1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback STOP STRIPPING OUT CONTENT WITHOUT REASON.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Tassyr, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Ludovic

Ludovic Giant Laser Beams

The thing is.... Violum Broadsword IS impervium-equivalent because it is made with Violum AND solarium. There's none after because it already is sitting at the top tier. Iirc, the only other stronger swords are the Protector's Broadsword and/or the Solus Katana.
    Also, the Violum Broadsword has a spinning jump attack(almost like a Metroid screw attack.... with a sword) that seem to be unique to it compared to other brosdswords making use of alt-attacks that can be found elsewhere. Or if the attack can be used by other broadswords, it is nonetheless a very uncommon one.

Currently Violum/aegisalt/ferozium progression tend to go like that: One weapon that is only the given ore, then another that is the ore in question PLUS solarium.

For violum it is the Violum Shortsword(purely Violum) and the Violum Broadsword.
    For Ferozium it's the Ferozium wand(purely ferozium) and the Ferozium Staff(ferozium+solarium)
    For Aegisalt it's aegisalt pistol(purely aegisalt) and then the aegisalt bow(aegisalt+solarium). Which admitedly feels odd considering it's basically merging the current top tier ranged weapon with the top tier hunting weapon but seem to (roughly) follow their logic of the T5 craftable weapon being 1handed and the T6 being 2-handed still.

2. blsims

blsims Void-Bound Voyager

I also have an issue with how the game has seemingly been gutted of content at release, and still is unbalanced.

Having been a huge fan and supporter through nearly all of its early access beta, just as most of us were, its quite saddening and quite honestly is a shameful display.

Starbound, during beta, had much more variety, more choice. Racial weapons being the most prominent. Each race had unique weapons sets for each tier, or certainly for higher tiers. Now we have no tier six craftable guns, one tier six (Violium+Solarium) sword, and likely just as many staves. 7 races with identical gear. Its quite breathtakingly diverse, right? No. its not. Its pitiful. Why not go all the way, and remove all the races except human. That way there won't be any need for more than one ship model, or different villages, merchants, etc. Just imagine how much hard drive space you could save without those assets.

Sarcasm aside, I really truthfully hope all this stuff was removed with the intention of putting it back in at someone. But as it stands now, the game has been gutted of any unique identity in terms of race, making them all this single homogenized protectorate mess.

I personally cannot fathom why tier six metals, etc. were removed.
    Why where many many many craftable furniture pieces were removed?
    Why did hammers need to be slow and useless (when previously there were enjoyable to use)?
    Why are hoverbikes and boats are useless?
    Why is the Erchius horror (tutorial boss) harder (insta-gib even in tier 6 armor) than the Ruin final boss that apparently destroyed Earth itself.
    Why create a Xenon backpack light, if its completely useless on 95% of planets, forcing you to use the EPP with a light 3 augment?
    Why were so many techs removed, only to be replaced with 12 uninteresting and (honestly) boring techs that aren't even fun to use. (4 morphballs, 4 horizontal moves, 4 vertical moves)
    Why have an instagib Erchius Ghost on every moon, whom you cannot kill or deter in any way, and serves only to pester players (ESPECIALLY survival and hardcore). JUST TO FUEL YOUR SHIP. There is a definite line between Fun and Annoyance, Challenge and Aggravation. and this crosses it by a mile.
    Why make food unstackable? I get it has a rot timer, but if it doesn't stack then fix it. A mod called Food Stack already proves its possible.

These are just a few issues off the top of my head, and I'm sure there are more.
    Starbound is a wonderful game, which -had- alot of potential. At release, its a mere shell of what it was and was expected to be. I hope that the devs are planned more additions, more fixes, and balances. And just continue the wonderful work they did all thru beta. I sincerely hope its release didn't mean the end. Cause it still needs work.

3. Ablekaine

Ablekaine Pangalactic Porcupine

Let's hope. I really miss Timmy. :nurusad:

[​IMG]

TheFloranChef likes this.
  4. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

So basically if you're using a 1H weapon, you get screwed by this lame system of only having a couple weapons per tier being available, because at the end... you stop at T5 and to get a T6 one-hander, you gotta go searching planet after planet until you FINALLY find one in a chest that doesn't suck. Unlike 2-hander users, you can't just craft a Metal+Solarium weapon for some weird reason. Oh, no, can't have you getting a T6 weapon from your crafting station, that would just break the game, right?

I've already spoken volumes on how I hate the fact that the only "good" 1h melee weapon is the Soulseeker (because of its unique swing animation not being that lame swipe that has practically no range whatsoever, or the axe's windup that you have to wait for), and now this just adds icing to the cake o' suck that 1H weapons are in SB.

