1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback STOP STRIPPING OUT CONTENT WITHOUT REASON.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Tassyr, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Tassyr

Tassyr Subatomic Cosmonaut

So I just started poking around and had a horrible realization.

You can't make any guns past 'durasteel' any more, and then only if you're a Novakid.

What the hell, guys? I mean, I get it, this is a medieval game without any sci-fi angles, where ranged weapons don't belong, but- oh wait, no, it's not. Huh. It's a sci-fi game where energy weapons and such are commonplace among your enemies. Odd.

Seriously, are there plans to put some sort of ranged weapon like that BACK in, or did we ranged players get the shaft? Again?

(also, while I'm being frustrated- CAN I PLEASE have the 'weapon DPS' tab back? Telling me how fast a weapon fires doesn't help if I don't also have any way of telling what that number means.)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  2. LordBaconator

LordBaconator Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You're complaining as if only ranged combat users get shafted. All 3 of the combat styles have equivalent available recipes for tier 5 and 6 weaponry. You can make 1 handed weapons (aegisalt pistol, violium shortsword, ferozium wand), or you can make 2 handed weapons (Aegisalt Bow, Violium Broadsword, Ferozium Staff).

Previously all of the stuff that was craftable at the top tiers had completely random modifiers. They changed it so that you can always get a dead-simple, reliable top end weapon that's identical for everyone. From a gameplay and looting perspective making crafted weapons all have identical stats makes perfect sense.

There is still room for expanding the top tier of weaponry to include things like Daggers and Assault Rifles, but people are blowing the changes they made way the hell out of proportion.

It should also be noted that all top end crafted weapons now have unique attacks, designs, and animations. You won't find any other weapons like them in the game.

3. Tassyr

I have no problem with the top tiers having identical modifiers. That makes sense. That I support. Unfortunately, they've been removed, not balanced.
    That's like saying "Your legs are of uneven lengths. Let's chop them off to make them even. You won't have them and therefore the problem is gone!"

And all three combat styles have it, sure- if you want to use a dinky little pistol, as opposed to say, oh. An assault rifle, sniper rifle, shotgun, rocket, grenade... you see what's missing? The sword guys lost one weapon (two-handed swords) and the wand guys... lost nothing, I think. I admit I didn't play wands.

I just don't get why yanking out something like 90% of the craftable weapons is balanced.

4. KingTomato

KingTomato Jackpot!

why are you bothered that novakid dont get guns past durasteel. when there is the aegisalt pistol which i believe is for all races :p

5. Tassyr

... Well, partially because I enjoyed playing as a rifle-toting char and that's effectively neutered by the fact that I have to find random rifles in chests and stuff now, instead of just making one?

6. KingTomato

KingTomato Jackpot!

ah, now i feel you. i wasnt really THAT much into ranged weapons. but now i noticed that they dont have an aegisalt rifle. Which is very dissapointing. But i am definetly a broadsword type of guy. :p

7. Tassyr

It's not even just the assault rifle. The sniper rifle, gone. Shotgun, gone. Unless you wanna dink around with a pistol, you got hosed. And that's a pistol with a range of like, ten meters ingame, total. I've tested that thing out and unless you're close enough to get two shots in before an enemy smashes your head in, you're up a creek. :(

8. KingTomato

KingTomato Jackpot!

the sniper rifle definetly would have had amazing potential if the aegi-pistol has a constant laser

9. LordBaconator

LordBaconator Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I won't deny that the available weapons for ranged characters is obnoxiously limited. I just had to validate the actual reason why it's so limited in the first place because it seems like people just get all salty and don't really open their eyes to it.

The Aegisalt Pistol needs more stopping power, OR the 1 handed weapons need upgrade crafting recipes to boost them from blue tier 5 items to purple tier 6 items at similar cost to making the 2 handed weapons.

There needs to be a full set of Aegisalt weaponry. Perhaps they avoided doing this for the simply because they wanted to make having access to craftable guns primarily unique to Novakid? Regardless it's very limiting. At least the Aegisalt bow is absolutely fucking fantastic when used well.

There need to be Violium Spears, Daggers, and Hammers. I feel like part of the reason they avoided adding these is because each Violium weapon has a completely unique set of animation properties and there are several animations involved in making the blade for each one. They probably didn't add the ones they felt would be least popular.

At the end of the day magic users get shafted because there just isn't a lot of space to make crafting more unique abilities onto staves or wands. A lot of the elemental specifics and random abilities need to remain as loot-only because Starbound is a game built around exploration and those systems are designed to incentivize exploration.

