1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

The limitations of the 3D printer

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Combine_Kegan, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Combine_Kegan

Combine_Kegan Phantasmal Quasar

So in one of Leth's streams, he got to play around with the 3D Printer a little, and it looks like it only accepts furniture items. Is that due to it not being finished or can we only dupe furniture?

I was kinda hoping we could dupe simple items like torches and consumable weapons like throwing knives, unless of course there's going to be a throwing knife that uses energy later on

2. Dynamicus

Dynamicus Space Penguin Leader

The news that it at least prints furniture is good news for a builder like me.

Serenity, Grannysniff, Cirom and 6 others like this.
  3. Arcadiax

Arcadiax Phantasmal Quasar

I'd assume you can maybe find blueprints of weapons or something to print them, I'm pretty sure I heard that most things were printable a while back, I could be wrong though.

4. gingerskittles

gingerskittles Subatomic Cosmonaut

He might have just been using a build that only aloud for him to dupe furniture so it wouldn't spoil anything to much. Or maybe you can only use it for furniture items, we can't knowfor sure until beta comes, or a dev tells us.

5. Landlaw

Landlaw Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Like you said, maybe we must find blueprints for other itens

6. Combine_Kegan

Combine_Kegan Phantasmal Quasar

But the 3D printer lets you scan and breakdown items, so that kinda goes against needing to find blueprints before you can break them down.

Also if we can't dupe actual items, I hope we can at LEAST dupe torches

Israphial likes this.
  7. Soggytoast

Soggytoast Void-Bound Voyager

We will find out as time goes by.

My guess is that:
    • Most randomly generated items can be broken down to give you the blueprint for the design.
    • Unique non randomly generated items will remain unique so they cannot be duplicated.
    • Certain items can only be made once you find the blueprint.

KirasiN and DotBeta like this.
  8. Aureas

Aureas Big Damn Hero

im probably gonna try not using the 3d printer it seems lazy.

Eriktion likes this.
  9. PurpleSquirel43

PurpleSquirel43 Pangalactic Porcupine

I thought it would work so that you can print any armor or weapon, just the newly printed item would have slightly worse stats. Maybe that just hasn't been implemented yet.

Eriktion likes this.
  10. Bomb

Bomb Title Not Found

I'd like the 3D Printer to be able to print anything--including blocks--as long as you feed the 3D Printer the item and scan it with a high probability (maybe ~75%?) of destroying that same item without producing a blueprint. This would make more happened-upon things like weapons much more valuable and you would think twice about putting your new laser-blade-thingy in the machine, lest it gobble the sword up and never return it; but a common block like Cobblestone would be much easier to scan into a blueprint due to having massive amounts of it on hand.

All I want is to be able to build things anywhere, anytime. I'd love being able to warp to a new planet, print some basic materials that I'd need for shelter (Wooden Planks, some Cobblestone or something), beam down and start building right away without a "hunting and hounding" phase. I just love the shelter-building parts of both Minecraft and Terraria, but I hate starting a build and suddenly running out of wood or stone. Needing to wait for more trees to grow in Terraria is uncool for a "go-go-go, now-now-now" guy like myself, which is why I'm so keen on this 3D Printer feature in Starbound.

Fingers crossed for some 3D-printed blocks!

Eriktion likes this.
  11. Aureas

Aureas Big Damn Hero

Yeah i guess that would be cool if they had you put something in atleast to get the items. Like putting a certain amount of cobblestone to get torches or something. You shouldnt be able to do it at no cost.

Eriktion likes this.
  12. Wow this 3d printer sounds like it's gonna make a bunch of peoples lives easier when it comes to furnishing your house. I might just wanna stick to actually finding all the furniture in my house than just having a big cloned home with no story to tell. I can definitely see the attraction when making walls and flooring though.

I wouldn't mind having to find an actual blueprint before being able to dial in the 3d copier for replication or something of the sort. It would add a little extra challenge.

Eriktion likes this.
  13. Sowaka

Sowaka Phantasmal Quasar

The whole idea of the in-game currency is that it's the "fuel" that a 3D printer uses to create items. Pixels are the items that you're inserting so that the printer can create objects, if you make a chair in the 3D printer then you're technically sitting on a highly organized pile of currency.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  14. NEO|Phyte

NEO|Phyte Subatomic Cosmonaut

Not sure how dated my information is, but as I understand the crafting/printing situation:

To craft an item, you need to find the blueprints for it, then have materials on-hand.
    To print an item, you need to feed a copy of the item into the printer, then you can print it using pixels, which are the 'ink' for the 3d printer.

Printed items would be marked as such, and would be less valuable for trade and such.

Bumber likes this.
  15. Israphial

Israphial Big Damn Hero

Also, consider that more valuable items will cost you more to print.

Eriktion likes this.
  16. Skarn

Skarn Existential Complex

At least at the start of the game, the 3D printer is pretty much the same as what we've got in real life, just faster and on a larger scale. But regardless, the overall quality of it is the same: it'll work fine for decorations or maybe structures, but when you get down to it, it's made out of printer material and not what it's supposed to be made out of, which hinders the function of pretty much anything else. Weapons or armor wouldn't work the way they're supposed to, a torch couldn't light, food wouldn't be edible, etc.

While it would be nice to have complete freedom to make anything with it, that might actually be too powerful a feature. Then again, only being able to use it on decorations is kind of... Limiting. As fun as chairs and zen gardens and such are, unless we can get something useful out of it, there's going to be a lot of people who never bother with it, and that would be a shame because it's a cool idea.
    My OCD will probably prevent me from using printed stuff alongside non-printed stuff.

IT'S NOT THE SAME! (Even though it looks identical :rofl:)

17. Sounds interesting, I like this much more.

18. Spike

Spike Supernova

Erick648 likes this.
  19. Erick648

Erick648 Pangalactic Porcupine

Yeah, it seems like the purpose of the 3D printer is to make it easier to furnish your houses.

So, for example, if you find a painting that you like in a Glitch settlement, you can scan it, print a bunch of copies, and put them in all your houses.

Conversely, I doubt gameplay-related items like weapons and armor will be printable (at least not without some sort of penalty).

PurpleSquirel43 likes this.
  20. Grannysniff

Grannysniff Pangalactic Porcupine

I imagined that in Spys voice

Dynamicus likes this.