1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED StarReader: Starbound Web-Based Player Save File Editor

Discussion in 'Other' started by Gear, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Jessen

Jessen Scruffy Nerf-Herder

hey gear, is there any possibility of getting a non website version up sometime soon? It would probably help those of us who are actually traveling. It might also be a good idea to work with Phaze to implement his features into a single page/program.

2. Sophiera

Sophiera Subatomic Cosmonaut

Eeer how do i know what words to type in for the item I want?

3. ArdianPika123123

ArdianPika123123 Space Spelunker

Hey,i just make a new player i used this 4 times,it worked but when i use it for the 5th time i replaced it from the old .player file, my player is not on the list of the game's player selection.WHYY!!!!! can you help me to fix it?

4. GuardianTempest

GuardianTempest Void-Bound Voyager

Use this as reference.

So uh, you updatin' this to Angry koala, right?

5. Locketh

Locketh Space Hobo

Yes, please update the program to v.Angry as soon as possible.
    You've done a great job, Gear. Thank you.

EDIT: Added coal to a char using the v.Offended StarReader, worked just fine.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  6. Soullesswaffle

Soullesswaffle Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Any idea where the 3D printer data is stored? I'm hoping to start a new character for v. Angry Koala but I have scanned a ton of stuff that I really don't want to lose.

7. NolanSyKinsley

NolanSyKinsley Void-Bound Voyager

Player data is not getting wiped, ships and worlds are, but player inventory and scanned 3D printer items are saved.

And guys, I am not sure it NEEDS updating. I used an angry koala player file and everything worked fine!

(PS. I don't know what the rules are here, but in most game forums it is against the rules or at least very highly frowned upon to ask for updates. The update has not even been out a day, and you have not even checked to see if it NEEDS updating. Give the mod devs some time to work in peace, and check to see if it is actually broken before asking for a fix.)

8. Soullesswaffle

Soullesswaffle Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Good to hear.

Not sure if this is directed at me or not.
    In case it is, I would like to clarify that I wasn't asking for updates to Starreader or Starbound; I was (and still am) merely asking where 3D printer data is saved.

9. Zavod101

Zavod101 Phantasmal Quasar

are you still working on this?

10. CourierBlues

CourierBlues Master Chief

Guys. stop being impatient.

Soullesswaffle likes this.
  11. Shikyu

Shikyu Orbital Explorer

Not sure if this is just happening to me or if this is a problem with how the save file works. Whenever I go to edit the character's "description", if it's not EXACTLY the same length (inclduing spaces) as the original description, "This guy seems to have nothing to say for himself," the character either won't appear or my game will just not work at all. It can't be even ONE character or space shorter OR longer. Is there a second file other than the .player file that I'm supposed to modify?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  12. CourierBlues

It's because it hasnt been updated, which I wouldnt expect until after christmas. So stick around until then.

13. mrsinister42

mrsinister42 Orbital Explorer

I believe the character disappearing thing is because the character datafile size is over 28-30kb, to reduce the size of your characters save file, make a base on your home world to store your stuff, which would be saved to that planet file instead of your character player file.

14. Shikyu

Shikyu Orbital Explorer

My Character size is 50kb and nothing's wrong with it so I don't know what you're talking about. It only disappears if the character description is shorter, not longer.

15. CourierBlues

Just incase you either blew off or didn't listen to what I said, anything changed with the editor as of right now, until it is updated, will result in a character disappearing. Here is a list of things that can cause them to disappear :
    1 : Launcher/Game is open at the same time as you edit a character in StarReader
    2 : your character size is too large, and as a result of that, the character becomes corrupted.
    3 : StarReader isnt updated to the current version.
    4 : If you drag your character file into the folder and hit tell it to not replace the old file.
    5 : If you try to edit the character description, or anything at >30kb, the save can be corrupted.
    6 : you edited a stack of something to over 1000, the stack limit.
    7 : you give something properties that it can't have.
    8 : you type in an item wrong and try to add it to your inventory.

16. Zavod101

Zavod101 Phantasmal Quasar

hope he updates this anytime soon :l

17. CourierBlues

Please refrain from annoying people, it's probably in your best interests.

Ronnys likes this.
  18. Tadao

Tadao Space Spelunker

I'm curious though, I'm not really a forum guy and skipped a few pages, but, is it possible to strengthen a weapon with the 'view more' option? Like what do you need to edit to get what?

19. VeryDoge

VeryDoge Void-Bound Voyager

Was working fine yesterday, now save file doesn't appear when asked to load a game.

20. CourierBlues

I've found that if you don't have any of the items added in the update in your inventory, then you can still edit your characters.