1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback The 1.4 update should....

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by M_Sipher, Jun 19, 2017.

1. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

ALL work on Starbound is now "for free", for a very vague and inaccurate definition of "for free". The developers have repeatedly said that they aren't doing paid DLC, and will not do paid DLC, so for us players, sure, it's "for free". But the initial crowdfunding campaign was so successful that the game blew past its original goals and has the funds behind it to continue updates for years. So... not REALLY "for free" since that cache of funds pays the developers' salaries going forward.

And you seem to be under the impression that this was a list of everything that "should" be in this theoretical update. It's not. It's a list of what COULD be in this theoretical update (and could be in any update). Thus "for examples". If they only did three things out of that initial pile of stuff as an update, that'd be smurfy. If any given big new update did one or two of those on top of whatever new huge gameplay add-on they introduce, that'd be neat-o.

The idea is to put out there a large list of comparatively "small" things that could be done here and there to expand the game, and put forward the notion that a 1.X update doesn't HAVE to introduce a gigantic new branch of play, just expand the horizons of already-existing features.

2. LtBlujay

LtBlujay Void-Bound Voyager

Adding on to the idea of hiding head items:

I'd love to see vanity items that are invisible, kind of like Terraria's familiar set. Although, because of the option to run around naked in Starbound, they wouldn't look like the clothes you started with. They'd just hide anything you were wearing.

3. Quillon

Quillon Subatomic Cosmonaut

N O V A K I D T R U C K S T O P S

4. Sharp(JQ)

Sharp(JQ) Ketchup Robot

Trainstops maybe? For spacetrains.

5. 777JackOfBlades

777JackOfBlades Scruffy Nerf-Herder

6. Avito

Avito Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'm also behind these suggestions what was mentioned but I would add more interaction with crew members like getting into a hoverbike as a passenger as well as npc in the mission better intelligence a lot of things i would like to be added

7. FoxDE2

FoxDE2 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Added Fossils, like a Triceratops and more cool alien fossils. Not all fossils are bones, either. Some creatures have no bones so only leave imprints of what they looked like. So maybe you could even add a Novakid Fossil which looks like the imprint of a Novakid on a flat rock surface.

For 1.4, you should find a way that lets us keep all of our old planets, bookmarks, teleporters etc. You should also add Crystal or Diamond Planets, as such a thing does exist in our galaxy.

Added achievements. It didn't feel so great when I caught every fish (I had to make an underwater cave on a lava planet to get Magmalodon, not fun stuff,) and I didn't get an achievement. So add achievements for all of the collections maybe?

More support for increased NPCs on the screen. When you're chased in a space encounter and everything completely freezes, it just feels weird. When you lag in your own ship, it just feels weird. When you make an aquarium with at least one of every fish and the game struggles like it just ran a marathon, it just feels weird. Also more rail support, because when you put additional rail platforms on a long rail (I just made a VERY long rail which used over 300 composite rail pieces,) it just sticks together with the other rail platform or it just lags really horrendously and it doesn't feel fun going through the many tunnels I have devised for my science center.

There's also a glitch that needs to be addressed. The ship sometimes makes invincible walls which you can tinker with with the manipulator, but never breaks. I've lost access to one of the rooms in my ship because of this when a merchant tenant got frozen to a hatch. I removed the hatch, the tenant was standing on invisible, invincible blocks and was still frozen. I removed the tenant and added a new one and the problem still persists, even though my new tenant can move freely now.

Maybe new uses for Manipulator Modules, Tech Cards, and Upgrade Modules? I have around 200 Upgrade Modules, 1000 Manipulator Modules, and 4-5 hundred Tech Cards. I just accumulate them and soon I'll just have to skip them or discard them.

Food Replicator! Star Trek's Replicator allowed for them to create anything they wanted, not just decorative or functional objects. Maybe add a Food Replicator which creates any kind of food you've already unlocked in your collections, but the food itself that's created from the replicator gives you a long cooldown so you can't just replace the need for crafting food normally.

Maybe a slight revamp of fishing in general? The lurking fish tend to have an extreme overbite even if you move your lure away from them for a long ways, and this gets annoying when one spawns directly on top of a legendary fish and you can't even get away from it. Too many common fish, there's between 3-5 common fish at any given time and some spawn directly around legendary fish. Maybe try to make legendary fish so that common fish won't spawn right on top of them? It seems like it should be easy to fix, but causes huge frustration in the game (I've lost more legendary fish than I've caught, and I've caught two of each.)

