[The Kingdoms] RP story building - All builders welcomed!

Discussion in 'Screenshots' started by SivCorp, Feb 12, 2016.

1. SivCorp

SivCorp Parsec Taste Tester

Simply by update activity. If' it's more than a few months old, the Kingdom is still there and all, but just un-updated. It's a way to keep track of the activity, that's all.

2. Kirumaru

Kirumaru Pangalactic Porcupine

Out of curiosity - Has anyone ever tried world-sharing?

I assume you'd have to fly to the coordinates and generate the world on your local system folders.
    Then replace the generated file with one that's been built upon by someone here.
    This way without even entering multiplayer we could explore each others kingdoms.

I have never tried it, but I suppose I could test it on my wife's computer.
    Is something like this possible?

Never likes this.
  3. Never

Never Pangalactic Porcupine

I'd assume so, but test with all the same mods installed first

might be a bit harder for this project considering everyone runs different mods.

4. Kirumaru

Ah yes - Excellent point. That could end up being a burden.
    I'll keep that in mind. I'd like to visit some of the other Kingdoms at some point, though.

Well, and have them not just be empty planets. =)

5. Vospier

Vospier Void-Bound Voyager

Some questions about which comes first. I plan to start a new character for this:
    1 :: Lumber/Sapling - Can I plant saplings and chop down these trees for timber prior to a lumberjack / tree farm?
    2 :: Seeds/Purchase - Are purchased seeds (e.g. Coffee from the Outpost) acceptable? (I'm assuming I can warp back to spaceship and go to the Outpost... but then again it's kindda hard to move to steel without visiting the Outpost)
    3 :: Product/Crafting - Do I need a carpenter before I can make furniture, or can I make all the tools/furniture that I need and populate the houses before a carpenter is designated. Same with a smithy/Miner vs Anvil/Furnace I guess?
    4 :: Water - Since my new character will not have the Manipulator Upgrade to move liquids yet, I'm assuming a rough gauge for well water per citizen will do?
    5 :: Lunar Mining Base - Getting construction plans from the mission will open up futuristic items - are they acceptable for Steel/Liquid Fuel Tier.
    6 :: Spaceport - a Tier 1 (Stone/Iron) spaceport would be kind of ancient-looking (A flat cobblestoned place, essentially?). But I'm guessing this is a requirement to access the spaceship?
    7 :: I'm playing the game unmodded. Will this be a problem?

SivCorp likes this.
  6. Never

Never Pangalactic Porcupine

Seconding all these questions

7. TheFloranChef

TheFloranChef Giant Laser Beams

I think any rules are secondary and the most important thing is to tell the story of the character. If there is something you wanna do, just explain it in a reasonable way.

I'll try to answer these questions, but I could be wrong:

1- Even if you don't have a lumberjack/tree farm, you can have people temporarily working as lumberjacks. I always assume that new citizens in my colony start as workers and only take their jobs after the new buildings for that post are ready. That explains how I can build things fast even though I only have two workers.
    2- I did some exploring before I started building my colony, so I gathered a lot of seeds. Buying from the outpost should be fine. And you can access your ship, unless you are not supposed to have it, according to your story.
    3- Same as 1. You can improvise things until you have dedicated workers. But it wouldn't make sense to build lots of metal buildings before having a miner and a smelter, for example.
    4- I see no problem with that.
    5- If you want to use these items before reaching that tech level, just give an explanation. Your character could have found them in the lunar base, bought them on the outpost, etc.
    6- I don't think you need it to access your spaceship, but if you want to have more ships or trade with other kingdoms you'd need a spaceport, even if it's primitive.
    7- No problem.

The Kingdoms become more interesting as new players join. I hope more people will give it a try. :)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  8. Vospier

Vospier Void-Bound Voyager

Thanks! I'll post something up once I get my colony going. :nod:

SivCorp and TheFloranChef like this.
  9. SivCorp

World sharing is possible. But only if you have the same universe seed. The seed is tied to the OS you are running. So users of windows 7 can share, but not windows 8, or 10. Unless that has changed recently....

But I agree, it would be quite fun to take a look at others works.

Lots of good questions.

The start is fairly open on how you want to do it. Some have been marooned, others have escaped... it is really up to you how you want to start your story.

For # 1-3, it is fairly open. You can make a basic set for yourself, but in order to share the crafts of each crafting table, you need a worker to work them. For example, you can plant a farm, make a house, smelt ore and make clothing... all at the start for yourself and your first colonists. However, for each colonist to get clothing, you must have a worker making them. You can't make everything yourself (even though in game you do).
    #4 - yes, just a well, or cistern for water is all that is needed. Or a mod that lets you build water collection without needing the manipulator works too.
    #5 - You can have whatever upgrades you want at any time, so long as the story has it explained well. I have a warp drive and only steal level on my story, for example... for it came from a ship that rendezvoused with the colony. Just keep it believable.
    #6 - No, a spaceport is not necessary to access your spaceship, or to even create ships. Look at my Kingdom, all you need is a factory to create the parts for them. The port will be needed for setting up trade and to start moving resources between worlds efficiently.
    #7 - No problem at all.

