1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

The Ark (Next Update talk/theories)

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by jpmrocks, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Lintton

Lintton Guest

If earth was still around, wouldn't it be "rebuild on earth" instead? Also, what does this mean for tentacle planets, as I thought that is what earth became.

2. eksynn

eksynn Giant Laser Beams

did anyone else notice the tentacle monster's eye in the ground beneath the "IT WILL RETURN" message (and to the right a little)?

The Squid likes this.
  3. Varixai

Varixai Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

I think many people have, I noted it on the wiki page 2 months ago and I'm sure it's been discussed in this thread. (though the thread is getting pretty long) ;)

It is neat though. I think it was put there to put to rest any doubts about what "is returning". (The tentacle monster, not the cat which was just a placeholder)

By the way, they have started implementing Caretaker stuff in the Nightly, here's more info from my update summary:

jonathonspy likes this.
  4. Ferrettomato

Ferrettomato Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm a bit late to this discussion...
    The Caretaker... It's very likely that he was left in charge of the Ark to watch over it and keep it in an acceptable state of repair. It's also very likely that he's the one who gives you the quests relevant to obtaining the Six Keys. Those are just guesses, but I think they're pretty plausible. Also, the Caretaker could potentially be a Precursor, which is very exciting.
    If you were to complete that quest line, you would discover that the bounty hunter has changed his ways and is opening a restaurant. The bag contained trash from said restaurant.
    Wow... Thanks for finding that obscure investigation. This certainly changes things.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  5. Fleetfeet

Fleetfeet Tentacle Wrangler

Preeeeeetty sure that's just what he wants you to believe. Until he has me growing grapes for him, I'm gonna assume he's murdering people.

6. Varixai

Edit: To stay on topic.. I have moved my extremely detailed bounty hunter quest line explanation to its own thread, please check it out there!

[​IMG]

[​IMG] . . [​IMG]

^ "Ancient Prop" on the left and Caretaker armor set on the right. These 2 and many other new objects are on the wiki now: Ancient Prop - Caretaker Set - Ancient Torch - Ancient Wall Light

Yes, they seem to be connected in some way. There is a new armored cultist that has a tentacle eye and tentacles that go around the chest on out the back:

[​IMG]

These cultists definitely seem tied to the lore of the tentacle monsters. Maybe they worship them?

The Caretaker set I showed actually has a back piece that hasn't been given art yet. Want to guess the placeholder images for the back and some of the other pieces that are only half finished? That same armored cultist set...

Check out the icon similarity between the Caretaker Hood and the Armored Cultist Head:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  7. dar601

dar601 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If Greenfinger is a precursor, than he must be making the genetically modified florans (possibly an army) to have an expedition into the black hole to attempt to combat the Destroyer

8. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

For some reason /spawnitem caretakerback spawns the cultist-tentacle back. Probably just a placeholder... or is it?

9. Varixai

Just a place holder, I added more about this to my post above yours and dar601's.

10. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

I'd like to point out a few things about the new armors:
    First off, the caretaker hood looks suspiciously like the hooded people running Penguin Bay and Treasured Trophies shops.

Secondly, the armored cultist set appears to confirm that the dark god the cultists worship is indeed the tentacle monster. It could even mean the armored cultist are eye-beings, though I doubt it; looks more like a visor to me.
    Also, this could mean the eye demons and the cultists are related in some way.

Finally, I'd like to point out that CF's office is located in London, yet the set name is spelt 'armorer' rather than 'armoured'.

11. BannanaManz

BannanaManz Aquatic Astronaut

So this might be a dumb theory but is it at all possible that this destroyer is something that is meant to be harvested from to get the ultimate resource. I get this idea because the biome chart shows tentacles coming before highest tier items, I may just be being silly though

12. Varixai

But the very last thing on the list is "Tentacle". Above that, all of the planets that are through the Nebula can have tentacles on them, which is specified as "tentacle sub biome".

Through the Nebula is where we get the "Ultimate Ore" for Tier 7 by the way, which has been stated as the final tier.

