Tenrec Awareness Day!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bonabopn, May 6, 2016.

1. Bonabopn

Bonabopn Fluffiest Squirrel

Hello people!
    I have decided to make a calendar to tell people about animals that people might not be aware of. I intend to do this once a week on fridays, but i might give up so encouragement would be nice. In this thread i intend to share a few facts and pictures of and about some of the lesser-known animals. If you know any interesting animals, feel free to talk about them and suggest more animal awareness days!

Previous days:
    Quokka Awareness Day, 6th of May 2016
    Aardwolf Awareness Day, 14th of May 2016
    Fossa Awareness Day, 20th of May 2016
    Tenrec Awareness Day, 27th of May 2016

Last edited: May 28, 2016
    Zebe, LOL BALL, Vith and 6 others like this.
  2. Bonabopn

Today is Quokka Awareness Day!

[​IMG]

The quokka is a herbivorous, nocturnal marsupial that lives on some tiny islands off the coast of western Australia. It looks a bit like a little kangaroo, and is about the size of a domestic cat. Their main diet is various grasses and leaves, but they especially like Guichenotia flowers. They can also climb small trees!
    There are very few Quokkas in the wild, partially because they are vulnerable to the predators that live on the mainland of Australia, but also because they have very small litter sizes.
    They are often unafraid of humans, and their faces look very smiley so people like to take selfies with them - however, since they are considered a vulnerable species, the authorities do not like it when people handle them.

Are you aware of quokkas?

Last edited: May 6, 2016
    LOL BALL, Vith, Jirky-Kake and 3 others like this.
  3. Humding3r

Humding3r Lucky Number 13

Yes. Yes I am.

Bonabopn likes this.
  4. adimetro11

adimetro11 Spaceman Spiff

Can we suggest an obscure animal so you don't run out of ideas? maybe in a pm.

Vith likes this.
  5. Bonabopn

You can talk about and suggest them here if you want. c:

Vith likes this.
  6. Zerukoba

Zerukoba Pangalactic Porcupine

I am assuming the favorite animals thread gave you this idea. I wasn't aware of quokka but then again my knowledge of animals that live in Australia is pretty much limited to very poisonous snakes, giant poisonous spiders, some giant crab-spider looking thing that would normally give anyone in the US a heart attack if they saw it on their wall, kangaroos and a very few other things. I am quite ignorance when it comes to Australia to be honest to myself about it. Those selfies though were good for a laugh.

Vith likes this.
  7. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Guest

This is great

Vith likes this.
  8. Firepaw Da Cat

Firepaw Da Cat The Fluffy Cat

I am now!

Vith, Bonabopn and Tekari like this.
  9. Lodish

Lodish Black Hole Surfer

I now am. Thanks Bona!

Vith likes this.
  10. Vith

Vith Cosmic Narwhal

Indubitably, they are irrefutably and undeniably adorable. :)

Bonabopn likes this.
  11. Bonabopn

Today is Aardwolf Awareness Day!

[​IMG]

The Aardwolf, not to be confused with the Aardvark, is a nocturnal, insectivorous mammal from eastern and southern parts of the african continent. It is similar to a hyena, but thinner. Its size varies between 50-80cm, which makes it bigger than a housecat but smaller than a great dane.
    Aardwolves mostly eat termites. They lick the termites up with their long, sticky tongue. They don't usually eat anything that is not a termite, so they only live where termites are available. They are not endangered despite their strict diet.
    Aardwolves are shy creatures who tend to sleep in their burrows during the day and usually live in pairs.

Are you aware of aardwolves?

Jirky-Kake, Zebe, Arra and 4 others like this.
  12. Firepaw Da Cat

Firepaw Da Cat The Fluffy Cat

Wow, that aardwolf looks really cute! And it's a pretty interesting sounding animal [​IMG]

Sgt.fox170 and Arra like this.
  13. adimetro11

adimetro11 Spaceman Spiff

The Wolf is hard

14. Bonabopn

tha's why they call em 'ardwolves.

15. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Guest

isgood

16. Kashmir

Kashmir Giant Laser Beams

Have any of you ever heard of a Coywolf?

coywolf 1.jpg

I call it a Wolf-ote. I have a pack of them living in a ravine 1/4 mile west of my house. They are a cross between a Wolf and a Coyote. They have the same sleek features of a coyote, but are much bigger, more muscular and a whole lot more fur. They make a sound that is a yap-howl, but it sounds more like a dog being ripped apart by a Sasquatch.. I know what it is, I have seen them, but I still get a chill every time I hear it. (I wish I had a recording to share with you). The Coywolf is a new breed living in the NE U.S. which makes my pack a fluke, but they are still the same cross of animals.

Bonabopn and Lodish like this.
  17. Bonabopn

Today is Fossa Awareness Day!

[​IMG]

The fossa is a brown, cat-like carnivore from Madagascar. It looks a bit like a panther, but with shorter limbs. It eats many things, mostly lemurs, but also other animals. It is the biggest carnivorous mammal known to live on Madagascar, and it is known to climb and jump between trees.
    The conservation status of the fossa is Vulnerable. The biggest threat to fossas is the destruction of their natural habitat, the rainforests, but also the dwindling lemur populations.
    The natives of Madagascar are wary of fossas because they eat buried people remains and domestic chickens. They are considered greedy and aggressive, and are believed to kidnap children who wander the forest alone.

Are you aware of fossas?

Jirky-Kake, Lodish and Firepaw Da Cat like this.
  18. Lodish

Lodish Black Hole Surfer

Are those the same as the meanies in the Madagascar movie?

19. Bonabopn

Probably! I haven't seen it.

20. Zerukoba

Zerukoba Pangalactic Porcupine

Kinda look like a mix between a otter and a large cat to me.

Arra and Bonabopn like this.