And TheFloranChef was mostly on point with the answers too ;) Thanks!

TheFloranChef likes this.
  10. TheFloranChef

Maybe after 1.0 we could have a list of suggested mods to make it easier to share world files. However, different OS would still be a problem.

I wonder if we'll be able to visit each other with steam invites, even with different OS.

11. SivCorp

I'm thinking with the steam invites, that will change how some of this will go.

For mods, We will have to see what ones update and are compatible... but if they don't have a block creation crafting table ingame, that will be the first one, for sure.

The Squid, TheFloranChef and Kirumaru like this.
  12. Kirumaru

As others have said, the "role-play" really comes first and is as you see fit.

For example, I planned to start with just 1 colonist with a broken matter manipulator and no ship of his own.
    I decided for him to survive on his own (believably) he'd have to worry about food, water and shelter above all else.
    So he can't afford to spend too much time cutting down and planting trees. I limit him to 1-2 trees cut down a day and plant one a week.

This has made his start slow and difficult (but he's just one person!) and his builds are small and 99% made of wood.
    It's a limit that I put on myself to tell a fun story and challenge myself to play minimalist (until the colony grows).

This is just how I decided to play. Of course the character "has a ship" by virtue of the game mechanics itself, but he doesn't have a mine or any miners so a trip to gather core fragments to fix the ship "I don't have" is impossible. I have to decide if I'm going to fix up his starter ship legit (and omit from the story that I traveled to the center of the planet without tools or supplies to do so) or just /admin the ship when I acquire a ship for my character - or build a mine, then acquire a ship to repair - something. It's all pretty much up to the story you're trying to tell and you just kind of tweak the game mechanics as you need to in order to facilitate telling a good story about the colony.

SivCorp and TheFloranChef like this.
  13. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

We should compile a list of all the mods we have so that world sharing is easier.

SivCorp likes this.
  14. SivCorp

Agreed. I'll put a subpost in the OP once we get everyone's mods list.

I use the following....
    The one I'm using for the thrusters and ship parts is Hull Plating Blocks. It's old, but still works.
    I also use Blocktable Plus so I can craft all the blocks in game, not just raid dungeons for them.

The big one I use is Frakin Universe. Planets, power, bees, drinks, all kinds of stuff in this one.

I also like some automation from the Automatic Irrigator. Water pots are soooo not cool.

And for organization, I use the Item Broadcastor system. Once I'm organized, I stay organized

xsmech mod for the Mechs. Everyone needs more mechs.

I also have the Avali, Avikan and Peglaci Race mods, with a character expander mod to use them. I LOVE the tents of the Avikan mod! Perfect desert race.

Additionally, I have the gardenbot mod, greeebles mod, and steambound mod. Haven't used any of these assets yet, though.
    I will most likely by useing the Steambound system instead of the item broadcaster, once I've switched to it. It just takes more to set up, whereas the item broadcaster simply needs little nodes that communicate within themselves.

Added the subpost. Check it out!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
    The Squid, TheFloranChef and Never like this.
  15. TheFloranChef

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
    SivCorp likes this.
  16. Kirumaru

These are the mods I'm using - most of which have been on the suggestion of you guys (thanks so much for Blocktable Plus!)

Automatic Irrigator (I haven't used it yet)
    Blocktable Plus
    FrackinUniverse (can't live without it pre-1.0)
    Hull Plating Blocks & More

Edit: Castlevania Furniture (wanted to check this out)

I also have Felins and XBawks Character Creator (Race Extender) installed for something else I was doing,
    but not using any Felin resources in my colony (yet - if ever) as far as I know.

Also my main character recently discovered his colony exists in Talitha Rim I (b) but no known coordinates yet.
    If you would be so kind as to add that to the main post whenever it is convenient.

Last edited: May 8, 2016
    SivCorp likes this.
  17. Kirumaru

Random Suggestion for the Census:

Add what week (or whatever timeframe the author is using) the empire is currently in for relativity purposes.
    Just so we know how long they've been developing to get to the points that they are currently at when the census is taken.

SivCorp likes this.
  18. Tazmaniac95

Tazmaniac95 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

So as I understand it anyone can join at any time and while starting a new character is recommended it is not necessary as long as you start on a low tier planet with low tier armor?

The Squid likes this.
  19. SivCorp

Correct. It is about story telling and building. You don't even have to follow the normal progression... But you do need to follow the single person per crafting table rule, just to keep your kingdom growing.

Feel free to browse and ask questions of the other builders too :)

And I'll be updating the OP with the above suggestions once I get some free time... Work is kicking my tail. :(

TheFloranChef likes this.
  20. TheFloranChef

Well, you don't need to build your colony on the first planet, you can choose a different biome. But the Kingdom will start with low tech, so it might be difficult to survive on dangerous planets.