Modding Discussion StarFoundry Port impasse.

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by rater193, Apr 14, 2016.

Tags:
?

Should i re-write the mod, or continue patching the thousands of errors?

Poll closed Apr 17, 2016.
  1. Re-Write the mod

10 vote(s)
    90.9%
  2. Continue patching

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. rater193

rater193 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hello Starfoundry fans, I am in the process of porting the old Starfoundry mod to the newer versions of Starfoundry.
    you can find the mod here: http://community.playstarbound.com/resources/starfoundryported.3578/
    Right now i am at an impasse, and want the communities opinion on what path to take.
    I am stuck with 2 options, 1: patch the many, MANY errors, or 2: re-write the entire mod.
    You guys choose what you would want!

if i re-write the mod it will make the mod itself more stable, so FAR fewer crashes will occur
    if i continue patching the mod, then there is going to be something, somewhere always bugging.(due to me being me, not the modder)

2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Rewriting is probably the better option given the age of the origional mod. Like you said yourself, if you just patch it, then you will always be playing catch-up to whatever bugs pop up as people play it. Re-writing it would mean you will have a familiarization with the inner workings and can resolve/prevent issues far easier.

3. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Rewriting will always be the better option - since it also helps revise from the ground up how everything is made.
    Also it is better to port one small part at a time - instead of everything at once.

4. SivCorp

SivCorp Parsec Taste Tester

There are also parts of that mod in a few others that are already updated... You may want to chat with them on how to rewrite some of it, or perhaps even use some of their code :)

5. rater193

im pretty great with lua, ill just add in my own code. ive already made some experimental quarries, and power generators.

6. BreakingForce

BreakingForce Big Damn Hero

I'm also for the recode, for whatever it's worth (as someone who's not used starfoundry). I think the automation features look pretty sweet. That said, I also use Frackin' Universe, and it would be cool if FU's power sources and such could be used for SF's gizmos.

7. rater193

good to know, i will do that for the recode ;)
    ill set up a power converter block you can place down to convert it from FU to SF

8. GreamMeakel

GreamMeakel Void-Bound Voyager

I will say one thing - SF was my favorite mod a long time ago.

FU the few times I have used it, is overly stuffed with stuff.
    The worst thing I find about Starbound as a whole is the lack of inventory support. I strip planets, villages and anything i can get my mining lasers/guns/dozers etc on. And store it, so i can rebuild on my home/colony planets.
    SF had storage but no way to find what you where looking for easy.
    FU just added hundreds of more items that you have to sort.
    There is a mod that helps with inventory but, once you get to larger stock piles, it lags up pretty bad when loading the area.

9. BreakingForce

BreakingForce Big Damn Hero

shrug. to each their own. i won't tell you your way is a bad way, because it's not. I like the planet generation changes FU makes, as well as the scientific discovery stuff, but you're welcome to use it or not as you see fit. Anything that helps you enjoy your game more is good for us all. I'm also interested in using SF when it's ready, and thought it'd be cool if the two could talk to each other a bit more :3 no use in having 2 different styles of power generation and batteries in the same lab if you don't have to...if just to save space.

10. GreamMeakel

GreamMeakel Void-Bound Voyager

Yes, I know what you are saying, and I enjoyed FU as well as SF. The underlaying issue i found with all starboard stuff is item storage, of which was the point i made in the former post that you totally over looked.
    I was trying, maybe it wasn't clear enough, to say, that as he develops the new SF, work on a vastly improved storage system compared to what we have. I have no issue with the two talking to each other and making each other better.

11. HuggableCreep

HuggableCreep Big Damn Hero

my goodness man, its been a while and sorry for necro'ing your thread but will you ever have interest in picking back up on starbound modding?

12. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

Since the thread has already been necro'd, I might as well add that I too am curious if this is still an active project. And I mean "active" in a very flexible sense. "I plan to get around to it still" would be an affirmative.

Granted I do probably have enough on my plate(and not enough focus/effort to match), but I'd like to see SF brought back to life. Well I need to get off the internet and clear some off my plate before thinking about it LOL.