1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue system requirements for OS X version confusion, legacy Starbound beta version availability?

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by riverdrake, Apr 11, 2017.

1. riverdrake

riverdrake Void-Bound Voyager

tried to play Starbound for the first time in a long time, and the app closes immediately upon opening every time. no error message of any kind. i looked around the forums, and in this thread http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/118408/ its mentioned that pre osx 10.9 users need to upgrade to 10.9 or above to stop recieving "Starbound closed unexpectedly" messages upon launching. while it isnt the exact problem i have, i am running 10.8.5, so that may be the issue.
    upgrading my OS is not an option, also, the starbound website says the requirements are 10.7.0 or later? and looking through version histories, on 11/4/'14 in Enraged Koala, starbound gained compatibility with osx 10.7+
    i have the game on Steam, so it auto-updates every time an update is released
    and, i know this computer used to be able to run starbound back in the beta though i am not sure which version it was that last worked. does anyone know if i might be able to get old Starbound beta versions? it did work once upon a time and i really want to get it working again...

2. Hel

Hel ✨ Johto's Finest ✨ Forum Moderator

Unfortunately older versions of Starbound are a thing of the past. Chucklefish have moved onward to shape the game as it is now. Theres no way to obtain a version of the game before the current version..

When you played all that time ago you never used mods at all? Could you provide a log of your most recent mishap? Just thinking there could be a chance that the current version is still compatible

3. Nexus Of Chaos

Nexus Of Chaos Parsec Taste Tester

I don't think they're getting a log...

4. Hel

Hel ✨ Johto's Finest ✨ Forum Moderator

You never know. It opens for a split second. So a log should be generated.

Iris Blanche likes this.
  5. riverdrake

riverdrake Void-Bound Voyager

update, tried to launch the executable in terminal from the app support folder and got this weird error
    "dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: ___strlcpy_chk"
    which upon a quick google or two seems to be a common error with various apps when trying to run a version of the app that is only compatible with later versions of os x, and the fix is to find an earlier version... :<

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017