1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Important Stretch Goal Thoughts -- Pets?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by mollygos, Apr 19, 2013.

?

Pets as a stretch goal?

1. Yay!

1,534 vote(s)
    64.9%
  2. Nay!

827 vote(s)
    35.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bowser7

bowser7 Industrial Terraformer

Oh dammit.Next stretch goal is going to be starter pets after all.Oh well! If you can't fight with it,live with it!
    [​IMG]
    Thats a Glitch's starting pet btw ^_^

xWild WarPig likes this.
  2. Giwtem

Giwtem Void-Bound Voyager

As much as no-one will see this at this point, I would love it if the pets were helpless at first, but if you made some item for them they could use weak attacks. As they assist in killing creatures they gain 'experience'. When their experience reaches a certain level they get stronger and possibly change appearance. A small puppy slowly changing into a badass wolfhound or a fluffy blob thing (like on the front page) growing into some sort of big fluffy blob thing. Just something to add a little cute appeal and have them be useful.

(To be honest, I'd be fine with cute, useless pets :3)

3. dhxmg

dhxmg Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well, I think we'll have to wait and see what more is revealed about it or an official statement by the devs. Then we can rejoice/hate on it.

XdamageincX likes this.
  4. Immortal

Immortal Pangalactic Porcupine

Servers need the option to disallow pets or limit them to the home-world. It's really a bad descision, those things will just constantly get in the way and destroy the sci-fi mood.

Also, please don't make them useful because then everyone will practically be forced to use them and it'll ruin the mood of the game. No matter how badass a startraveler looks, the tiny kitten just makes every character look silly.

Rainbow, HayTux, Ziiro and 5 others like this.
  5. Albus Rabbit

Albus Rabbit Subatomic Cosmonaut

I honestly think a new poll would be a bit silly.
    Yay or nay was exactly what the poll should of been since the question was "Do you think we should put this in the game." not "we have a bunch of features for a stretch goal, which would you like?".
    The only reason you want a new poll is because your opinion was in the minority do you know what that kind of makes you?
    A sore loser.

Roequ and Giwtem like this.
  6. Baleine

Baleine Big Damn Hero

Crioll, you know that a crapload of people aren't barely understanding what is a bêta, right ?
    Do you remember what happened on the open bêta weekend of Diablo 3 ? I remember cause I was trying to login too. I had so many errors that it was laughable.

Result : A crapton of angry people who read "bêta" and understood "free fully-fledged session". After that an awful lot of people complained about features that were broken and said D3 was crappy/laggy/buggy.

I really don't want the same to happen here, and that would be very ill for Chucklefish because they don't have an audience as large as Blizzard

7. Brick50

Brick50 Orbital Explorer

I really like the idea of starter pets, whether they be race specific designed by the player or whatevs!

dragtarius and XdamageincX like this.
  8. Eric

Eric Existential Complex

These guys have the worst luck with pets...

Terraria and the bunnies, starbound and these guys...

Also:
    Starter pet contest please

dragtarius likes this.
  9. Immortal

Immortal Pangalactic Porcupine

Who was the genius developer who came up with the idea to make this happen anyway? Can't they see the poll results and realize that at least a third of players do not want the pets in? So why adopt them as a stretch goal?
    Why not pick something almost everyone would be happy with? The fossils and the new race were way awesome but this is just bull.

10. bjorndadwarf

bjorndadwarf Lucky Number 13

It's a fine addition, there is a vocal, self-entitled whiny minority throwing a temper-tantrum. That is all.

11. Hey guys,

I'm sorry, I know some of you are a bit disappointed with our stretch goal decision (some more than a bit).
    However, having planned for starter pets thinking the community overall would really like them, we couldn't just make major design changes on the fly.
    Making the stretch goal $800-850k was discussed amongst the team in depth, but then we'd quickly have to come up with a new and completely amazing $1mil goal. It just wasn't feasible for us.

We launched the pre-order so that we could earn enough money to feed ourselves while working full-time on the game, thus getting the game out faster. The stretch goals are thank-yous for the crazy and unexpected amount of support we've received, but if we promise a load of code-heavy features for release, they'll delay things, which sort of defeats the purpose of the pre-order in the first place.

In the end, we had to stick with our plan. We do promise we'll make pets more than just boring vanity objects. :)

That said, I'm gonna have to lock this thread up now. It's getting pretty volatile and I think 89 pages of that is quite enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.