1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Penguin Piracy (SUSPENDED DEVELOPMENT) V11.2.1

Pirates! Plunderers! Penguins! This mod adds penguin affiliated content, and much more!

1. ManicRykker

ManicRykker Phantasmal Quasar

Well that's a good question. To put it honestly, I have no clue. Rofl

I've mostly been concerned with getting the mod off the ground/at a stable position.. Mod compatibility was on the back burner. I would like for my mod to play as nicely with other mods as possible though!

I will have to test the mod you mentioned later on. Don't really have the time at the moment

(If anyone would like to help, and do compatibility tests of their own for me I would REALLY appreciate it. I am only one guy after all, and I can't check every mod on the site. Lol)

2. DominatorLegend

DominatorLegend Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm getting crashes with MadTulius', so they're probably not compatible.
    Also, after testing the race, I feel like I need to ask this: why do they hurt grunts sound so terrifying? (I got jumpscared with them LOL).

ManicRykker likes this.
  3. ManicRykker

Thanks for mentioning that. I'll add the mod to the incompatibility list until further notice (Until I get the time to look into it anyway.. Rofl)

Their hurt sounds are cuts from emperor penguin trumpeting noises.

I can understand how they might be kinda... "abrupt" at first. :rofl:

4. ManicRykker

ManicRykker updated The Penguin Race Mod with a new update entry:

PRM Micro Update 1

Read the rest of this update entry...

5. ManicRykker

Ok, just wanted to make a quick message. I have already updated the main page with this info, but I will drop it here too, so you all are aware of it:

A NOTE REGARDING THE MOD'S FUTURE

I would just like to mention, I "hope" to be able to perform updates and upkeep for this mod as long as possible.. But naturally, due to various things that can happen (Life decides to kick you in the rear, other stuff occupies your time, etc), I may not always be available to keep this alive.

Therefore, I feel it's important that I give this little message:

If, at any point in the future, I become unable to update the mod, or I drop off the face of the planet entirely (Respond to NO replies from users, either in the discussion or pm)... And it has been months since the mod has had an update/has become incompatible with the latest version of Starbound because of it..

Any modder can pick up where I left off, with the files supplied from my mediafire, and continue the mod/make it compatible with the latest Starbound in my absence.

I do NOT want to see this mod bite the dust. If I become unable to update this, or if I just vanish, any capable race modder may feel free to pick up the torch and carry on in my absence.

That is all.

6. DominatorLegend

Well, the mod is good as it is. The only thing I would change is the AI to a custom penguin one. Also, I noticed your penguin's face didn't appear on the health bar, leaving the portrait empty. Other than that it's good. Don't worry, I don't think your mod would bite za dusto.

ManicRykker likes this.
  7. ManicRykker

The current ship AI is a modified version of the old Floran AI. It matched/matches the current set up for the penguin player's "backstory" (Hijacking a ship/hacking the SAIL in the process)

I "might" change it some day if I find/think of something appropriate.. But for now, it will be the semi-permanent solution to the AI.

As for the portrait, I am aware. Nothing much I can do about that. Starbound uses the sprite for the head in the portrait (which penguins don't have. Everything is in the body and arm spritesheets.)

That said, I can't really do much to fix that unfortunately.

8. DominatorLegend

Wait, are you telling me penguins don't appear in the portrait because they're too short to reach the space? That's actually hilarious LOL

ManicRykker likes this.
  9. ManicRykker

Rofl, that's a funny way of viewing it :rofl:

But, to clarify what I was saying a little better:

Basically, the player's sprites are split into 4 sheets (not counting the hair sprites, and other misc stuff):

A head spritesheet (which hilariously only consists of like two sprites, one of which unused)
    A body spritesheet (This includes the body AND the legs)
    And two spritesheets for the front arm and the back arm.

For the portrait, the game draws the sprite for that from whatever occupies the head portion (The head sprite itself, hair, hats and helmets you're wearing, etc)

The head spritesheet for the penguins is pretty much empty/has no sprites... Thus, the game has nothing to draw from, leaving the portrait empty..

10. DominatorLegend

I understood it the first time. Imagine the penguin jumping trying to reach the portrait.

ManicRykker likes this.
  11. ManicRykker

Heh that's nothing.

You know the lunar base mission? The penguin is literally too short for the sensor connected to that entrance door at the start... You have to jump to activate it. Rofl

I made an entire codex centered around that unintentional yet hilarious gag.

12. DominatorLegend

Yea, I noticed it when doing the quest. It's like when you knock someone's door and he won't open because he couldn't see you through the eyehole :rofl:

ManicRykker likes this.
  13. DukeScrewface

DukeScrewface Phantasmal Quasar

Server throws an error immediately upon start:
    [Error] Object pengjukebox1 defined twice, second time from /objects/penguinkingcrown/pengjukebox1.object

Attached Files:

ManicRykker likes this.
  14. ManicRykker

Uh oh... Sounds like a beta item I was working on, that I scrapped, but I forgot to remove. I'll take a look

Edit: It should be fixed now. I removed the item in question, which should deal with that.

Thank you VERY much for bringing this to my attention. I was meaning to remove that item, but I guess I forgot to before I updated.. Lol

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  15. ManicRykker

16. ManicRykker

PenguinRaceMod V2.5 - The Manta Ray Update

17. ManicRykker

PenguinRaceMod V2.5.1 - The Stonefish Update

18. ManicRykker

PenguinRaceMod V2.6 - The Blue Tang Update

19. ManicRykker

Just a little note:

The reviews section isn't a very good place for bug reports.

If you have found a bug, please drop it here on the discussion thread, or start a Conversation with me and ask me about it.

Also remember to post your Starbound.log file! 90% of the time, This file will show any major errors, so it can help me troubleshoot your problem/something funky going on in the mod that I didn't notice.

UPDATE - 2/7/17

Hey guys. The next update is probably going to take awhile. I'm currently working on a more expansive feature I've been meaning to mess around with for some time (and it's one that the race was really dieing for.. to flesh them out and make them feel more like an "actual" race..).. And it needs a bit of time. To make up for it, I will probably be bumping the mod straight to V3.

The next peep from me will be the actual update push.

UPDATE - 2/10/17

Well...maybe the peep "after" this one. Lol

Just wanted to throw another quick message to say I'm still alive. Lol. The update should be ready soonish.. There is just a few more things I want to get in before V3 is pushed.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  20. ManicRykker

PenguinRaceMod V3 - The Lamprey Update