1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

WIP The Kor'Zhiio

Discussion in 'Races' started by Ethereal Tundra, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Ethereal Tundra

Ethereal Tundra Master Chief

Partly posting this so early so that I can tell myself I have people counting on me to finish this mod because I've been procrastinating SO MUCH and need that little push to finish it.

The Kor'Zhiio Race

The Kor'Zhiio are a race of highly advanced bio-technological androids. Part machine, part synthesized organic components, all artificial, and fully cognisant and self-aware. Their past is full of mystery, their future full of possibilities. What has brought this race to our galaxy? Who are they, and what is their history?

I'll be scattering codices around the universe (and more) to answer these questions and provide a rich, deep, lore-filled history for this race, but I can provide some of the answers now:

About the race:
    • Artificial life-forms made up of technological components and artificial biological components (synthesized over time by the technological components).
    • Different cultures and subcultures.
    • They're from the future!
    • Artistic and technological aesthetics show off their unique style of sleek, practical, organic, and synthetic.
    • Not your typical robot people.
    (Eventual) Features:
    • Full compatibility (and encouraged for use) with Frackin' Races.
    • Full 0-8 Ship
    • A brand new kind of crafting
    • At least 3 new weapon types
    • At least 2 new techs
    • Dozens of new recipes for clothing, food, instruments, and other immersive items
    • At least 5 types of random colony spawns
    • Tenants
    • Crew
    • Fully tiered armor and weapons (Including a perfect-tier set to present an alternative for perfectly generic armor)
    • Ship pet
    • Missions
    • Possibly more!

Totally arbitrary progress estimate: 40%

Will post previews and other information as they become available. Any questions, advice, or requests should be submitted now!

Previews:
    Videos
    Current:

Images

Progress Update 9/18/2017 8:10 PM UTC
    Ship - Almost completely functional. Still aligning images and creating assets. Full list of ship assets and their current status:

• Objects : finished, may touch up.
    • Elevators (hatches are gross) - Ready, with planned adjustments.
    • Walls, glass, and platforms - Finished.
    • Ship pet - Work in progress. Will not be a terrestrial animal, but an adorable little alien creature native to the Kor'Zhiio homeworld.

Weapons - In production, some already finished and in balance testing.

• At least 4 Kor'Zhiio-exclusive weapon types will be added (2 have already been added).
    • Custom sounds (made from vanilla .oggs) will be used to complement the unique style of the Kor'Zhiio weapons.
    • Kor'Zhiio weapons won't rely on raw stats and brute force, but on energy efficiency and cleverness.

Armor - coming soon.
    Clothing, food, and instruments - coming after weapons & armor.
    Colony spawns - Coming after clothing, food, and instruments.
    Tenants, crew, and missions - coming after colony spawns.
    Brand new kind of crafting - probably coming last as I'll need the combined experience and knowledge I've learned from everything else to accomplish what I'm hoping to accomplish.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    Cryptoid and Alexandrina like this.
  2. Joolemecow_The_Fox

Joolemecow_The_Fox Void-Bound Voyager

3. Ethereal Tundra

So much to do, so much to procrastinate! Thanks for posting and reminding me to get to work lol.

I'll have an update with a preview today.

4. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

See, mentioning that they have different cultures and subcultures isn't that helpful if you don't give at least one example of each. Regardless, this seems interesting, so I'm going to see what comes out of it.

Ethereal Tundra likes this.
  5. Ethereal Tundra

I can show you this...
    http://i.imgur.com/KtHCAJB.png

Each of the skin colors (not shades) indicates another ethnicity. They will each have detailed lore about their histories and cultures through codices spread throughout their village spawns (and potentially dungeons). From top to bottom, they are the Kor'Orii, Po'Hakan, Na'Vahii, Ji'Korzha, and the Zhor'Karai. The particularly and out-of-place four at the bottom are included as deviations from the norm, and will be explained in the Kor'Zhiio canon as voluntary alterations or originating in unusual circumstances.

The Kor'Orii are the originals. As they spread throughout the universe and got cut off from the homeworld in diverse environments, they adapted over time to their new homes. The Po'Hakan are accustomed to rocky, earthy, or desert environments. The Na'Vahii are accustomed to prolonged spacefaring and temporary settlements. The Ji'Korzha are accustomed to lush jungles and rain forests. The Zhor'Karai are accustomed to dry or hot environments. They each have slightly different personality trends that correspond to their environments and histories, and add a unique vibrance to each of them. Or so I'm hoping to achieve ^-^

6. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Hmmm. Ok. Not really seeing the whole "part machine" bit in those sprites, though.

7. Ethereal Tundra

Adult Kor'Zhiio do not appear outwardly machine-like. They're androids, not Glitch, and not some strange glitch-human hybrid.

Think this:
    http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/053/757/8de.png
    http://pre00.deviantart.net/e4ce/th/pre/i/2012/240/2/c/android_girl_by_skypepsi-d5ct65a.jpg
    (found them by google search)

Nier: Automata is another good example.

Androids appear human-like. The Kor'Zhiio especially so, since they legitimately have skin and other organic components which have been synthesized by their technological components as they grow. Outside, they have skin that looks unnatural, but complete, and feels like skin. It doesn't have dry parts or discrepancies or scarring or even hair in most places. Some technology pokes through, such as the lights on their arms, bellybuttons, hips, eyes, tail, and head protrusions. The lights on their tails and head protrusions are connected to dark metallic pieces, which are also visible.

[​IMG]

8. Ethereal Tundra

Little update on this:

Ran into an error that's very difficult to diagnose and I've been working on it all day. Something is keeping the ship world from generating. Preview available once it's fixed.

Got it fixed and "functional". This is pretty much an alpha build of the mod. There's a lot that I need to touch up and make, still, but I can give you some preview images, which I'm posting to the OP now.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  9. Ethereal Tundra

OP Updated with alpha preview footage. I still have a LOT to change about the mod. If anyone sees anything (other than the horrible ship walls, pair of white tail pixels, and ship pet without animations) that you would really like to see changed or improved, let me know!

10. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

Way to go, have a whale :D

11. Ethereal Tundra

Woah this community is still alive?

I ended up stopping my work on the mod because there seemed to be almost no interest in it, and the interest in starbound seemed to be dying down in general. When time came for me to start learning lua to do things, I placed the amount of effort involved in that beside the really low amount of interest in me even doing this, and it just kinda faded out of view I guess.

I'll gladly take it back up if people say they're interested though! I also welcome any help, especially in regards to lua.

12. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

I'm poorly knowledgeable with that matter, but I'd be glad to help you with the lore

13. The Purple Dragon

The Purple Dragon Master Astronaut

Looks like it could be a great mod! I can help with any lore if you want it.

14. Ethereal Tundra

Anyone else interested in me finishing this? I mean, it's a huge amount of work, especially when it comes to lua.

If enough people respond to this saying "Hey Tundra, finish your mod!" then I'll probably finish it :)

At such a time, I'll contact anyone who offers to help via PMs in order to coordinate the project.

15. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

I may not be the most available, but I'd be glad to help

16. The Purple Dragon

"Hey Tundra, finish your mod!"
    Is that good?

17. Ethereal Tundra

it's definitely a start!

The Purple Dragon likes this.
  18. The Purple Dragon

I really like the mod. If you ever need any ideas for lore than I can help if you need it.

19. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

20. Ethereal Tundra

I PM'd both of you. I've decided to finish the Kor'Zhiio mod, and I've got a lot of ideas swirling around in my head.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    Cryptoid likes this.