Here's the Biome Diagram by the way, for people who haven't seen or want a refresher: http://i.imgur.com/1sw2CQp.png
    (Original blog post with it) (The one on imgur I cropped and optimized)

13. swagnumsdaboSS

swagnumsdaboSS Void-Bound Voyager

Top lel r8/8 m8 ainsley harriot approves
    420 blze it.jpg [DOUBLEPOST=1436006702][/DOUBLEPOST]un
    unless they are illuminati

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  14. amazinghaden

amazinghaden Intergalactic Tourist

THEORY SOLVED ACCORING TO THE HOLOGRAMS the 1st one shown the creation of the universe the balance between Creation and Destruction. Second shows a picture of the "Destroyer" destroying planets. On the third one It shows the Creator pushes the destroyer into the black hole, seals it with 6 keys and on the 4th onle shows 6 people with the keys. THE END

15. NuclearPotato

NuclearPotato Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Imagine the future, there might be cutscenes and dialog.

woah

16. Varixai

Story talk in the latest stream, here: http://www.twitch.tv/chucklefishlive/b/680676045?t=22m10s

Summary:
    • The story will not be different for different races, and there is a good reason for that.
    • At the start of the game Earth is destroyed
    • You are on Earth and part of a group called the "Tourine Protectora"
    • They are a group that was founded by humans and consists of all races, and it's their job to protect the universe.
    • Then the Tourine Protectora is destroyed and you are lost in space, and the game goes from there.
    • There are "things to collect" and you have to meet with all the different races.
    • You have to look into whether there are any Tourine Protectora left, and if so where they went.
    • You have to find out who destroyed them and how you're going to deal with that threat.
    • The Novakid have a big part in the story. There is a reason they are not on any of the Ark stuff.
    • "Where the Novakid come from will be a massive part of the new plot."
    • The new story almost completely revolves around figuring out what happened to Earth and "the new Tourine Protectora".
    I will be adding this information to the wiki as it becomes more clear and we get confirmed spellings. (I will also be posting a more complete writeup of this stream's info)

Applicable summons ;) @Tiy @SamuriFerret @Ferrettomato

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
    eksynn likes this.
  17. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

Is it possible that the Novakid come from the nebula? It makes sense, because that's where new stars form.

18. Tatterdemalion

Tatterdemalion Phantasmal Quasar

I'll just compile all of my thoughts about the latest updates here. Firstly, it should be noted that nothing before they started posting these new Ark-based lore bits should be used as evidence anymore, as it appears that the vast majority of it has been at least altered, if not outright retconned.

Concerning the origin of the Novakid, it's imperative to note that while they appear on the carvings on the gates and in the ark, they don't appear in the hologram story about the tentacle monster being banished/defeated. What this leads me to believe is that they were created/born as a result of that battle, otherwise they'd either appear in all the Ark pictures or none at all.

Another interesting thing to note about the species featured in the Ark concerns the various NPC races that have emerged as canon as of late. Penguins, Space Alpacas (debatable), and Fröggs all never appear in the Ark materials. This could mean either that they are younger races that didn't emerge until after the progenitor battle, or that they are just "minor" species that were not wrapped up in all that tentacle-monster-fight business.

I have more ideas, but it's mostly heavy conjecture and not worth discussing until we have more info. I'm excited that they seem to be keeping lore in mind. The only thing I can't place is how Argarans are involved and what about them has been retconned.

Guest0241525 and The Squid like this.
  19. eksynn

eksynn Giant Laser Beams

20. Gurekie

Gurekie Void-Bound Voyager

So have we completely ruled out the Erichus Horror?
    Just curious but also,

Its an organism living in and possibly feasting on the erichus crystals which, while they are used in FTL drives, they're still not fully understood.

This organism has a single eye in the middle. It seemingly lives deep within whatever celestial object the mining facility is located on.

What if this organism is something of a sub-entity of 'The Destroyer'?

It has the giant eye, it lives inside of a celestial body, possibly slowly growing while feasting on advanced minerals until it is ready to break from its crystal shell and start eating away at the actual core of its sort of 'nest' inside the celestial entity and then promptly growing out of the planet, asteroid, moon, whatever and destroying it entirely.

And then there is the fact it takes away people, turns them into fleshy creatures. What if the Erichus Horror was a premature tentacle monster found before it had fully grown, perhaps its akin to a parasite.

The monster grows, consumes the inside of a celestial body, breaks free and mutates, infects, changes whatever is on the surface of the celestial body for its own purposes.
    Either A) these mutants become servants to the tentacle monster or,
    B ) They grow into organisms akin to the Erichus Horror, sent off to dig into another celestial body and the process starts again.

For an example, take Earth.

Parasite Tentacle Monster Larva thing goes into Earth.
    Grows.
    Breaks free to the surface.
    Destroys the inhabitants whilst infecting the populace it can catch.
    Infected Populace either A) Serve it, B ) Morph into the Tentacle Monster Larva Thing and are sent throughout the universe to continue the process.

The Squid likes this.