Tenant spawning

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by Lazy Joe, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Lazy Joe

Lazy Joe Scruffy Nerf-Herder

to share some of my own findings with your guys and to throw one of my own questions into the room.

ok, sofar i have figured out that to get a merchant, you need have at least 2 small crate item or 1 big crate.

to spawn a guard, i need weapon rack kind of stuff.
    and since there are only glitch, avian and floran weapon racks, i have to add furnitures from the race i want, to make sure the guard from the specific race will spawn.

and no need to say, cooking related stuff will spawn a chef.

sofar those 3 types mentioned above were the most useful tenants for me.

if added some consoles, or maybe even wire those stuff up, you can get some sort of hightech suit technician, or scientist, or a simple electrician witha safety helmet and blue jumpsuit, they will walk and turning all kind of consoles on and off.

adding some certain glitch furnitures, such as armor display, you get a king type of glitch npc, who does basically nothing but complaining about that he deserves better house than the one you give him.

artworks can spawn some "classy" npcs, which are basically npcs with wigs and in suit, they dont offer any buy/sell options.

now i have been trying to spawn novakids, with the saloon set it was possible, but i cant get a novakid merchant or guard to spawn, i assume its just like previous npc spawners, novakid didnt get the same amount of love at that time too.

are there novakid guards or merchant?

2. Best Answer
    Not currently. When Novakids get their own towns or villages and furniture you can find on planets, they will be able to spawn tenants.

Also, weapon and gun chests are going to contribute towards spawning guards in the next patch, so hopefully it will be a lot easier to recruit guards of whatever race you want.

ClericAngelBob and shardshunt like this.
  3. Lazy Joe

I love the whole thing with the colony deed, but before this update, people used to decorate their rooms with whatever they think looks good, its all mixed, now you are forced to put certain things in the room if you want a certain type of npc.
    building a new room with the desired npc isnt hard if you have access to all furnitures from the printer, but adding npcs to a ship thats already fully decorated months ago is quite some work, and if you wanna keep the old look of the room you actually have to get rid of all the unneeded furnitures so you can get the right npc, and then putting all the rest furnitures back.
    but all in all, making a own village with merchants and guards is finally possible.

looking forward for the arrival novakid gunslinger guards.

4. Varixai

Varixai Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Lazy Joe likes this.
  5. Lazy Joe

according to the wiki, to spawn a racial chef, i need 8 blocks of cooking furniture and 6 blocks of racial furnitures.

im trying to get a human chef to spawn, the cooking part is easily taken care of with an outpost cooking table.

but i just cant get only human chef to spawn, i broke the colony deed and re-placed it again and again to test it, i keep getting chef from other species too.

all i have in the room is a cooking table and some old tvs and radiators, but i can still get chefs from other race to spawn.

i mean, 6 blocks of racial furnitures, 2 tvs are more than enough to cover for that.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  6. Varixai

Varixai Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

There are some errors related to the Human Chefs right now it looks like. They require 10 blocks of racial items instead of the 6 or sometimes 8 for other races, but even if you have that it actually won't matter right now because they are the same priority as the random-race chef tenant. That is what is making it random even if you meet other criteria.

Edit: This is already fixed on the Nightly. Hopefully it will be in a hotfix.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
    Lazy Joe likes this.