10. KingTomato

KingTomato Jackpot!

I agree so much. Even though i prefer the Solus Katana, i'd definetly love to see more stuff other than a babby simple pistol.

11. [curly] servo

[curly] servo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

honestly, they took out a pile of stuff. weapons, armors, even head options were cut down for some reason. i hope they're planning on cramming those back in, but they don't seem all that forthcoming with details anymore.

12. Ablekaine

Ablekaine Pangalactic Porcupine

I also want the weapons back, just for how awesome they looked. I honestly don't care about the damage stats much, I just liked each race having weapons at each tier specifically styled to them, and can't fathom why they were removed. :nurusad:

Sh4dowWalker96 likes this.
  13. Tassyr

... Oh I really hope no one's thinking "DLC."

14. Mythril-Jelly

Mythril-Jelly Scruffy Nerf-Herder

USCM rifles, Avian blasters, and even prison chairs were neat weapons I'd love to see return... Seems out of character for all the guards to be decked out in weapons that don't match their style or culture anymore.

And Serpent droids. It'd be cool if they returned and dropped their laser as a pistol. And were capturable.

Ablekaine likes this.
  15. Oberic

Oberic Spaceman Spiff

It shouldn't be very difficult for a modder to put them back in.
    The damage numbers for all of the removed weapons were already adjusted to the 1.0 damage model anyway, so we just need to make sure the files are in place, and turn the recipes on with a .patch.
    And of course make sure the 2-handers all have special attacks, not sure if they had those prior to their removal.

16. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

The fact is, there a new thing ingame

You're a member of the Protectorate, and so, you've learned to craft protectorate weapons
    Now, while I do would like the racial weapons back, I think it should be found only with merchants
    Let's say, a human merchant of high tier would have chance to sell you the Alienbane, and once you got it, you'd be able to make it

17. Tassyr

Shouldn't I be able to craft -protectorate- weapons, then? =P

18. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

That's what you're crafting already

By the way, the reason why it only apply to weapons, and not armors, lore wise, is that each racial armor set is developped to suit perfectly those said races, while a sword can be used by everyone
    However, with that, the melee weapons restriction of the novakids is quite absurd

19. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Wrong.

An Impervium Broadsword always had the same stats, no matter how many times you crafted it. And all races' Impervium Broadswords were identical stat-wise (they had their own skins at least).

See, the thing about 1.0, is that they removed choices from us and I would have to say that I am 100% against their design decision to remove half of our weapon choice. We used to have a choice of 1 of every weapon type each tier, now it is every-other-tier.

I can make an Iron Broadsword.....and if I want another Broadsword, I have to wait until Titanium to get another crafted one.

Before, I got one at Iron, one at Steel (now Tungsten), and one at Titanium. There was really no reason to remove the Steel Broadsword whatsoever.

And now, all Iron Broadswords are exactly the same..... each race at least had their own weapons, but now they don't. They outright removed these weapons, for no real reason. It gave the races more flavor, but now all the races are exactly the same except for ship and armor, and even then, since you start with a protectorate uniform, I bet a lot of people simply leave that on, because most T1 armors are "meh".

Really, dude? We have a choice of two......two..... melee weapons per tier and your choice weapon is available only every-other-tier. This means that you are going to have to use wimpy weapons on higher level planets until you get lucky and find that exact weapon type that's better than what you have (good luck with that).

Do you like axes? Well, have fun selling all of those shortswords, daggers, spears, hammers, etc that you find until you finally get one off of a planet. By the time you do you might already be getting close to the next tier, etc after having to slog through the whole tier with an outdated weapon because for some weird reason, they removed half of all the craftable weapons.

Odd, I don't remember my Violium Broadsword having a "unique attack" or animation? It looked just like any other broadsword and functioned pretty much the same?

Oh, and there's no craftable Broadsword after Violium either. Violium isn't Top-Tier....... Violium+Solarium (formerly Impervium) is.

BTW, why did they remove Impervium (and the other two similar metals), again? Was there a reason they had to do that?

The game was lean on content to begin with, and they removed all the furniture Durasteel+ makes (well, ok ok, you can get them as quest rewards from tenants at a ridiculously rare rate with no choice as to which furniture of which metal you get, LOL), and they removed the T6 metals.... yes, it makes so much sense removing content in a game that was already rather light on content to begin with.

Okay, if you say so......

20. Lintton

Lintton Guest

I noticed a lack of laser spears. It's my guess that they are going to be brought in in a future update, as the missing items seem too specific to be intentional.

Ablekaine likes this.