Oh, and the shields... the best shield only blocks ~70 damage? lol. You get a choice of two shields the entire game long -- a 45-ish damage block or a 70-ish damage block, and every single shield in the game is one of those two shields. Until, you know, you install a mod that fixes this problem. Oh, and I notice how the one and only craftable shield happens to be the weaker one, lol.

You find a shield in the beginning of the game? 45 or 70 damage block. Find a shield on a T6 planet? 45 or 70 damage block. lol. It only looks a little different (there's like a gazillion shield skins, but they are all 1 of 2 shields stat-wise).

And what's weird is that the 45 and 70 damage block, last I checked, have the exact same recharge rate. If you're going to have 2 shields the entire game... why make one vastly inferior to the other? Shouldn't the 45 damage shield have a faster recharge to compensate?

5. LordBaconator

LordBaconator Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Oh, I'm sorry. I never got to Impervium in the beta because the game didn't have enough content with an actual goal to hold my attention so that I could grind through an extra 4 tiers of identical content. That's what the nonsense was that everyone got their panties wet over. An identical tier grind to barricade people from what exactly? A few techs?

I'm not the only person who got bored before reaching the top tiers either. That happened repeatedly in the beta. Once you unlocked equipment to deal with all the planet types you were done. The only thing you had left to do was build.

Noir Korrane likes this.
  6. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Beta was... well, Beta.

But you just admitted that the game was lacking in content... so they... removed content. lol?

Does that make sense to you?

They removed an entire tier of materials from a game that was already lacking in things to do, they removed a whole tier of furniture and put the furniture in RNG reward bags from tenant quests (which pretty much guarantees that you'll never see the exact piece(s) you wanted without a mod), because... you know, let's replace crafted aesthetics with RNG to make people grind out the same 5 quests over and over again until you finally get the thing you wanted? (BTW, I've done probably 200 of these quests total over 3 or so playthroughs... I saw exactly 1 said piece of furniture, lol).

Yeah, I get that in Beta there wasn't much to do after Impervium... but the point still stands... why remove it entirely? Was there a reason it had to be removed? Why not leave the weapons, the last metals, and the furniture in the game so that people have choices as to what they want to use at each tier?

I really don't understand why we had to remove Racial Weapons. As for the furniture.... are they really telling me they could not think of anything else to use as rewards for tenant quests? There are modders everywhere putting out more furniture... they can't ask modders for permission to implement some of it in the main game or design stuff that looks similar? *shrugs* I'm sure they could have done something that didn't involve removing content from players in a game that was already lacking content to begin with.

And to make it clear, I am not berating SB for lack of content. It's 1.0.5, barely a month old. What I AM against, though, is removing what was already there that had no reason to be removed.

EDIT: When I think about it, I can only presume that the reason for the change was because of the migration to activeitem, they didn't want to convert all of those weapons to the new activeitem style. I could be wrong about this, but if that is the reason, then I am even more disappointed because that sounds more like laziness, rather than an actual game design reason those items needed or should have been removed, especially since you can easily copy/paste since all of the weapons for each race were the same 'cept for the sprites.

But I suppose, we modders have to fix that too (there's already a mod that brings them back). Still, though, I prefer to keep my mod list as light as possible.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    Pingeh likes this.
  7. LordBaconator

They removed it because it was repetitive duplicate content. The sprites changed and the numbers got bigger? Who cares?

They removed all of the extra cruft of the game in favour of making the available weapons more well-refined, reliable, and accessible to people. It was all "extra content" in the same way that releasing "Hard Mode" for a raid in an MMO is "extra content." While I won't deny that there should be more weapon variety and things like racial weapons need to come back, at least in spirit, I feel like the decisions they made to redo it all and cap it off at tier 6 left the game with a much better base to build off of for all future content. What we lose now we gain back with more interesting future content.

Also a lot of the unique weapons they added available in tier 6 are pretty cool. That's another thing people have to remember. This is an exploration game. They have to balance it around adding incentives to explore or there is literally no point to the game. Previously you could beat the entire game by just going to a planet, digging down, mining a bunch of ore, killing a boss, and then repeating that 10 times the same way. Now if you want to find the coolest stuff you actually have to go out and find it. The only thing handed to you is the most basic and reliable equipment.

8. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Then why have newer tier weapons at all, and just base all damage on armor? lol.

