1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Terrarias Death, Starbounds Birth.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by TheMurumasa, Feb 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMurumasa

TheMurumasa Existential Complex

Just a quick video explaining my thoughts on what has been going on over at the terraira forums over the past few days.

2. ConsPark

ConsPark Big Damn Hero

I'm terribly sad to see Terraria ending so soon after it began. That said, I agree with what you said about getting more than your six pounds worth of gametime - that was easily among the best $10 I've ever spent. Waiting for Terraria's 1.1 update was the most excited I'd been about a game in a long time, and that was a great update to be sure.

But here we are with the announcement of Starbound. Terraria 2.0. Quite frankly, the Terraria I would liked to have seen from the beginning. By that I'm referring to the more scifi-centric setting and its promise of infinite worlds and universes plus in-built support for large-scale servers to take advantage of all of that. If Starbound can live up to even half of what the Q&A chatlogs suggest that we could see in Starbound, then we'll have one hell of a game on our hands.

Splody likes this.
  3. WelshPixie

WelshPixie Former Staff

I heard a rumour that Gaslamp Games (Dungeons of Dredmore) have expressed an interest in continuing Terraria. That could be interesting - they strike me as good peeps who are dedicated to the industry. That said, Terraria is still playable, there's still a strong modding community and I'm sure the community will continue living. Absolutely a wonderfully spent $10.

4. uigfnbxs

uigfnbxs Big Damn Hero

I've always loved Terraria. As WelshPixie said, it would be amazing to see terraia going strong with gaslamp games. DoD was an amzing game and so was Terraria. It was a little sad to see the game go after a year though, but the community will keep Terraria going strong. This game was worth $10 definatly.

photostyle likes this.
  5. Deity

Deity Title Not Found

Terraria is not dead. It is only dead in the eyes of people who say it is dead.

The QQQQ likes this.
  6. WelshPixie

WelshPixie Former Staff

7. TheMurumasa

TheMurumasa Existential Complex

They tweeted redigit offering to take over the support for terraria.
    I should have expressed my self differently, I mean to say that terraria support is dead, but the terraira community lives on.

8. JackMcDaniels

JackMcDaniels Master Chief

Someone will take over terraria, games with followings such as terraria don't just die.

Anyway, Starbound is looking to be far more interesting than terraria with a world that explains itself as you proceed, just don't over do it with the background art...Them tentacles were too much.

9. WelshPixie

WelshPixie Former Staff

Cthulhu will get you for that.

TheMurumasa likes this.
  10. Herzreh

Herzreh Void-Bound Voyager

The whole blackout is a Derp move. No one is gonna care if it goes dark. It proves nothing... people already have their money. And I think I can go a day without seeing video, that may or may not show up on my YouTube sub box anyways, or "this is my castle and Herp won't move in." posts.
    Terraria is only dead when the code that holds it together breaks with the OS that doesn't support it, which is not in the foreseeable future.

11. DarkDXZ

DarkDXZ Phantasmal Quasar

Just because the development is over, it does mean it's over forever.
    Hey, many games like...Let's say...All that non-CoD-mainstream-sh!t (not sure if that's a good example) still have extremely active communities and barely few updates were made after the games' releases.

When the sun sets on one horizon, it raises on the other...
    Terraria - you did well for these ~10 months.

Your legacy is in hands of one of your former developers, and he surely does his job well.
    Let's just hope...That Starbound will be developed for years after release.

12. Kovaelin

Kovaelin Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think that modders for Terraria will find this encouraging, in that they don't have to worry about compatibility issues anymore. Hopefully, both Terraria and Starbound will live on, whether they're carried on by the community or the devs.

photostyle likes this.
  13. BeanusMaximus

BeanusMaximus Astral Cartographer

Terraria started lagging on my computer :( Setting it back to the old colour system did help but it can still lag a little :( *cries* xD

14. Wired

Wired Big Damn Hero

Terraria will never die. The community will live on and the modders will keep modding.

Zman12380 likes this.
  15. BeanusMaximus

BeanusMaximus Astral Cartographer

And the turtles will keep turtling etc etc :D

Wired likes this.
  16. Starbound

Starbound Void-Bound Voyager

Everything eventually comes to an end :(

17. Terraria is NOT Dead. Somebody add money to the jar.

TheEnderman and xSpartanLazerx like this.
  18. Gemini

Gemini Subatomic Cosmonaut

Isn't it more like Terraria is now starting to age and Starbound is being born?

19. Rarity

Rarity Pangalactic Porcupine

If Gaslamp games takes over, it'd be wonderful. If not, I'm sure the modders will keep it refreshing.

20. qbicfeet

qbicfeet Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It looks like Starbound is what the developers wanted with Terraria. After having looked through some of the older dev blogs, I've noticed a lot of promised features that have been confirmed (in one shape or another) for Starbound.

Still, Terraria is just as dead as you want it to be. I still think it's a great game.
    To be fair though, if they did release the source code, or at least a mod API, we'd have a lot more mods than if they left it as is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.