1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Starfoundry v1.3.2

Automation megamod including energy, pipes, magnets, data transmission and more!

1. Juxtor

Juxtor Phantasmal Quasar

That would be amazing.

2. Nirahiel

Nirahiel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hey people, I'm currently working on updating the mod. But I want to do more than just update it, I want to create a whole new mod (I had issues with Starfoundry, even though I was one of the devs, some things felt wrong to me, but I had no rights to change them, now that I'm basically taking over, I'm gonna change several things).

Right now I'm trying to find a new name. I want something that feels "engineer-y", but I don't want to create a name with "insert word related to engineering here"-"insert word related to starbound here".
    I've seen too many mods like that for minecraft like buildcraft, industrialcraft, steamcraft, etc etc ... I want something unique. Ideas ?

EDIT : I'll also need a few guys to work with me. Mostly for graphics. If anyone wants to help, PM :3

3. BadShaddy

BadShaddy Subatomic Cosmonaut

Finding a new name it will be tough, especially because the "starbound reference"-"mod's focus word" usually work and keep things simple, like you said about buildcraft, IC etc.
    I'll throw a few names:
    - Nirahiel's Technologies Inc
    - Nirahiel's Labs
    - Engineering 4 Space Cadets
    - How I met your pipes
    - Foundry 2.0
    - A.S.S: Automatic Space Systems
    - Starbound Extended Engineer
    - Spacecrafts

I dunno what else to suggest, I'm lacking ideas at the moment.
    Sadly I'm not a graphic, otherwise I would have helped :(

4. Lance Hancock

Lance Hancock Existential Complex

Foundry 2.0 sounds good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. Nirahiel

Well, thanks for the names, I already got something I'm going to use though, thanks github for the name lol. It's called Potential Dangerzone, and I feel like this name is badass, and explicitly defines what the new mod will be like.
    I may have found someone for the graphics, but you can still PM me ^^

6. ProfessorDey

ProfessorDey Void-Bound Voyager

Will this be leaning more towards the same Wireless power as before or will we get to wire everything in? (Always found that so much more interesting, cause it's a real engineering challenge. Assuming said wires/conduits would be actual physical blocks like with pipes etc.

7. Nirahiel

Well, it depends, it's easier to make it wireless but I could code a wire version instead, depending on what the community wants, shall I create a new topic for that ? And if so, where ?

8. MrVauxs

MrVauxs Giant Laser Beams

better stay in one thread
    by the way if you really want to implement wires i'd sugest to add them for electricity usage things not for free-for-all
    OR make a one giant tesla like transistor which gives energy by Wifi cables (normal) but with pentality (let's say x0.5 energy for connected machines) and you need to wire it of course with cables (block ones) :3

9. Nirahiel

I seriously didn't understand a thing. Please rephrase.

10. MrVauxs

If you really have time and will to make the copper wire connections make a Block or machine that sends Energy using the normal cables used in starbound (doors,lights,etc.)
    Instead of copper wire that you will implement

11. Nirahiel

Well MrVauxs the normal wires in starbound are logic wires used to transmit information. I cannot (and will not) use this to transmit power.
    But I know how I will set everything up. If some of you know EnderIO that's kinda the same idea.

12. ProfessorDey

Oh man, I absolutely love enderIO, if it's even slightly as good as that it'll be fantastic, the biggest concern being how to handle connected surrounded blocks. Automatically connecting to all 4 surrounding sides works, but having some way to isolate things running alongside/over each other would be amazing. (Quick hack would be to have them only connect to wires of the same colour, with one colour acting as a go between or something for splitting off)

I'm an engineer, so love these sorts of ideas, so forgive me if I get overzealous in that regard XP

13. Nirahiel

Engineer high five ? o/

Seriously though, I think every pipe will be configurable simply by pressing E on the pipe to open a GUI. That's how you will connect / disconnect.
    --- Post updated ---
    Now that i'm thinking about it, i'm not sure I want to implement energy in the mod ?
    Why ? Because if you think about it for a minute, you'll realize every machine that's in vanilla doesn't require energy. Screens, buttons, rail machine, smelters, replicators, even teleporters don't require energy. Why should I care ?
    OR, I could create alternative for all the things that require energy and disable the vanilla versions. That'd make the game more challenging.

14. MrVauxs

I prefer the first option (with no energy)
    a and though i also love enderIO but i think Thermal Expansion mods are better :3 just for me

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  15. NyanSoldier

NyanSoldier Void-Bound Voyager

I'm all for everything mechanical requiring at least small amounts of power.

16. BreakingForce

BreakingForce Big Damn Hero

looking forward to it!

and, for the record, my vote is for no power. just because power generation and storage items can take up so much space.

we're in spaceships with ftl capability. let's assume we can generate limitless power :D

17. ProfessorDey

I'd love power as an option or at least wiring objects together for increased functionality. Of course, the ship itself presumably has an internal reactor, so having something that'll stop power requirements if on the ship would make sense, though possibly be a touch fiddly to program. That means the focus would be on powering colonies, not your own ship etc XP

PS: Engineer High Five returned o/

18. Nirahiel

Well, put any crafting station, be it on ship or not, and it's powered. The whole game already revolves around high tech machines not requiring power. What I could do, though, as I said, is change everything that looks like it would require power, and make versions where they actually require power. Now I could even make it so the spaceships have a new default, unremovable item (like SAIL, storage and stuff) where power is emitted from, so that you can power your machines in the ship for free.

Now i'm wondering if Starbound's wire system (the logic) can actually support more than just boolean data.

19. ProfessorDey

It seems possibly not. I'm looking at the Lua for the FU Solar Array and it basically has an internal measure of the power it's generating, but the node itself is just being switched between true and false. The getCurrentPowerInput script calls the objects that are connected to it's input node and gets them to perform a getCurrentPowerOutput function, the returned result of which is then added to the power reserve of whatever's taking said power. So wiring is just acting as an identifier for the scripts to get their target object.

Djinnetic likes this.
  20. Nirahiel

I see. So I could make a system where I use wiring to "transmit" power, but actually just use the actual connection, and disregard the data itself. But this seems overpowered, being able to connect things for free. Again, starbound machines don't require power at all. Hm, i don't know.