1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Stephan's Familiar Monster Parts [Deleted]

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by stephanreiken, Feb 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stephanreiken

stephanreiken Pangalactic Porcupine

stephanreiken submitted a new mod:

Stephan's Familiar Monster Parts - Monster parts from games you know!

Read more about this mod...

2. stephanreiken

Currently there are 8 heads and 5 tails constructed from EVO: Search for Eden graphics. I could easily have included every head derivative which would have made it probably more than 30 heads, but I didn't want EVO parts to dominate. So I just included one copy of each part (one horn for one head, one backhead for one head.). Still have to get graphics from the reptile and mammal Eras, but I'm probably going to start working on other games first.

3. Sartorius

Sartorius Subatomic Cosmonaut

I remember the translation of EVO being pretty atrocious.

4. apotheoseGrifter

apotheoseGrifter Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hm... I've never played EVO, though I've heard of it and liked the concept. I feel bad considering this is the second mod I've made this nitpick about today, but, while the designs look nice and different, I kind of feel they don't quite fit in, aesthetically? The large eyes are a bit distracting, but mostly I think it's the harshthieves, t black outlines. Comparing that monster just to the birds up near the top, it looks very different-- the outlines are colored instead of black, shading is much less overt (you could even call it flat), etc. etc. Did you rip it directly from EVO, or just based it on the graphics? Of course, aside from those stylistic quibbles I see no reason not to add all the parts you want.

5. stephanreiken

I ripped graphics out of Evo and modified them. Some a little, some heavily. The tails all had to take some large modifications since no matter what you do a leg or fin is in front of the tail in every case.

I got rid of as many black lines as I could. I realized that black outlines are absent for the most part in starbound, but starbound lacks a sufficent color table for me to avoid it. If I had just one more shade of the color that changes based on seed I could avoid the black lines.

I'm not sure how the shading is flat. if anything the shading in evo parts is more important to the parts providing visible details that would otherwise be gone.

But minor stylistic flaws are to be expected, something perhaps an artist could correct while not losing the look from the game. I am not an artist, but I do fiddle around with pixel art modifications which is what I am doing here. :) .

And you know, large eyes are not absent in Starbound. Plenty of eyes in vannila not unlike what is shown in these parts, and bigger.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  6. apotheoseGrifter

apotheoseGrifter Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Actually, I meant that the shading in Starbound is flatter, not the shading in your EVO sprites. I've noticed that Starbound tends to avoid complex shading-- in fact, I've seen times when only the main color and one darker color is used, and diffusion is nearly nonexistent. I'll give you the large eyes; although, of your examples, two are entirely made of eyes and don't really count. :p

If I could offer a bit of advice-- this is going to sound odd, but I recommend looking up one of my favorite spriting tutorials: http://www.dragonflycave.com/recoloring.aspx. Specifically, I'd recommend the section on revamping. Pokemon sprites are very, very different from Starbound sprites in almost every possible way, but this tutorial's explanation of stylistic differences between sprites and how to reconcile them is pretty useful in general. It's not perfectly applicable, since it's about trying to change the style of a sprite to that of another sprite entirely rather than "blending" them, but it might come in handy.

7. stephanreiken

8. stephanreiken

I think that turned out well trying to follow starbound shading more closely. Might go back and re-shade the EVO parts.

Tell me if you think any part is too jarring for any reason. I think that the koopa head might fit the small biped better, but having the small head is also amusing.

9. stephanreiken

10. Dataspell

Dataspell Void-Bound Voyager

having an error with it, its saying one of the parts is duplicated?

11. stephanreiken

stephanreiken updated Stephan's Familiar Monster Parts with a new update entry:

Bugfix!

Read the rest of this update entry...

12. Holgast

Holgast Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'd like to see a separate mod with as many EVO parts as you can muster.

13. stephanreiken

I could probably pull that up as a side project. Putting together every possible evo part would overwhelm the normal parts in starbound which is why I don't want them all in this pack.

14. stephanreiken

15. Holgast

Holgast Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Chrono Trigger and better EVO? This keeps getting better.

16. Real_Masloff

Real_Masloff Orbital Explorer

17. stephanreiken

I'm going to try to get some more done today.

However, I won't normally look through and use Custom Sprites. Independent artists like that tend to be more sensitive to the usage of their art whereas big names and official art don't mind fan works.

18. Real_Masloff

Real_Masloff Orbital Explorer

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  19. stephanreiken

20. Galacticruler

Galacticruler Scruffy Nerf-Herder

So...is this up to date with Enraged?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.