Accessible to some people, you mean. That's my problem with this design decision -- it unfairly punishes certain weapon users because of weapons being unavailable at certain tiers. Again, for example, broadsword users get the shaft at the Tungsten Tier. There's no reason there couldn't have been a Tungsten Broadsword.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing against the combination of T8-10 into T6 and T5-7 into T5. I'm arguing against their change from Glad Giraffe, where we had each weapon type available every tier for crafting. That way, nobody got unfairly punished, and each race had their own unique weapon sprites. We still had T1-T4 and then the 3-way split at T5-6, yadda yadda yadda.

Nothing saying we can't have still have that stuff AND have craftable weapons every tier, lol. Why is it that you think the unique weapons somehow prevent a Violium+Solarium Shortsword from existing? lol? That doesn't even make sense.

Sylxeria likes this.
  9. Lintton

Lintton Guest

I got my T6 spear just fine even without crafting, it took some searching but c'est la vie. It isn't a laser spear that I got at the beginning of the tier but it definitely makes just about everything die.

What were the USCM bunkers originally? mostly squared affairs with that arcade and interragation room that would regularly pop up underground. I would love to see what CF would do with it now on Tiled.

10. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

There used to be entire large underground complexes of USCM Bunkers, but that dungeon was entirely removed for.......what reason, again? Who knows.

Now, the only two "Earth" dungeons are USCM Penal Colonies (somehow those still exist) and the "camp" that has a bunch of tents and RVs (how'd they get the RVs there without a spaceship of some sort?).

11. LordBaconator

Because none of what you are actually saying is saying that you want those specific weapons back. You're talking about a bunch of extra stuff just like everyone else on your side of the argument.

Of course those weapons should be craftable. It's doesn't make an enormous amount of sense to not have them in and frustrates a reasonable number of people.

Regardless, I don't think it's fair for dozens of people to blow everything out of proportion and talk about a bunch of stuff that was removed just because they can't craft the one specific weapon they want, mostly at a tier that doesn't even matter. All the weapon types should be available at tier 6 but beyond that you'll blow through most of them in a few hours anyway. I reached Durasteel tier and wanted to craft a Dagger. Sure, I was disappointed when I couldn't make a Durasteel one. I crafted a Titanium one instead. That dagger was completely relevant all the way up until the final mission when I finally got a better one as a drop.

Noir Korrane and Ablekaine like this.
  12. Ablekaine

Ablekaine Pangalactic Porcupine

He's right you know-in fact I don't use most of the crafted stuff anyway, I use the legendary uniques I find, my main has the Variable Crossbow from the vendor, the Tesla's Wrath I found, and I'm currently on the hunt for magnorbs. And most of my alts use procedurally generated weapons just for the special status effects and attacks. I miss the removed weapons for the style, nothing more. And that's just cause I'm a big roleplay nerd, I wanted my hylotl to have katanas, glitch to have axes, etcetera...I'll live. :happylittletrees:

13. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

What? lol. This makes no sense whatsoever.

Of course I want those weapons back, because you know, there are times that RNG runs dry for you and I'd love to have all of my choices available to me, like I had before. Okay, so I'm a broadsword user primarily... but who knows, I might venture into shortswords, or maybe even run around with a pair of daggers. Who knows. I might have tried it one day, if they were actually available.

Then why the *bleeeep* are you arguing with me about it? You're agreeing with what I'm saying and then you're trying to argue with me at the same time.

Yathink? No offense, but that's like saying the sky is blue.

It matters, at that tier.

This current playthrough of mine? I decided to grind up a T8 ship because I wanted a nice big ship early in progression. This meant that I had to use a T1 RNG sword, because there are no craftable T2 broadswords. And no, despite scouring 10+ forest and desert planets for Upgrade Modules to do this, I didn't find a single RNG T2 Broadsword. That's why I want the crafting option to be there -- I can use a crafted one until or unless an RNG one happens. But sometimes an RNG one DOESN'T happen.

"Relevant".... if you like doing crap damage, lol. I, personally, don't.

I like my equipment to be up-to-date. If I have access to Tungsten, or Durasteel.....I don't want to be forced into using Iron or Titanium weapons. I learned how to make this new awesome metal..... but somehow I fail to think of some way to make a better weapon out of it? I can make a Tungsten Shortsword...but NOT a Tungsten Broadsword out of it? Do you realize how ridiculous that is? I can make a Durasteel Sword.....but not a Durasteel Dagger? lol?

So you have awesome luck at RNG and finding weapons that don't suck.

I dunno about you, but with me... Pre-T4, I might find a boomerang or a chakram and that's it. Maybe a leather whip. woo.

