The Magical Thread of Slimy Awesomeness

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LuthienNightwolf, Dec 18, 2016.

1. sunlite

sunlite Pangalactic Porcupine

That probably makes a lot of sense. I don't go in the mines to fight often, which I should since I never got the slime charmer ring on any save....probably a good idea to get that before anything is done.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Remember, when earning the Slime Charmer ring, it's all about quantity, not quality! Weak slimes are just as good as the dangerous deep-level sorts for boosting your monster slaying goal to earn the ring. Just keep re-visiting the upper levels to smush as many green slimes as you can find. If you find an infested level, it'll be there for that entire day, so you can keep clearing it, leaving, and coming back to get more slime kills. The infested level will move up one floor on the following day, though some floors are immune to infestation. (Full rules on how it works here: http://stardewvalleywiki.com/The_Mines#Infested_floors )

• Seismothesaurus

Seismothesaurus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Seconding the above suggestions. Also, if you do build the hutch and water it every day, you'll usually be getting enough slimes to put into the press every second or third day when the hutch is full. Personally I never kill the ones in the hutch (unless they get stuck in a wall) and there's still that much slime to go around.

• LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

I usually build the hutch fairly early on, even though I don't actually use it for slime breeding. Once you do that, you'll start getting eggs as the occasional drop from slimes as well, I saved up quite a few before I was ready to start my colonies. Especially the green eggs, I had like 30+ of those.

• sunlite

Unfortunately, there is no room on my farm for a hutch :( I'm gonna have to get eggs the hard way.

• LuthienNightwolf

Erm, I'm not sure you can get eggs until you build one. I could be wrong but I think that's how it works. You can always build it and destroy it later?

sunlite likes this.
              • Rauchschwalbe

Rauchschwalbe Cosmic Narwhal

You can't get them as drops until you build the Hutch, but you can make them using the Slime Press.

sunlite likes this.
                • Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Kee-rect. The Slime Hutch unlocks eggs as treasure drops from Slimes, but the slime-egg press works without needing to build a hutch. This is because CA wanted outdoor Slime ranching to still be possible if you couldn't afford/didn't want a Slime Hutch.

sunlite likes this.
                  • LuthienNightwolf

Ah, okay. I usually build the hutch before I'm able to make the press so I didn't know.

• MouseyPounds

MouseyPounds Cosmic Narwhal

Since I tend to restart somewhere around year 3 I don't do much of my own slime ranching, but I just wanted to say that this is my favorite thread on the forums. I salute all you hard-working slime herders; keep up the good gooey work!

• LuthienNightwolf

Well thank you! I'm glad so many people like our slimy hobby. lol

• Stryder87

Stryder87 Giant Laser Beams

I've started my little Slimageddon, two incubators in the htuch and two up by the railroad. Wouldn't you know it, the two purple eggs I hatched in the hutch gave me two males, and the two red ones I hatched at the railroad gave me two females.
                          Gahhh!!! If only you could pickup slimes and carry them around to relocate! If what I read was right, since I don't have a male and female in the hutch, that's why they aren't making slime balls, even though they are using up all the water. It's going to be a long, boring time in th emines getting a few hundred more slime to make eggs from. Ugh.

LuthienNightwolf likes this.
                          • LuthienNightwolf

Picking them up should be a thing. A slime-proof net to catch them would be fun! Then instead of killing the ones in the mines you could just collect them and take them home. :3

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

'But Granny Goop, I don't /want/ to eat my cave algae!'
                              'Hush, you little Sludge. You eat your algae or The Farm'r will git 'ya!'
                              A nervous silence fell over the crowd of jostling Slimelets. A dozen pairs of moist, sticky eyes looked up.
                              'Aw, there's no such thing as The Farm'r! That's just a story they made up!'
                              'Fat lot /you/ know about it, ya squishy sap! I tells ya The Farm'r's real! Seed it me'self! Y'r grand-unclenephew-sisterclone n' I were minding our own business in the dusty tunnel to the southwest, when it came outta nowhere! All glowy it was, and you could just /tell/ from the way it moved it had /bones/ inside it!'
                              The Slimlets shuddered at the thought of a creature with bones inside. Wasn't natural!
                              '...well, it just scooped y'r grand-unclenephew-sisterclone and hauled her off, ooz'n and slosh'n, and I never saw her again! They say if The Farm'r gits ya, you'll never see the dank drippy insides of a cave ever again! It'll be sunlight and flowers f'rever!'
                              Horrified at the very idea of it, the little Slimelets fell to eating their cave algae eagerly.

• LuthienNightwolf

That's adorable. lol I need to draw something to go with that one. >u<

• Charity322

Charity322 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm starting to feel restricted by my slime hutch, so I just have a few questions before my slimes set out to take over the world. :rofl:

How many slimes can you get in the open world? I know there's a limit of 20 in the hutch.
                                  If I somehow end up starting slimeageddon and they're everywhere, is there a way to get rid of them?
                                  How do you feed them? There aren't any portable water troughs.

• Ipielle

Ipielle Title Not Found

Hello, slimes don't need to be fed outside, they will not produce huge slimeballs but they will have lots of cute little slimes!
                                    I don't think there is a limit number wise outside, but when there are too many it will make your game crash, it's better to have them in a small area where you can more easily control their numbers. I think the train station is one of the best areas for now.
                                    They have a habit of getting out of the map boundaries, mocking us from cliffs and water areas because we can't reach them any longer. When that happens, bombs are your only solution to control their numbers and it is not very efficient.

Best of luck to you, fellow slime rancher!

Charity322 and LuthienNightwolf like this.
                                    • Seismothesaurus

Seismothesaurus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I haven't had any issues with escapees (or game performance) yet at the train station, and I have... approximately this many:
                                      20170703110339_1.jpg
                                      20170703110315_1.jpg

I wonder what factors cause them to get stuck up in the cliffs and if there's anything we can do to prevent it. If the laws of physics can't stop them from sticking to vertical surfaces and bouncing on water, what hope can we have for fences? :rofl:

(A couple of slimes actually got stuck in the wall of my hutch somehow. I never kill them, but I had to at that point because they were breeding in there.)

• LuthienNightwolf

Not sure it's preventable unfortunately as it seems to be an issue with the game itself rather than the number of slimes. I think confining them to an area that doesn't border any cliffs, water, fences or other barriers might help but they always seem to manage their way into those unreachable spots. lol Nature of the beast I suppose. >u<

My Reds are taking forever to establish a decently sized population, meanwhile the Greens are out of control. Probably won't raise them anywhere other than the train station in future saves.

Ipielle and sunlite like this.
                                        • sunlite

I think it's because of the locations. The train station is a less visited site than cindersap forest on an average save. Slimes possibly can only breed when a player is in the screen, and since cindersap forest is visited more often (for foraging, secret woods access, wizards tower, marnie's place, etc.) than the train station more breeding happens. It also helps to have a smaller area like on the train station.

Ipielle likes this.