1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Important Stretch Goal Thoughts -- Pets?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by mollygos, Apr 19, 2013.

?

Pets as a stretch goal?

1. Yay!

1,534 vote(s)
    64.9%
  2. Nay!

827 vote(s)
    35.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Combine_Kegan

Combine_Kegan Phantasmal Quasar

Further regarding the monster breeding idea, it doesn't HAVE to be for release, fellas. It could be a post release feature

Rabite, EnlightendDead and mollygos like this.
  2. Lmaoboat

Lmaoboat Void-Bound Voyager

Pets seem like a pretty boring addition for such a large goal in of themselves, but everyone having them from the start will just make them end up like those TF2 hats that everybody has, and thus nobody wears.

3. Exi1e

Exi1e Zero Gravity Genie

Things that I can think of that would be acceptable stretch goal ideas:
    - Early alpha access.
    - Any new, well done, race.
    - the ability to build vehicles in game, block by block (And for them to be functioning. Think Garry's mod)
    - implementation of "indoor" buildings. (similar to the chucklefish home page)
    - implementation of director mode upon release.

anything else I think of, Ill add to the list.

4. PinkSide

PinkSide Space Spelunker

Pets are cool! I think that will be good satellite in singleplayer)

5. Jääkäri

Jääkäri Pangalactic Porcupine

Why not? :DD

6. Stargazer

Stargazer Existential Complex

How about you make director mode a stretch goal instead of a post-release feature?

7. icepick37

icepick37 Phantasmal Quasar

I'm pretty sure that stretch goals AREN'T what are winning people over. :p

Fossils don't really add "functionality" and neither does a new race. They just expand existing gameplay. Kind of like starter pets. :p I do see where people are coming from, though.

dragtarius likes this.
  8. Torren

Torren Ketchup Robot

What about something out of game, like a let's play video with some of the devs?

bax399 and NhunterN like this.
  9. JoshF

JoshF Void-Bound Voyager

I like the idea of having a pet, but am not sold on them being purely aesthetic. I feel they should have some minor function; Be it gathering supplies for you, carrying things, talking, holding lights... something minor that makes them worth having on the screen. Even if it isn't a practical use, it could be something like talking/barking/whatever and interacting and responding to the player.

Anyway, I am really excited for this game and glad you guys are getting so much support. Hope you all have a wonderful time!

10. I like this stretch goal but I'd like a new planet type or something as one of the goals! That seems like it'd mostly just be additional art rather than a lot of brutal code that's going to need to be tested.

TottWriter, NhunterN, Vaelium and 4 others like this.
  11. Pie4Pigs

Pie4Pigs Existential Complex

I actually think it's a bit odd that the stretch goals are getting less extravagant as more copies are sold.

I mean, first there's a very cool new race, and then there's fossils (still cool, but not really a new race or anything), and then there are aesthetic pets. Sorry if I sound like "that guy", and it sounds like I'm bitching a bit too much, but I don't know. A 1 million dollar stretch goal should outdo the 500 thousand dollar stretch goal. I still like the concept, but I'm beginning to think that the others are right. and it should be saved for a mini stretch goal.

12. Rarity

Rarity Pangalactic Porcupine

For a million dollars? I'd say Getting beta out is the best stretch goal ever. Honestly? #1 stretch goal ever would be an official beta / full release date.

13. Drakol

Drakol Space Hobo

Like the idea of Pets - but not for a stretch to 1 Million, though it is up in the air as stated in the first post. It will probably be the most likely number the Dev's go for.

14. Hollow

Hollow Phantasmal Quasar

Pets as useless, cosmetic choices: Nay.
    Pets that actually contribute something to the player: Yay.

Let the pets help alert the player to when there's treasure nearby or something. If they just act like the bunny pet in Terraria, there's not much to get excited about. Especially if you're forced to choose between a pet and a monster to bring with you.

15. Ricky Rouse

Ricky Rouse Zero Gravity Genie

Starter pets do not expand existing gameplay and thats the issue.

IT EXPLICITLY STATES they are too small and weak to stop any monsters.

Because, y'know, thats what I want to hear. My little ladybug thing will just stand there and look at me funny while I explore the galaxy and battle great dangers.

Man that 1 million was totally worth this little guy.

Garneac likes this.
  16. Patchouli

Patchouli Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Money does not make something suddenly complete itself.

dragtarius, Wolfchops, Rabite and 2 others like this.
  17. JackOfAllTrades

JackOfAllTrades Cosmic Narwhal

I wouldn't mind having some cute little fluffy thing following me around. There are some other interesting ideas in this thread though, like that "Monster Eugenics" things.

Just when I thought I couldn't love you guys more. :notworthy:

dragtarius and ErekoseDM like this.
  18. Hmm, well each race has their own noises! Or do you mean the ability to choose between different sorts of voices?
    That'd be cool, but I think people would probably find that a bit underwhelming too. :p

19. Rukral

Rukral Void-Bound Voyager

I like the idea of pets. A lot of people seem to question whether or not it is worth being a large stretch goal though. While it can remain non-combat, I would say to avoid making it non-functional. Perhaps consider some sort of benefit from having one, perhaps a positive status effect such as a morale boost from being within a certain proximity of you.

Alternatively it could on occasion, "Find" loot in the environment, low-level common supplies that could be helpful in the start but won't give too much of an advantage. Adding some form of passive progression to it could also aid players in finding it not only a helpful companion, but one they can grow attached to. It's always nice to see something grow alongside you after all.

If you decide to go the route of non-combat pets, just be sure to implement them in a way that is not overly obtrusive to players. I guess that's the most important thing, that it is not obtrusive either in the lore and setting of the game or in the mechanics of it.

Ticus likes this.
  20. FenixR

FenixR Cosmic Narwhal

But boy how does it speed things up :p

Exi1e likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.