And you know, playstyle. Maybe not everybody plays the game the same way you do?

It'd be nice to have the crafted stuff there for those times the RNG really hates you.

Yeah, sometimes I use RNG weapons myself...... you know, when they actually drop. I can go through several planets of a tier and not find the kind of weapon I want. Let's say, broadsword. I might find like 10 axes, 3 hammers, 5 daggers and 2 spears..... but no broadswords. It's frustrating.

Back in Glad, I would have had at least a craftable of that tier to use instead.

14. MrVauxs

MrVauxs Giant Laser Beams

but.. but...
    Przechwytywanie.PNG
    Przechwytywanie2.PNG

15. Tassyr

Tassyr Subatomic Cosmonaut

16. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I'm not even understanding what @MrVauxs was even trying to say with those two pics.

@Tassyr To be fair, I kinda agree with what they did with combining Aegisalt/Violium/Ferozium together and then making those upgradeable with Solarium, I just think they should have kept Impervium and the other 2 Metals instead of making it that you combine it with Solarium. *shrugs*

The 3 Path thing gives a player more choice in what type of playstyle they wish to use, whereas in Koala days with the T10 system, everybody had the same armor and used the same weapons. Now you got 3 choices. It's kinda a 'meh' choice, but it's a choice nevertheless.

17. Tassyr

Tassyr Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'm going to be honest, I have no problem with them going three-path. That wasn't the problem. What my problem is is- if I want to be an assault rifle or sniper toting soldier-y type? I can't. Beacuse I'm not novakid. There is literally ONE craftable assault rifle at lvl 4. That's it. That's all there is, there ain't no more. None before, none after. And it's not craftable for MOST RACES. Basically unless we hunt down a drop AND get a good one- which is virtually impossible- you can't have weapons you want.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  18. LaughingAlex

LaughingAlex Ketchup Robot

I will say I wouldn't know what content was removed then if everyone always used the exact same thing only with higher numbers. In my experience in games, I tend to enjoy them less when the focus is more on what I like to call "Munchkin power levels". In munchkin power levels, you generally see ever increasing numbers. Higher damage, higher health, higher armor ratings ect. But does anything change? Nope, nadda. Same same samey, just higher numbers. It doesn't really help a game, in fact it's the kind of power creep which usually bothers me. When the game is still "jump and dodge and shoot" without anything like "use a stun grenade" or "Put up a temporary defensive barrier here" or "Use temp invuln to survive impossible attack" ect there isn't any more strategy past it. I guess I'll use an analogy for progression and design from my favorite game: Deus Ex.

In deus ex, you have EVERY tool the game has to offer abou 1/3rd the way into the game. You could have picked up a sniper rifle, gep gun, assault rifle, ballistic protection augment, cloaking/radar transparancy ect. So past that point, your forced to figure out how to USE the tools you chose to make it through the game. The game got harder and harder past that point, you didn't get any new tools. Instead it forced you to plan, change tactics periodically, look for new passages ect. This kind of game ultimately makes a better player in the end without obsoleting anything ever acquired in the game; even the original pistol and electric prod you start with can see a lot of use(even to a point of near exclusivity if your into challenging yourself) to the bitter end of it.

Merely upping the numbers doesn't really add to a game. If anything it can subtract from one when players realise the game is only tricking that part of the brain saying your getting rewarded forcing you to keep playing when your no longer having fun.

In other words, merely increasing numbers doesn't really count as proper content. Items/equipment with a variety of effects like a stun, or temp defense shields ect count :).

19. MidniteSteve

MidniteSteve Phantasmal Quasar

Why is everyone crying that they "can't" use a rifle/spear/dagger at certain tiers? You can in fact use one, or multiples that you find on planets, you just can't craft them. It would be nice to be able to, but Who really needs to craft them? My current strongest weapons are a t7 assault rifle I found on a scorched, the prot sword and the Dragon pistol (still farming for that dual wield dream). None of the above are crafted. Sure there's no rifle at t2 that you can craft, or sword at T(enter number here) that you can craft. Both of these and more can be obtained if you just take some of this time spent whining and look for them.
    This just seems like a pointless argument..

D.M.G. likes this.
  20. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

RNG.

I don't feel like using outdated weapons because of the game's RNG not wanting to spit a weapon-type out that I actually want. It was nice having at least craftable melee weapons every tier which were just a slice weaker than green+ RNG weapons (and same strength as the whites) for those times when the RNG says "You ain't getting no ____ this tier!"

And again, it's not like I'm asking them to make new stuff..... I'm disappointed they removed stuff we already had.