1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed The 24 hour bug

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by snackshack79, Feb 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snackshack79

snackshack79 Space Hobo

I am playing on a Mac using the Steam version of Starbound, but I have a friend on a PC (still the Steam version) who has the same problem.

Every so often the game will just break, and I have to delete, and reinstall everything, and of course, I have to reset my character. Needless to say, I have gotten pretty good at the admin mode commands.

Not sure if this is just a coincidence, but I have noticed that all three times it has happened I had just hit another 24 hours of playtime. I don't think I've ever had to update the game, at least not majorly, since I've only had the game since Christmas.

If I could just get a reason this happens, and possibly a way to prevent losing my data, I'll assume it will be fixed by the time the game is out of BETA.

Thanks,
    Snack

P.S. I have checked, and the world save files are always among the corrupted files, but if I you could tell me if there was a way I could save my inventory, or mission progression that would be great.

P.P.S. And don't tell me I'm the only one who has played over 72 hours in the first two months of owning the game.

2. Hey!
    Are you or your friend running any mods at all? And what happens when the game just "breaks"?

It'd be super useful to see a copy of your error log - it's a file called 'starbound.log'. Here's a video showing you how to find it on a PC:

Here's how to find the same directory on your Mac:
    • Open Finder
    • Hold CMD + Shift + G
    • Type ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Starbound/giraffe_storage

3. snackshack79

snackshack79 Space Hobo

Nope, never used any mods, yesterday was my first time on the mods page

The log is among the the things that gets reset, but here's the file, can you see anything I'm doing wrong? And yes, I haven't played for a while.

I do use LogMeIn Hamachi to play with my friend, I'm not sure if that affects anything.

a bit more detail to the crash: I will be playing, and (I think its always been while loading new planets [have I found that many corrupted chunks?]) the game will crash. I will receive the message that Starbound has quit unexpectedly. When I relaunch the game (which always takes 10 minutes for some reason) it can get to the title screen, and from there I:

Can:
    go to character select screen
    create a new character

Can't:
    open any world, even new characters created since the corruption.

When I try to open a world the game will just quit without warning.

Attached Files:

4. Thalant

Thalant Zero Gravity Genie

It's strange, it seems like your Starbound fails to locate some of the assets. An sfx (water splash) is giving constant errors but it's being replaced with another default sound to prevent crashing.
    There are also some parts where you fail to load some objects (and I'm surprised it doesn't make your client crash), like some of the objects in the floran mission:

Code:
    [11:57:04.312] Info: Generating dungeon floranmission1 (NOT FORCED)
    [11:57:04.736] Info: Placing dungeon at (0, 1200)
    [11:57:19.359] Warn: Failed to place dungeon object: plantcage3 direction: 0 position: (1102, 964)
    [11:57:19.820] Warn: Failed to place dungeon object: largewoodencrate direction: 0 position: (946, 1004)
    [11:57:20.710] Warn: Failed to place dungeon object: caveart3 direction: 0 position: (954, 1037)
    [11:57:20.950] Warn: Failed to place dungeon object: huntingpressureplate direction: 0 position: (999, 1049)
    [11:57:21.279] Warn: Failed to place dungeon object: root1 direction: 0 position: (1019, 1082)
    [11:57:21.359] Warn: Failed to place dungeon object: bonespike direction: 0 position: (569, 1091)
    [11:57:21.483] Warn: Failed to place dungeon object: root5 direction: 0 position: (1092, 1101)
    [11:57:21.537] Warn: Failed to place dungeon object: skulltorch direction: 0 position: (1229, 1101)
    [11:57:21.949] Warn: Failed to place dungeon object: barrellarge direction: 0 position: (726, 1116)
    [11:57:22.451] Warn: Failed to place dungeon object: root4 direction: 0 position: (819, 1128)
    [11:57:22.740] Warn: Failed to place dungeon object: root3 direction: 0 position: (641, 1145)
    [11:57:23.139] Warn: Failed to place dungeon object: root5 direction: 0 position: (952, 1196)
    [11:57:23.345] Warn: Failed to place dungeon object: planttorch direction: 0 position: (803, 1217)
    [11:57:23.348] Warn: Failed to place dungeon object: plantdoor1 direction: 0 position: (338, 1220)

While it has nothing do to with the 24h time, and it's not making your client crash, this is probably related to the problem.

5. snackshack79

snackshack79 Space Hobo

yes, my game doesn't load in alot of things.

the giant carved bone required for a mission never spawns in the dungeons they are supposed to. (I know where they are supposed to spawn from running through one of those temples with my friend, and he pointed it out.)

You wouldn't believe the string of errors when it fails to load an entire airship.

6. snackshack79

snackshack79 Space Hobo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.