1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

The Ark (Next Update talk/theories)

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by jpmrocks, Apr 3, 2015.

1. River King

River King Big Damn Hero

I mean can I steal the doors?I've yet to play the Nightlive build. :sarcasm:

2. Ferrettomato

Ferrettomato Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I never suggested that the Protector would come back. My theories revolve around the holograms depicting past events, rather than future events that the Precursors could logically not have predicted. This means you would not be pushing the Destroyer into the black hole, you would be doing something else. This is because the Biome Diagram says that the player will fly their ship through the black hole, something the Protector does not have to do in the holograms. I think this proves that the holograms aren't depicting what the player is going to do.
    I'd like to point out that, although he leads the Florans, it's never confirmed that Greenfinger himself is a member of the race. Moreover, he has a tendency to refer to Florans from an outside point of view. Also, "green finger" (also known as "green thumb") is a term used to describe someone who is adept at growing plants. I think that Greenfinger may be a scientist who created the Florans. I might even go so far as to say that Greenfinger may actually be a Precursor, but such an accusation would be based purely on the fact that the Precursors seem to have a fondness for creating (Glitch) and influencing (Avian) other races. If this is true, Greenfinger might also be the one in charge of the distribution and preservation of the keys. (as far as we know, Precursors might have incredibly long lifespans)

Any Illuminati-esque organization would likely be the interspecies gathering that includes Greenfinger, Big Ape, and Thornwing. The (highly redacted) Minutes of a Meeting codex suggests that there may be a secretive situation that they're involved in.

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  3. Notunknown

Notunknown Scruffy Nerf-Herder

They know how to use black holes as prisons and transport - if the prison is decaying they could know that eventually the monster will escape.

As for the biome diagram, that says that you have the capability - it does not mean that you have the fight inside the black hole. Maybe they hid other treasures inside - possibly the keys themselves lie within black holes, in parts of the galaxy controlled by the different races, rather than actually entrusted to them physically.

4. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

On the topic of Greenfinger, could it be possible that he might be a descendant of the Precursor? Sort of like a demigod? Maybe he created the Florans. I mean, his name is Greenfinger, and a thumb is considered by some to be a finger. His name is basically 'green thumb.'

5. Tatterdemalion

Tatterdemalion Phantasmal Quasar

I'd like to point out a new story tidbit from the nightlies:
    [​IMG]
    The armoured cultist set, brand new and unfinished. This basically confirms that the cultists are getting a rework and do worship the Beast. So there's that.

6. Ferrettomato

What?
    You just reiterated everything I said about Greenfinger.
    Interesting...

7. Taich

Taich Tentacle Wrangler

very very interesting

8. Notunknown

Notunknown Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If Greenfinger is not a Floran, would we not know? Unless nobody has ever seen him, like Big Ape.

9. dar601

dar601 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The Precursors may have had something to do with the Erchius crystals, because they were definitely at the lunar base. (secret room) The motive being that the races need to meet somehow, and if there is no way to have Faster-Than-Light travel, how is that possible? Though it might be a test so that the player is able to defeat the tentacles

10. Ferrettomato

No, we would not know. His identity is never directly explained in lore, and we as the players have never seen him. However, it's clear that some have seen him, as he seems to have conversed with both Thornwing and Big Ape on multiple occasions. (Greenfinger describes Big Ape as "brash" and "boorish")

11. bLANKMOD

bLANKMOD And Do the MONKEY!

Have we taken into account the race of annoying mushroom people?

12. Varixai

Varixai Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

I think it is highly unlikely that the Agaran are the "8th race". By all accounts the Floran created them, and fairly recently at that.

13. bLANKMOD

Oh yeah. I forgot that agaran were a branch (pun intended) of floran.

14. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

[​IMG]

Ancient chest has what looks like an eye.

If we all remember the origional monolith gate had an eye in the 8th race spot...

MysticMalevolence and shannyxvx like this.
  15. bLANKMOD

Cyclops race confirmed? Or maybe its a sub race of the giant evil tentacle monster that is allegedly sealed behind the ark?

16. The Observer

The Observer Phantasmal Quasar

Actually, this isn't quite right. The in-game description of the floran sandstone statue states in no uncertain terms that this is Greenfinger:

"Greenfinger. Ssspecial Floran. Sssmell funny. "

He's famous enough for even a floran PC to recognise him, so...

17. Varixai

Varixai Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

A whole bunch of new goodies in the latest news blog and nightly update:

GeorgeV: "???"
    [​IMG] (Source)

[​IMG]

^ Decoding album updated.

Some interesting things among the dialogue changes:

Human to Human:
    Old: "I wonder if we'll ever reclaim Earth."
    New: "I wonder if we'll ever rebuild Earth."

Human to Glitch:

Old: "Did you hear about our planet? Bit rubbish, really."
    New: "Did you hear about our planet? Tragic."

Old: "If you ever go to Earth, can you try and analyse that tentacle monster?"
    New: Nothing (it got removed)

All of those dialogue changes suggest that Earth has been completely destroyed in the current/new lore, whereas in the old lore it was still around but extremely damaged and in the clutches of the tentacle monster, hence needing "reclaimed".

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  18. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Those quote changes don'e necessaraly say Earth was destroyed. They changed Reclaim to Rebuild. Could just mean the tentacle monster that attacked is gone and Humans would like to rebuild earth, as in recolonize it.

MysticMalevolence and Caesar XII like this.
  19. bLANKMOD

Does it say whom he takes care of? Any info at all about the caretaker?

20. HyperTech32

HyperTech32 Void-Bound Voyager

or.........
    ...SONIC UNLEASHED! :rofl:
    sorry 'bout that i just had to get that out of my system[DOUBLEPOST=1433299691][/DOUBLEPOST]Ok heres my real theory... or as real as it can get.
    So upon experience in the game i'm pretty sure all of us have seen tentacle planets, so that would be great evidence that the theory of some Indescribable Horror has been laying eggs all over planets. The statue also looks like the Bounty Hunter (AKA the murderous monster who puts his victim's dead corpse into a trash bag and waits until a Player or "Hero" comes and burns it for some useless gun) has nothing to do with what im saying besides the fact that both have a wire near their neck (it could be that the just swapped the color pallets but that artwork looks really detailed and i doubt that anybody would want to redo that) and it made me think, could that person really be a robot...
    i dunno... probably not.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
    The Squid likes this.