It would be nice if merchants allowed for you to buy really rare legendary tier clothing sometimes, as it's really difficult when you're looking for just one very specific piece of clothing (in my case a chef's jacket,) and you finally find a piece of the clothing from that set and it's the hat and not the jacket. Maybe make it so you can only buy one of these items from the merchant, and they only offer these items once in a blue moon. So it's not all the time or forever, and adds variety to their list of wares. It'd certainly help narrow down the search for rare clothing, when so much of it exists and it sometimes feels nearly impossible to find them.

There are some monsters in the game which spawn INCREDIBLY rarely. If someone wanted to try to complete everything, it'd be impossible to find the associated figurine with these monsters. Maybe on monsters which you only find very seldom in the game, you can drastically increase their figurine drop rate? I mean I know people like a good challenge, I've caught over 15 different Shiny Pokemon and only 4 of them were random. I've got a Hyacinth Macaw in World of Warcraft and this was before Cataclysm made them easier to find (two pirate hats too.) I've found almost every pearlescent gun in the original Borderlands. I love a good rare hunt, but I actually think Starbound pushed the envelope a little too far on this and some of these figurines just seem impossible. It would be fun to be able to one day complete everything without having to have an extraordinary amount of luck on your side (I mean if I had that much luck, I'd just play the lottery, right?)

The last one is just a matter of personal preference: The orange you've provided when using the Manipulator Paint Tool feels like it's brown. Could you just add Orange and keep the current one, which I'm pretty positive is brown. Orange is a color of the rainbow so it is pretty important in the scheme of colors. It feels left out, and I want to paint my ship orange.

Lastly, I have a personal request. My Laptop gets sooooo hot when I play Starbound, it literally scalded my leg and left blisters. I have to use a cushion near the fan vent to prevent my leg from getting burned. This is because it uses a major amount of resources. Is there any way you guys could try to optimize the game so that it uses less resources? My laptop was top of the line...ten years ago. But now it's antiquated and I still really want to play Starbound, but sometimes my computer outright crashes when I play it. The screen goes black and it makes this terrible buzzing noise and I have to turn it off manually. The only game this happens with is Starbound. Never with World of Warcraft, other Steam games, or anything else. I've played some VERY resource heavy games, but they never made my computer literally crash.

Edit: Also, I think that crew members should do more in the ship. They just kind of huddle around my teleporter or my crafting tables I'm trying to get to and emoting. They don't feel very...crewy? Maybe program them to try to enter all of the other areas of the ships, try to program them to actually do stuff. The only thing they'll actually do is use the beds I've made for them, and even then, only six out of nine of them. They need to interact with stuff more and try to enter all of the parts of the ship (except the part which is blocked off by invincible, invisible blocks.) They sometimes use the vending machines I've left around for them, but it doesn't seem like they do very much. I want to see them perform functions that make it look like they're doing something important. Visual effects are half the battle, and they need to appear useful.

Also, the pet tends to just wander in front of my pilot's seat and fall asleep. It was cute at first, but now it just sometimes makes it difficult to actually go anywhere. Is there any chance you guys could make it so you could gently wake up your pet so it'll wander to somewhere else and fall to sleep?

Thank you! :)

One last idea! I thought of it and I know I heard of it somewhere, so I checked. There are planets who have oceans made entirely out of Ammonia. They're Ammonia planets. This could add a fun contrast to planets and maybe add Ammonia as a liquid. This could be somewhat more lethal than toxic liquid or toxic ocean planets. This would also allow for you to come up with 12 new fish for fishing as well, including one more Legendary Fish :)

Also, why not create a means of survivability in deep lava? It wouldn't protect you in knee-high lava, but as soon as you're submerged in lava it would kick in and protect you from lava. This would make it MUCH easier to build underwater lava caves, like this:

Starbound Lava Cave.png

Edit: I reinforced the cave because of falling meteorites and giant meteors, but they never spawned that deep into the lava. Just when I was making my tunnel to get down that far. The meteors would actually spawn IN the lava right next to the tunnel and the giant one just blew it up entirely and caused me to die. I had to rebuild the tunnel and it wasn't very fun. The reason the cave is lopsided is because one side let me place blocks further down than the other, which is the side I built first. Wasn't much I could do about it once it was completed.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2017
    Avito and STCW262 like this.
  8. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

So like a nuclear shadow?

