The Action button and why I'm slowly dying inside.

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Zen Master, Nov 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Zen Master

Zen Master Phantasmal Quasar

Please, I'm begging you Starbound developers. If there's one thing you could give me for Christmas, nay, give the whole world is please, change the crew dismiss button to something other than the E keystroke. Make it an interface, or hold down shift and then a key I don't really care but I can't tell you how many times I've been going through crates or trying to open doors and then I dismiss my crew member and they bolt off screen and I have to chase them down and round them up again or I just strait up lose them somewhere on the planet.

WildPauline, OzonSF, Pazius and 4 others like this.
  2. NeedMorePuppies

NeedMorePuppies Space Hobo

I'm not this far in the game currently, but wow that sounds like a real pain.

I have a suggestion that could also fix your issue: if devs made keybinding support for side mouse buttons (aka Mouse3 and Mouse4) like the majority of games have nowadays, it would make general gameplay a lot more convenient. In games I usually bind the interact button to one of my side buttons, which frees up the E key for something else, while also allowing me to comfortably interact with stuff while holding the D key (moving to the right, strafing, etc)

DraikNova likes this.
  3. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

The problem is, the same button that opens chests, doors, and uses objects is the very same button that tells a crewmember to stand still.

What the OP has a problem with is sometimes you mouse over a chest to open a chest, and said crewmember steps in front of you and you end up telling them to stand still or stop following you, not sure which. I never use crew members on planet, but I could totally understand the problem.

On my ship, I have the opposite problem: I can't activate ANYTHING because the Crewmembers are always in the way. No, I DON'T want them following me around, kthx.

Oh, and.....

GET THE *BLEEEEEEEEEP* OFF THE CAPTAIN'S CHAIR!!!!!

That is SO annoying.

I wanna fly my ship to another planet..... oh, a crewmember is sitting on my chair.

Again.

The Captain's Chair needs to be made off-limits for crewmembers to interact with.

EDIT: That, or make the CONSOLE next to the window the thing that activates Navigation instead of the Chair. Or make them both capable of it.

DraikNova and Plex_Director like this.
  4. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

The ability to bind a third mouse button to "activate the first object behind the frontmost one" would solve most of this, to be honest. It'd make things so much easier. Or, for that matter, just make which crew members you have with you something you select using a tab on the side like the matter manipulator upgrade screen.

5. oinkgamer

oinkgamer Cosmic Narwhal

This issue alone is why i dont bring my crew with me anywhere i go. Pls fix devs.

6. Zen Master

Zen Master Phantasmal Quasar

even double clicking could be an option, I have a mod installed that does precisely that but boy does it have some glitches. Something similar to that without the kinks would be nice.

7. IRL

IRL Aquatic Astronaut

This is a big one. It happens EVERY DANG TIME. Like at least once per planet. I hope it gets addressed in an update.

8. Senpai Deviljo

Senpai Deviljo Cosmic Narwhal

what i do is on my ship i use the wire tool for the doors and buttons near the captain deck so i can enter it and they cant.

9. WildPauline

WildPauline Void-Bound Voyager

In general, the whole idea of one button covering all possible actions is ridiculous, no matter how many games use it. Even the village idiot can come up with more than one possible response to meeting someone, whether friend or foe.

10. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Yeah, but if you have too many buttons for too many different actions, then you get the opposite of the game being unwieldly to control.

The engine needs to intelligently detect what you are trying to do. Obviously, if you highlight a door and interact, it should toggle open/close. If you target an NPC and hit the action button, you obviously meant to talk to the NPC.

The problem arises when there is no clear rule as to which object should be interacted with when two objects are ontop of each other. That's why we need a priority rule, and we need to keep said rule consistent. Terraria also has this problem.

If an NPC is on top of the treasure chest, and you right-click (which is the same as hitting E in this game), you will get the chest's inventory window for a split second and then the NPC will initiate its dialogue.

This also happens with doors (the door slams shut and the NPC's dialogue appears) etc.

And in SB, we have a similar problem. What devs need to do is set a clear and easy to understand priority system to the interact button.

IMO, it should work like this:

World Objects>NPCs>anything else

This means that if an NPC is standing ontop of a treasure chest, your interact attempt should give you the treasure chest. Why? Becuase NPCs move around a lot, and usually have bigger hitboxes than world objects, AND it is annoying to have, say, an NPC blocking your ability to use the captain's chair for example. But, if you want an NPC, usually you just gotta wait a sec and they'll move someplace you can click on them and not get something else instead.

But we really don't need a million different buttons to do different things. That just makes the control scheme cumbersome. I like having only a few buttons that handles all the game's needs. We just need some priority rules and we need to make them clear and consistent so that we can accurately predict what our clicks/keypresses will actually do.

11. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

NPCs and World objects being interacted with using different keys means less need for the game to figure out what you wish to interact with, and more control for you, which is why I advocate for, say, the F key, to be the standard key for interacting with NPCs. As a bonus, it's close enough to the standard keys that it requires no more effort to press than the E key does now.