1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Sudden/Random FPS drops

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by nxsnexus, Mar 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. nxsnexus

nxsnexus Space Hobo

Hello !

I finally came here to expose my issue. I've tried almost anything found on steam discussions and advice on Internet. I finally succeeded in stabilizing, for the most part, my framerate and completely remove strange tearing (diagonal tearing, or something like that).

Now, I've got some hard fps lost when playing. When I'm visiting a planet or explore caves, dungeons or anything, my fps goes from solid 60 to 20 or 14 then goes back progressively to 60. So, somethimes, on planets surface, I get killed because of that. I don't know why it does that. I expect fps loss on the outpost or in villages with a lot of npc but not during a fight on planet surface with no more that 3 opponents. It happens underground and it's not related to FX since sometimes it happens during a jump with nothing than movement for each npc and my character.

I've got a laptop on windows 10 64 bits with :
    - i7-3630QM
    - GTX 660M w/ 2GB GDDR5
    - 16 Gb DDR3 RAM
    - No SSD, only HDD
    - External Air extractor at 4500 rpm (KLIM) to avoid heat (and the temptation of cooking bacon)

I only play the stable version of Starbound (no mods), often in multiplayer but those drops also happens in singleplayer. The Steam overlay is on and nothing major runs in background. For comparison, I can play GTA V on low to medium singleplayer and online at 60 fps but also Star Wars Battlegrounds.

I hope that you'll be able to help me because I love this game so much ! And sometime, it's really frustrating to struggle playing just because of fps loss.

Thank you !

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017