1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

The Ark (Next Update talk/theories)

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by jpmrocks, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Nutric

Nutric Pangalactic Porcupine

The two big questions for me right now:

Who the heck is this:
    [​IMG]
    And what system this is:
    [​IMG]

2. Deathedge736

Deathedge736 Giant Laser Beams

where did you get the helmet and backpack you are using?

3. Nutric

Nutric Pangalactic Porcupine

Meeeeh. Used the Ultimate Box mod to get those. Completely aesthetic, there's no armor or energy bonus from 'em. Just look cool.

4. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

Are there supposed to be images here? Because I can't see them.

5. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

They are of the ark statues and doorway/solar system hologram.

6. Ferrettomato

Ferrettomato Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The statue on the left is most likely the Protector, the mysterious colossal being shown in the first and third holograms who sealed away the Destroyer (the main tentacle beast) inside the black hole. This is backed up by the rather Destroyer-looking statue on the right, suggesting that the two statues are the two beings told of in the holograms.

As for the system, there isn't much we can say about it. We do know that it isn't Earth's solar system (which is the only system we're distinctly familiar with) and that it's orbiting the wrong way (lazarus78 says that all known systems orbit counter-clockwise, this one doesn't), but other than that, we know nothing. Given the way our theories on the meaning of all this are going, it's perfectly possible that the system is there for aesthetic reasons, but then again, CF seems to have made sure that every other little detail in the Ark has meaning, so perhaps not.

P.S: Something I'd like to note that probably isn't of any use to anyone, the rock formations surrounding the statues have a propensity for spirals.

P.P.S: Nutric, are the Hylotl eyes in your picture deliberately oval-shaped? From what I know, Hylotl eyes are fairly circular.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  7. skyace65

skyace65 Aquatic Astronaut

what If the system hologram is the system where the outpost is?

8. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

If the Progenitors were that big, how would they fit through the black hole gate? And wouldn't the tentacle beast also have to be ridiculously enormous?

9. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Who says the ark is the black hole? Black holes are massive and the depictions of the monster show it as planet sized.

10. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

I didn't mean that the Ark was the black hole. I meant that the gate there lead to thr black hole.

11. Ferrettomato

Well, if you look at the third hologram, you'll notice that there's no gate around the black hole. What probably happened was this: the Destroyer was pushed in, the black hole was closed, and the gate was built around the location of it. It's likely that the six keys will only open the black hole wide enough to fill the inside of the gate, to avoid destroying the Ark/letting the Destroyer escape. (instead of the size it was during the clash between the Protector and the Destroyer(by the way, what could we call that clash? "The Cataclysm", maybe? On the other hand, if we can glean anything about the disappearance of the Precursors, it might turn out that "The Cataclysm" is a good name for that. If anyone can think of a better name, please share it)).

Also, by my reasoning, the Precursors weren't like the Destroyer. They were 4-block-tall humanoids, since they're listed in the same fashion as the other 7 races, all of which share those proportions. Not to mention the fact that they never had to enter the black hole to begin with.
    You make a promising point. Showing the system where the Outpost and the Ark lie would make a lot more sense than showing some other system. It might have functioned as either a monitoring display to detect threats or a method of orientation for those wondering where they are.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  12. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

Or the hologram could show the system where the tentacle beast originated.

13. Ferrettomato

Well, that's getting back to the shaky subject of the creation of the Starbound universe. My theory is that the Protector and the Destroyer were two demigods created "in the beginning", in a world of planets filled with unevolved life. The Destroyer sought to eliminate this life, while the Protector sought to nurture it. If this is the case, then the tentacle beast doesn't have a point of origin. Besides, if that system was the Destroyer's point of origin, what purpose would displaying it serve? Not to mention the fact that the place where the Destroyer originated probably wouldn't have any intact planets for parsecs, whereas the hologram clearly shows perfectly untouched planets and no sign of debris.

The Squid likes this.
  14. Ferrettomato

So... are we done here?

15. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

No! I have some interesting screenshots I found! But I'm don't have access to my computer right now, so they'll have to wait.

16. Ferrettomato

Any ETA on these alleged screenshots?

17. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

Well, there's this one, which is a background statue that I never noticed. It has the eye. Screen Shot 2015-04-11 at 9.58.03 AM.png
    And then this hologram. It depicts the tentacle monster destroying a planet. It does not, however, show the monster burrowing into the planet. Screen Shot 2015-04-11 at 9.57.16 AM.png

18. Varixai

Varixai Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

You can see everything from that planet in exceptional detail on the Ark wiki page. ;)

Just click on the big statues at the top to see their full images.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
    The Squid likes this.
  19. Ferrettomato

1) Yes, as Varixai said, everyone already knows that the statue on the right has a tentacle eye.
    2) Well, yes, because that monster has already grown larger than a planet (if it isn't the Destroyer). Tentacle beasts start out quite small, being spawned by the Destroyer and landing on planets, then proceeding to burrow deep inside them. They quietly grow (although their source of nutrients is dubious) until they burst through the outer shell of the planet, destroying it. The tentacle beast pictured in the hologram is likely the Destroyer, and as such it never had to grow (if my theory about the Protector and the Destroyer existing since the beginning is correct) by burrowing inside a planet. Burrowing is limited to baby tentacle beasts, so even if it isn't the Destroyer, it still makes sense that a fully grown beast (one the size of planets) wouldn't do so.

The Squid likes this.
  20. HuelerMage

HuelerMage Subatomic Cosmonaut

I came up to a conclusion where the 8th race is not a playable race but more than
    a part of the story. (Check out the Ark on the link below and on the current one) The Ark was created before the creation of the races (only the pillars not the gateway), inorder for the creations to know that they're not alone incase they found it asap. The creators tried to make an another unique race among the 7...It was born with only an eye, placed and left on a planet. Time passed and it grew very quickly. The only thing that it knows
    is just to oblitirate everything on its sight then multiply across the galaxy. The creators responded quickly so thats why they made a gateway between the pillars that leads to a blackhole. In that gateway, the god pushed away the 8th race which was supposed to be the tentacles. After that, they gave the keys to each leaders etc etc ... so on and so forth.

Sooo, the tentacle's eyes were removed from the ark pillars because of how it became.
    Check this out, if you're wondering why ----

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015