1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Thank you for this amazing game and here is real science behind the hunt the hunt for exoplants.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Shadowtrap, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Shadowtrap

Shadowtrap Seal Broken

Hi. My name is Tonia Lee and I wanted to post this here because this game is my favorite and I wanted to share why.
    I'm an astrobiologist and I follow research of Dr. Sarah Seagars. She is at the forefront of our field and contributed an equation for how much life we could expect from the visible region of our galaxy. While this field is diverse and first and foremost a life science, we are looking at real exoplanets in habitable zones in solar systems that range from several to thousands of light years distance from our pale blue dot. This is my favorite game because I really pretend like I am going to planets like Keplar 186f. Or 22b.
    How many planets have we found?
    We have a total of 31 and only some of them are confirmed planets of habitability. As more data come through we will find that our numbers now are impressive and it's only a matter of time till we have a very substantial range of planets that probably have life on them. Even now, with her equation, we can say that even if its 10 percent of all findings, this gives us enough planets to really open our eyes to how much life is outside of our solar system.
    In time, we may find a way to contact the planets with a species very much like us.
    Chucklefish, thank you for this amazing game. Thank you so much.

2. Roubo

Roubo Big Damn Hero

I think that many of us think the same, playing Starbound :3
    Also, welcome to the forums!

jakecool19 likes this.
  3. SivCorp

SivCorp Parsec Taste Tester

Meh, starbound is just a game. So is the search for life outside our own. Both can be a waste if time.

4. thai1taxi

thai1taxi Void-Bound Voyager

You must be a blast at parties.

The | Suit and jakecool19 like this.
  5. SivCorp

Well if the party is on this planet... then yes I am.

6. Brycen

Brycen Phantasmal Quasar

Hey, if you don't have something nice to say, please don't say it.

jakecool19 likes this.
  7. SivCorp

Its not about nice, its about what my opinion is. I think the search for extraterrestrial life is a waste of time, when we don't even fully have our own planet understood.

8. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

That is some pretty interesting information drop - nice share.
    I used to be a fan of the SETI program as a kid, installed the screen saver on every computer.

I really do hope life exists on other planets, though the biggest hurdle to ever find out is first finding a practical way to travel to them.

An I shall leave with this -

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016