1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Penguin Piracy (SUSPENDED DEVELOPMENT) V11.2.1

Pirates! Plunderers! Penguins! This mod adds penguin affiliated content, and much more!

1. ManicRykker

ManicRykker Phantasmal Quasar

ManicRykker submitted a new mod:

The Penguin Race Mod - For those who have always wanted to be a flightless bird!

Read more about this mod...

2. kwe

kwe Void-Bound Voyager

can you try to make like the ship f dreadwing

3. ManicRykker

Oh I'm very much aware of Dreadwing's UFO! :nuruhappy:

I've been brainstorming what the ship would be since I started. I figure it could either end up being based off his ufo, or something else...

For now, the ship is on the back burner though. For the next few days I'll be waiting for feedback while I dive into some of the things on my todo list.

UPDATE:

Currently working on the mod's next update. I may have found some fixes for a few bugs I've been trying to whack since I started.. So yahoo I guess

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  4. ManicRykker

ManicRykker updated The Penguin Race Mod with a new update entry:

PenguinRaceMod V1.1B - The Tuna update

Read the rest of this update entry...

5. EndlessTetris

EndlessTetris Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm curious, how does armor work/how will armor work in the future? Will there be tier armor for penguins?

ManicRykker likes this.
  6. ManicRykker

The Long response:
    Well, armor is a very tricky subject when it comes to races that don't fit the humanoid template to a T...

Often, if the race doesn't fit existing armor sets, new ones have to be created from scratch.
    (Races like the Avali for example, has completely new armor created JUST for them, and even then there's an issue where every race can wear each other's armor soo.... Yeeah.)

Armor sprites are fairly unforgiving if the race deviates HEAVILY from the norm, like this race mod (and the playable cats mod, as another example) though..

With my mod in particular, penguin sprites sort of "waddle".. They move from side to side, contrary to most race's "bobbing" movements. Because of this, even if I did create custom tiered armor fitted to the penguins, they would still look.... "awkward".

This is why the mod has hider clothing: It's essentially an improvisation to the fact armor and cosmetics don't fit.. As the race still needs the benefits from the gear after all :rofl:.

If a day ever comes when Chucklefish reworks how armor is handled for races (allowing them to be fit to alternate animations, different body types, etc), then I would DEFINITELY look into implementing tiered armor sets for the penguins.

Tl;dr - Armor is a pain to get right for races with an... "untraditional body type"

To try to balance the fact that they may or may not have tiered armor some day, I'm always brainstorming other ways I can make the penguins stand out!
    :nuruhappy:

STATUS UPDATE:

The next update is in progress. I've already implemented a ship pet for the race. (Here's a hint: It's a revitalized version of a pet that has been in the game files for a long time now, but never implemented in-game!)

I have other plans too, so stay tuned...

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
    L. F. Oxidizer likes this.
  7. EndlessTetris

Thanks for letting us know! It's too bad that there aren't alternatives right now, but I'm sure the other things in the mod will make up for it. I'm looking forward to it!

ManicRykker likes this.
  8. ManicRykker

PenguinRaceMod V1.2B - The Mackerel update

9. ManicRykker

PenguinRaceMod V1.3B - The Salmon update

10. ManicRykker

No update for today. Will probably have some more stuff cooked up tomorrow, or within the next few days. (I'm beginning to do more experimentation with some things.. I'm hoping to begin laying the groundwork for certain features..)

I wanted to mention something real quick however:

Remember that your hitbox as a penguin is much shorter than a humanoid. To activate certain wired objects, you may have to jump in front of their sensor, if they have one. (This applies at the entrance to the mine in the Erchius Mining Facility mission.)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  11. ManicRykker

PenguinRaceMod V1.4B - The Red Snapper update

12. EndlessTetris

jump.PNG
    A short cape.
    walk.PNG
    Arguably a long cape for penguins.
    stand.PNG
    It looks fine when you jump and walk, but standing still it's too high up. (Not that I can complain much, it's amazing that it works at all.)

ManicRykker likes this.
  13. ManicRykker

Hah hah yep :rofl:

Some pieces do "kinda" fit the penguin... Which is definitely interesting, and provides some amusing looks

Anywho, I actually did try to change the offsets for armor pieces position on the penguin body a long time ago..

But the funny thing is, some offsets just DON'T seem to be functioning.. (I got the same results when attempting to alter the offset for the mouth for the position where drowning can occur..)

But oh well. I guess I should probably give you guys some insight on some stuff, as I'm unsure when I'll push the next update I'm working on:

Many of the recipes for some penguin items aren't set in stone. Many are just placeholders to "get the items craftable". I have an over all "theme" planned for the content..

(Come to think of it, much of the recipes will probably set the content somewhere around the post-dreadwing mark, progression wise.)

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  14. ManicRykker

PenguinRaceMod V1.5B - The Yellow Tang update

15. ManicRykker

NOTICE:

I will be taking a break from the mod for a week or so. Christmas is right around the corner, and it's time for some lounging! Lol

That said, I will still keep an eye on this thread. Bugs, suggestions, and the like will be noted.

Merry Christmas!

16. ManicRykker

PenguinRaceMod V1.6B - The Minnow Update

17. ManicRykker

PenguinRaceMod V1.6.1B - The Minnow Update's second cousin

18. ManicRykker

PenguinRaceMod V2 - The Ocean Sunfish Update

19. ManicRykker

UPDATE:

I have created a discord server for the mod, if anyone is interested.

Sometimes, it can take a bit of time for me to see notifications here on the forums.. So I thought it might help if there was a quicker way to reach me, and at the same time, a place for folks to talk about the mod, about Starbound, or just general stuff.

Here's the invite link: https://discord.gg/Veez2

You can also find it on the mod's main page too, near the bottom.

20. ManicRykker

PenguinRaceMod V2.1 - The Tiger Shark Update