1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Server Discussion Starting Multiplayer Server

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Justown, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Justown

Justown Big Damn Hero

Just some tips for starting your own server

First things first before we kick anything off you need to prepare.

within your Starbound assets folder you will need to locate Default_Configuration.cfg
    Open this in notepad and make some changes.

At the first part you may notice it utilises port 21025 but if you scroll through this config file further you will locate server passwords.

first field is left blank and may look something like Serverpasswords: [ "" , "duckey" , "swordfish" ,
    this means that a blank password along with duckey and swordfish are valid passwords to access your servers, seems Starbound devs set 2 default passwords, I would suggest modifying all three fields so no randoms can access your server with the default passwords.

So you may be left with something looking like this Serverpasswords: [ "password1" , "password2" , "password3" ,

there is also an option to allow admincommands: which by default is set to false. atm there is no point changing this as there is no resources available on how to function these commands. but later down the track when these resources are made available, you can set this value to TRUE.

there are a few more variables you can mess around with if you like, but if you do be sure to save the default config as a backup somewhere safe in case you need to revert back any changes you make.

Once the config file has been saved you want to access your router or switch to enable port forwarding and open a port.

In my case of my Net gear Router I had to enable port trigger for 21025 then enable port forwarding

for this one the machine HOSTING the server you want to open Command Prompt and type in IPCONFIG /ALL

this will provide you with the machine IPV4 Address, I would suggest setting up a static IP so you do not have to manually update this when you machine obtains a new IP lease.

Once you have this Address you want to forward port 21025 to that IP Address on your router.

Finally you want to boot up the server via either the launch splash screen or manually from the Starbound folder by running Starbound_Server.exe in either your win32 or linux directory.

locate your external facing IP by using whatismyipaddress.com this address is what your friends use to connect to your server.

As you are internal to the network you will be connecting using 'localhost' or you can just use your local ip which you obtained before from command prompt.

Note: there are some issues with saving when closing down the server. I found that as long as you close and save the starbound client, wait 10minutes then terminate the server console you do not lose any progress.

Then lastly grab some friends to join you, or if your lonely and have no friend use this amazing website to post a forum to find some :D

Happy Hunting and much love.
    -Justown

P.S if anyone does locate any administrator server commands post them here and i will add them to this post. :)

Hey Jacob and RodrigoKiller like this.