1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

The "First" Playable Race?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Spike, May 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spike

Spike Supernova

When the Avians are recently introduced, the Devs informed us that they are going ot be the first "Playable" Race. The picture might be too small for you to look at, but you can look at the real quote from the starbound homepage. Starbound First Playable Race.jpg
    So does that mean humans haven't been determined as a race of people yet? Could it also mean that the humans that have been programmed are simply Easter eggs, and we cannot play as humans in starbound?

2. Wuzhles

Wuzhles Cosmic Narwhal

Why would you even assume this? That'd be pissing off ALOT of their fanbase.

3. saracresp

saracresp Subatomic Cosmonaut

Good point, mayba they mean playable race besides humans cuz they already said that they had a feature of choosing different human features.

4. Spike

Spike Supernova

Good point. I underestimated people's love for humans. I believe they have misspoke on the intro rather than being serious about excluding humans; although the game would be that much more unique if they included every color of the pallet....but humans. But I do agree it's highly unlikely.

5. Dr. Robotnik

Dr. Robotnik Aquatic Astronaut

This is rather unlikely, as I am sure that he meant that it's the first playable race they came up with.

6. 0ptimistPrime

0ptimistPrime Big Damn Hero

its spelled "first" not "frist". but on topic i really dont give a s*** about humans. I WANT MONKEYS

7. SyberSmoke

SyberSmoke Subatomic Cosmonaut

May be their wording is proper. What if they are talking about and releasing the playable races in alphabetical order. In that case Avians would be the first playable race. Humans may be a couple races after that...so it is possible their statement is technically correct based on the ordering of the races.

8. Spike

Spike Supernova

Oh good lord I can't fix it.
    images (2).jpg

acrios90 and OmnipotentEntity like this.
  9. Herbert Obo

Herbert Obo Void-Bound Voyager

I find that extremely unlikely, they would have to already have a comprehensive list of playable races.

When I read the intro I had similar concerns as the OP, but I ended up dismissing them not having humans. However, I have my doubts as to them having apes. I know they are on the List of Announced Game Information but I'm still not sure if it's true, the only ape content I've seen was one guy in a screenshot who appeared to me to be wearing a mask.

10. Joxalot

Joxalot Subatomic Cosmonaut

Humans are actually only playable if you purchase the upcoming DLC that will cost 10 dollars. It also come with a pistol that shoot in every direction and a map pack that allow generation of cheese wheel worlds.

11clock likes this.
  11. Breather

Breather Oxygen Tank

Well, we have SEEN humans being played... sooo. But, we also have seen an ape race, too. But perhaps the Avians are the first in terms of the lore and background.

12. Spike

Spike Supernova

Good point. Perhaps humans will be implemented later, once they get a complete overhaul and some more smooth transitions.

13. SyberSmoke

I find it very likely that they have a design plan that describes several key aspects of the game and where they would like it to go. Including the description of the number of initial races and what those could be in idea and rough description format. This is just basic game design principle and how things are done in a development process. Even writers flesh out key characters, a broad story arc, and other important elements. This way you avoid feature creep and a never ending development cycle.

14. Jayne Cobb

Jayne Cobb Big Damn Hero

I can't take this seriously cause of the typo lol

However it could be that they maybe a mistake and had assumed that people already knew humans or some human looking humanoid would be in the game. Although maybe what we see are polar bears dressed as humans so they can mingle and eat us :eek::cautious:

Also, they might mean that it is the first officially announced race

15. Herbert Obo

Herbert Obo Void-Bound Voyager

I agree with everything except the second sentence. It is completely against their design plans; they listen to their followers, and if they had all of their races figured out they would announce that they were not taking submissions for playable races.

16. SyberSmoke

As I said it is a design plan, not a carved in stone design. Any design has to be flexible, they are just using the flexability they have. But every designer knows what they like and while they may be taking submissions, I would also bet they have some idea of "core species" that can be playable races. After all...it is their game.

17. But then APes should stay before AVians! In alphabetical order. :geek:

18. Dawgenstien

Dawgenstien Subatomic Cosmonaut

I think all they were trying to say was it's the first race they've officially announced

19. Jayne Cobb

Jayne Cobb Big Damn Hero

:cool:

20. Dawgenstien

Dawgenstien Subatomic Cosmonaut

oh, didn't mean to steal your thunder, I just didn't read every post. sry :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.