Agreed on this. I would really like to see the upgrade modules used to replace a further 50% of the cost of space station modules, so they're not so much of a pure asteroid-mining grind anymore, and tie them in further to normal play. Maybe the tech cards could be used as an ingredient for special wiring systems. No clue what manipulator modules could be used for besides some sort of auto-miner, which, due to the necessities of chunk loading, would best be implemented in fake manner, just generating materials appropriate to the planet from nothing.

I just want tier 6 merchants to be capable of selling tier 6 racial armor, so that you can collect all functional armor in vanilla without having to use admin mode. And, speaking of, perhaps a general system to let you collect the blueprints for racial armors and clothes. There are already forges of some kind found in villages for almost all races which could have the armor blueprints as possible loot. All that needs to be added for this would be hylotl and human armor sources and tailors for the clothes' blueprint.

Agreed. Even with a mod that increases the drop chance tenfold, I haven't managed to get even half of the figurines, despite playing for about 30-40 hours.

Due to the way that tile coloring is implemented, they'd have to change about 300 or so sprite sheets for the blocks, and I think they might have to add the color to all the material files too. In addition, if I remember correctly, there's one place in the game's files where those colors are referred to with integer numbers, which would present save compatibility problems.

The best solution for this is a staff with the attraction zone special.

9. FoxDE2

I have another suggestion. You know how Avians have those little wall glyphs with the random blue images on them? And Apex have the giant Big Ape monitors which have a picture of big ape on them? Well, I've been looking for something like the giant big ape monitor with a picture of big ape, but more in tune with Avian culture. Why not create a glyph like giant monitor for Avians, possibly colored red with a yellow barrier fitting the motif of most of their technology? I'd love to have a giant monitor type object with randomly changing red images, with a black background and a yellow/gold exterior. I'd imagine it would look something like the Virtual Boy from Nintendo.

10. 777JackOfBlades

A giant display of Kluex

11. FoxDE2

Maybe it could fluctuate with different images, like the glyph? And Kluex could be one of the images.

Also, I was just thinking: Maybe the largest one can just be the imposing image of Kluex, and there can be some that are smaller that have the red images of different things that fluctuate, like the Glyph. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing two different monitors this way, one very large, one somewhat large.

I also understand they may have run out of places to put such items, so why not create an enemy (or friendly) avian ship encounter where you can use the examination tool of the Matter Manipulator to add them to your Pixel Printer?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
    777JackOfBlades likes this.
  12. 777JackOfBlades

That would be the smartest thing to do, expanding on that new system is a smart idea, I hope the upcoming bounty hunting system work with ship encounters, that would be amazing

13. BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747

BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747 Pangalactic Porcupine

I remember hoping that the collections system would add back monster scanning that gives more detail. RIP

14. 777JackOfBlades

15. 777JackOfBlades

16. FoxDE2

I think they should add a new alien people you find on certain planets, who are a Hive-Mind. A part of a collective, who all seem to have the same emotes and the same thoughts.

17. FoxDE2

Don't make them look particularly special though. Make them look like humans, and have it so if a human and this creature were side by side, they'd blend in together and even appear normal.

18. Kaldo

Kaldo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well so much for the ideas outlined in the first post lol. We get another boring gimmick, seemingly not connected to existing mechanics at all :D

I wish they reconsider their no-DLC policy. I'd rather pay for a big solid DLC that adds meaningful changes or additions to the game, which has excellent foundations for more complex gameplay, rather than wait for months for updates that will bore me hours after trying them out, as every single post-1.0 update has done. I get more enjoyment by installing a mod than by playing any of these official updates...

19. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

What would be the logic of that? Apart from there being no sense for them to look like humans, if they have a completely different behavior, they would be easy to notice in colonies without human tenants.

20. FoxDE2

The logic is you wouldn't know which of them was a hive mind and which one was a human ;) they'd be able to act normally when they wanted to.