weren't for the fact that penguins can use a humanoid.config file separate from the one used by the vanilla races? They couldn't even exist at all. (I think the penguins owe their potential as a playable race to the 1.0 update itself: Which introduced the penguin mercenaries, and by extension, introduced the files that made this all possible)

All of this said? It makes creating cosmetics and gear a pain in the rear. The back items have been the only thing I have been able to get working without looking terrible. As for everything else:

-Most of the other pieces seem to have bobbing by default. I haven't found a way to get rid of it. This is one of the key things that makes gear look terrible when worn by a penguin.

-Even if there wasn't bobbing, I was never able to get the pieces to fit to their bodies properly. They either ended up too high up on the sprites, or too low.

-Cosmetics would have to be created to move with their sprites as they waddled, in order to look natural.

In general? There are just too many problems. Until a day comes, when Chucklefish makes creating gear and cosmetics for non-humanoid races a little less crazy, true cosmetics for the penguin race, just aren't happening.

If I could make working wearables for the penguins? The micro-races wouldn't exist.

There would be cosmetics. They would have their own tiered armor progression.

Because of the problems though? They can't. That's just all she wrote.

I at least hope my attempt at organizing the archive file structure makes installs less complex. If needed, I will try again.

EDIT: I may have just found a work around though... I will have to do some experimentation.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  7. ManicRykker

Ok. Time for a little status update:

Next update, there will be some heavy changes involving the mod, and the micro-races...

Last night, I found a potential workaround for penguin cosmetics in the mod. Here is what this means:

- Next update, the following micro-races are being SCRAPPED:
    Penguin Royalty, Penguin Welder, Penguin Soldier, Penguin General, Penguin Bartender, Penguin pirate, and Penguin Armsdealer.

This means they will no longer be supported in the mod in future updates.

The "wearables" these micro-races possessed have been converted into cosmetics, which will be available for penguins to obtain in the next update. By extension, the penguin npcs are also getting reworked to reflect this change.

That said, I am not completely scrapping the micro-race format. The split between playable penguins and the primary mod ensures the Penguin Piracy Mod can function as a stand-alone mod. If the micro races were merged back into the mod? A race extender would be required BY DEFAULT to access the content again.

This of course leaves the following micro-races intact (With reasons why):

Penguin - Self explanatory
    Masked Penguin - It's visual difference is a facial difference, not a cosmetic object. I thought about making the masked penguin "mask" a cosmetic... but then masked penguins wouldn't be able to wear penguin cosmetics.
    Puffin - The puffin race owes it's existence solely to the presence of the micro-races. It has properties different from the average penguinoid, and can't be a cosmetic for the same reasons as the masked penguin.
    RoboPenguin - This race cannot be a penguin cosmetic.... for very obvious reasons.... lol.

Ultimately, I hope these future changes will further make installation easier.

On another note, as for penguin armor?...

I will have to think about how I should handle that.

8. ManicRykker

ManicRykker updated The Penguin Piracy Mod with a new update entry:

PenguinPiracyMod V4 - The Killer Whale Update

Read the rest of this update entry...

9. ManicRykker

If there is anyone that can make custom ships, or knows someone who could make a custom ship, that would be willing to provide a ship for the PenguinPiracyMod, please let me know. (As usual, the person would be credited in the mod.)

(Preferably either based off of Dreadwing's UFO, or with a theme that would match the penguins. (Note the current placeholder's color))

(I recently have found an inquiry I made to someone elsewhere a few weeks back on one was ultimately disregarded or ignored, and I'm beginning to become concerned the mod will be stuck with one of the last remaining placeholder/semi placeholder assets that hasn't been replaced with something else...)

10. Dekadrachm

Dekadrachm Heliosphere

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm penguinzzzzzz

ManicRykker likes this.
  11. Dekadrachm

Dekadrachm Heliosphere

As for the ship I mean mmrrrrrrrrrrrrr, I could try something, idk. I'm not an expert on stuff like that. My old friend would be great fro this but she hasn't been on in a long time. She drew the armor assets of my mod.
    And if I do, you're coding it lel
    If I do it, the ship is prob gonna look worn down
    My friend, if I make this ship, you better make sure this is the best damn racemod alive

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  12. Dekadrachm

Dekadrachm Heliosphere

[​IMG]
    ^
    |
    |
    burn it with fire

ManicRykker likes this.
  13. ManicRykker

Status update:

The next update "is" in the works.

I should probably give a word of warning:

In the V4 update, the PenguinPiracyMod is getting a NEW SHIP!

It is custom, made by me. (I finally got my head wrapped around how the stuff works a few days ago.. :rofl:)

That said, when the update hits, our saves are pretty much down the toilet!

I am really sorry for this inconvenience, but this sort of thing is just inevitable when implementing something as major as a new ship.

(Some details:

- The ship will not have upgrades in the traditional sense. It will remain the same size, shape, and have the same rooms/layout for all tiers. (I fear it would lose it's shape/become too bulky, or turn into a maze of rooms otherwise. Some of this may tie into lore

- Yes, it is inspired by a certain something, but it is pretty much custom.)

I will give more details when the update is pushed at some point in the (hopefully) near future!

14. ManicRykker

ManicRykker updated The Penguin Piracy Mod with a new update entry:

PenguinPiracyMod V5 - The Narwhal Update

Read the rest of this update entry...

15. supaflybirdy

supaflybirdy Aquatic Astronaut

16. ManicRykker

Those would be the mercenaries.

(Just for reference, the mercenaries are enhanced in the PPM with more weapon choices, and are hired with five dubloons (rather than just one, like in vanilla Starbound). They always wear the pirate hats, and the item on their back is a PEPP (Penguin Environmental Protection Pack). For the penguin crewmembers, it serves as an alternative to uniforms, to tell what role they are. (Color coded))

Anyway, what problem are you actually having with your mercenaries? I assume you hired them from Beakeasy/through the bar table object?

17. supaflybirdy

It seems that the penguins won't attack, and they stand in place waiting to die. And yes, I hired them through the beakeasy. EDIT: They do follow me, but they just won't attack enemies

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  18. ManicRykker

Hm.. Maybe the Starbound log might say something?

Also, what weapon are they holding, if anything?

That said, I'll also take a look tomorrow, and see if it happens on my end.

19. supaflybirdy

They don't hold any weapons for me, they just sit there and walk around. I do have other mods installed, but I honestly don't think they should interfere with this mod.

20. ManicRykker

Hmm.. That's strange... That would imply they aren't holding anything at all. They should at least have a normal pistol sheathed.

I'll definitely be having a look at this tomorrow.

Also, what other mods do you have installed alongside my mod?

I am not sure how they would interact if a mod changed what crew members are holding/changes something with the penguin mercenaries...

Even if they don't, they still might help me check for compatibility.