1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Important Stretch Goal Thoughts -- Pets?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by mollygos, Apr 19, 2013.

?

Pets as a stretch goal?

1. Yay!

1,534 vote(s)
    64.9%
  2. Nay!

827 vote(s)
    35.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fantabulor

Fantabulor Phantasmal Quasar

I think it's a good idea, so long as they're optional.

Crystan likes this.
  2. Torren

Torren Ketchup Robot

What alternate options are you considering Mollygos? Also, every time I see that name I think big blue dragons.

Ticus likes this.
  3. PeteJones

PeteJones Orbital Explorer

A good idea? Sure. But for the next stretch goal? No. How about just start releasing alpha/beta builds for people who pre-order? Seriously, this would force even more pre-orders and keep the community incredibly happy.

Phoedaen and Ghoul159 like this.
  4. Malch

Malch Void-Bound Voyager

Pets that change over time (Such as a kitten into a sabre-tooth tiger) would be cool. Oh and they need to be able to wear jetpacks and laser turrets.

Make Flying Sabre-turret Mk-I a reality!

Phoedaen, Ellie, jing577 and 6 others like this.
  5. icepick37

icepick37 Phantasmal Quasar

Why the hate for starter pets? :( I'd love that.

6. FenixR

FenixR Cosmic Narwhal

Additionally, if you ever struggle for a Fourth Stretch goal, make it a community decision instead, would certainly make it interesting. You people give the choices and the community votes which one to add to the game.

Zomgmeister likes this.
  7. Wazupmaster

Wazupmaster Phantasmal Quasar

Wait, we would be able to name our pets (if you did go through with adding them), right?

8. Quilivi

Quilivi Orbital Explorer

This

9. Rarity

Rarity Pangalactic Porcupine

Make the pets have personality and give us the option to disable their personalities and I'll consider them a cool feature, despite the fact I voted Nay.

I'd like to see my pet interact with the game world in some way. If I die, I want to see my pet squeak or say something. Training my pet to speak slowly could be cool through a reward system. Seems overly complex, but in all honesty, a cute little creature to follow me around would not be nearly as cool as a new race or Fossils, and I think that's a sad thing to admit =P.

But in all honesty, I'm very much against the idea. A pet doesn't really add anything to the game. It's like the bunny from Terraria. Did anyone honestly *want* that thing? Nah, I don't think so.

Rabite and NovastarX like this.
  10. Garkarus

Garkarus Space Penguin Leader

Yea, for $1,000,000 I strongly suggest either form of Beta build (as long as it would be ready by then of course), if not, definitely Terraforming, or DNA Splicing of a sort.

Herdo likes this.
  11. Ein_the_Bard

Ein_the_Bard Subatomic Cosmonaut

Cause people feel they don't add functionality to the game, for the next stretch marker. And I have to say I agree.

Ticus likes this.
  12. MetaSieg

MetaSieg Phantasmal Quasar

If the pets are non combat then I say nay. We can tame monsters already and they can do more then just look cute. Like look cute and eat thing's faces.

Ticus, Zellman and Asrashas like this.
  13. Casm

Casm Scruffy Nerf-Herder

For starters, I'm all for the starter pet idea.

I also think if it could be managed as an exclusive to those that pre-ordered the game, that would be cool. Another way to thank the people supporting you at this stage and possibly another incentive to bring in more pre-orders.

That being said, I'll also post my idea which I've also posted in several other threads.

Broken Planet Biome:

A Biome for planets where, due to strange gravitational phenomenon, are broken up into many different floating islands. The planet itself would not have a traditional core and, if not careful, you could literally fall off the planet and die. The islands would vary in size, from small to exceptionally large. The large ones wouldn't be so massive as to warrant it being it's own planet, but definitely large enough to support a cave structure or two, or whatever sub-biomes you could come up with.

It may be asking a bit much as a stretch goal, but I think it would be insanely fun to explore those planets.

IrradiatedFish likes this.
  14. Because, if you've seen our development roadmap, we're not ready for that yet. :)

Nah, we'll never do in-game pre-order exclusives. We don't like 'em. :p

15. Ricky Rouse

Ricky Rouse Zero Gravity Genie

1 mil. needs to be something MUCH larger than tiny iddy biddy pets that do nothing.

Make it big, make it interesting, and people will be inclined to get you 1 mil. much faster than this crawl we are currently moving at.

Ticus and Drakol like this.
  16. Frost

Frost Void-Bound Voyager

Oh c'mon you guys can't leave those out! :mad:
    You could film the best western scenes.

17. Alternative suggestion: Player character voice packs?
    For grunting and jumping.

Unless we already have this and I've just never heard it in the videos.

18. Garkarus

Garkarus Space Penguin Leader

I agree wholeheartedly!

Ticus likes this.
  19. Casm

Casm Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Also, I'd like to point out, the pre-orders aren't going to be stopping anytime soon. You may want to start brainstorming for a 1,250,000 stretch goal now ;)

edited because I'm dumb and posted the wrong amount

20. FenixR

FenixR Cosmic Narwhal

Not to be a party pooper but i guess most of the community would say that you have to be a little more specific on that point :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.