1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Community The Agaran Menace

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Razey, Jan 30, 2014.

?

The Agarans: Menace or Misunderstood?

1. Menace

414 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. Misunderstood

333 vote(s)
    12.4%
  3. Mushrooms

623 vote(s)
    23.2%
  4. Malevolent, Menacing, Misunderstood Mushrooms

1,319 vote(s)
    49.1%
  1. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

They were removed from the world's dungeon generation, like a lot of other minidungeons after the giraffe update. The reason for that is probably so they could be improved upon (like what is happening with most microdungeons currently). I'm expecting that the Agaran microdungeons will also return, if the microdungeons are still considered canon material.

The MechE likes this.
  2. The MechE

The MechE Existential Complex

Darn, this would tempt me to make a rant about removing stuff, but I guess I better not. Thanks for the info though.

3. Varixai

Varixai Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Good thing you didn't rant, because all they did was replace the 6 old agaran structures with 18 brand new ones.

Nothing has really been "removed". They still spawn on Forest planets, except now they have more variety.

lazarus78, The Squid and Owl_Stalker like this.
  4. 1nfinitezer0

1nfinitezer0 Cosmic Narwhal

18 new and 6 gone is still six gone. Leaving in the old versions as a separate sub biome would create more variety still through two distinct Agaran village styles. It seems wasteful to get rid of it. I'd sooner hide it as super rare than discard existing work if it wasn't violating canon, etc.

5. FireFangs

FireFangs Cosmic Narwhal

Except the old versions were bland and without any kind of furniture. It was just an empty house with breakable vases and not even a chair. Removing the old to make space for the new and improved is not a loss. Variety is nice and all but if there is too much, some will most likely never be seen.

6. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

You are crying over spilt milk. Taking steps back so that they can progress forward is standard practice. Its necessary so they can keep up an particular quality standard.

"Still six gone" well boo hop. They sucked and needed to be removes, and lucky us were replaced with more, newer, and better ones.

Type1Ninja likes this.
  7. 1nfinitezer0

1nfinitezer0 Cosmic Narwhal

Please don't patronize me. I'm aware and comfortable with the ramifications of my opinion.

8. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

I wasn't patronizing. I didn't treat you with an apparent kindness.

Type1Ninja likes this.
  9. Type1Ninja

Type1Ninja Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

This isn't on topic, but... When, exactly, did Starbound turn into Dwarf Fortress (Star Fortress? DwarfBound? StarDwarfBoundFortress?)? :rofl:

On topic...
    Here's to a continuation of Agaran Lore! Perhaps with the combat update - and procedurally generated quests - we'll get some more stuff to analyze. Someone should post in the next update thing, asking if they plan on continuing the whole Agaran Lore thing... I'll do it myself if nobody else wants to, but I might take longer, as I don't check here as often anymore.

The Squid likes this.
  10. MilkCalf

MilkCalf Supernova

Are trying to infitrate? And more importantly, are those the head's of their rivals, and are they purposely full of spores!?

Type1Ninja likes this.
  11. dspiels

dspiels Void-Bound Voyager

Is thissss thread already dead?! Nooo! The agaran menace still roam the universssse.

12. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

Good ol' Agaran Menace. Dead in the water, and even the water is still. I kinda miss this thread. I hope they bring this storyline back at some point.

so sad the 177 prophecy never came true

13. Type1Ninja

Me too. I'm still here... I don't post often. I like the way Starbound has gone - it's the antithesis to anyone who claims early access games can never get off the ground. I don't post because there's nothing to post about for me; Starbound is cool, and that seems to be just self-evident. Similarly, I also never play - I know there'll be cool new stuff soon and I'll want a new character when that happens. I'll play after 1.0. I still check back every once in a while, though, and I'll probably post more around 1.0.

So, all in all, the death of the Agaran Menace is bittersweet. Good memories, stored forever on the internet, and a good game, developing into a successful enterprise.

The Squid and Zebe like this.
  14. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

I agree. I still hang around posting because I have fanfictions and other stuff, but I don't play that much anymore like I used to. Only recently I've been trying to play the game again more often. But Agaran Menace times were the golden time of my interest in Starbound. Not even some of the more recent mysteries (such as the Ark) have made me so excited as the kind-of interactive nature of this Agaran thing.

I see you still have the link to my megapost in your sig. why am i having such nostalgic feels right now

Type1Ninja and The Squid like this.
  15. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

This thread was the whole reason I joined the forums. I first posted in this thread.

Type1Ninja and Zebe like this.
  16. Type1Ninja

I keep it in my sig because we might need it someday. :3
    And I do figure I'll play more after 1.0 just because I figure I won't need a new character every new update. :p

Zebe likes this.
  17. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Agarans should be a thing in the story, like our communication with this seemingly primitive folk is an important part of piecing things together.

18. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

I stopped posting here because CF kinda silently dropped the agarans, so we were kinda talking ourselves in circles.
    Also, I'm not sure I agree with where CF is seemingly taking the story and game in general. So I really haven't been hanging around these forums; haven't even installed the game on this computer, not sure if I will.

But I think we can all agree that the agarans could have been a main antagonist.

Zebe likes this.
  19. pop-yotheweird

pop-yotheweird Ketchup Robot

I'm sure they'll be a post-1.0 update all around the Agarans, similar to one of the beta updates that introduced them.
    not to mention, I'm not sure anyone knows exactly where they're taking the story lol. been a lot of silence regarding the subject.

20. Bonabopn

Bonabopn Fluffiest Squirrel

I'm pretty sure they've been thinking about it, and they've said the update after the imminent one will be when they implement the main story. (and then a polish patch, and then 1.0.)