1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Starbound won't start

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Byron Springhill, Jul 23, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Byron Springhill

Byron Springhill Void-Bound Voyager

After the new update/full release of starbound I am unable to launch the start up screen.
    Please help.

2. Broodie

Broodie Void-Bound Voyager

Mine either, updated it to 1.0 through steam, the extra unfortunate thing is that I have a dual raid striped set-up that I cant access my admin account with, so I cant install anything really...

After the update and when I click to open the game I'm immediately prompted with my account control login window (which Ive lost access to, would appreciate any help) and:
    [starbound.exe - System Error] The program can't start because MSVCP140.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

Which I also cant do :(

Maybe someone could send me the file I need?
    girlfriend just bought the game and I've been playing since it went open, years ago...

I love dis gameee

3. _Sleet_

_Sleet_ Space Hobo

I updated after staying up all night in excitement and it wouldn't start up I've tried multiple fixes but some of them are using nicknames for things or are impossible and all that happens is that it tries to load on steam it says it is syncing to my cloud and then nothing.

4. Broodie

Broodie Void-Bound Voyager

le bump? sorry if that's illegal here lol

Spent a lot of time unable to access my pc at all so i dont know the forums rules, but would love to have an opinion on our issues whenever someone can find the time <3

5. Byron Springhill

:cry:
    It says it's syncing with the cloud, however nothing happens.

6. Lil' Mini

Lil' Mini Phantasmal Quasar

Aye, I can confirm that it won't start now for me neither. :proper:

7. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Hrrm... the game starts for me with no hiccups whatsoever... have you tried turning off cloud sync? When you launch the game, does it prompt you with three options?

"Launch Starbound"
    "Launch Dedicated Server"
    "Launch modding tool"

Also, the game required to instal a few .dll files for first time set up, if you skipped that step, or did not have the computer rights (aka admin) to do so, it might be the source of your problem.

8. Byron Springhill

It comes up with
    "Launch Starbound"
    "Launch modding tool".
    None of the options do anything.

9. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Open your task manager, click Launch Starbound, see if the application is running in the background, it should do that for a few seconds, maybe longer and then start. Steam should also saying "running".

10. Byron Springhill

How does one turn off cloud sync?
    --- Post updated ---
    It says Running before it says it's synching.
    --- Post updated ---
    It only shows the window saying
    "Launch Starbound"
    "Launch modding tool".
    The game itself doesn't show up on task manager.
    --- Post updated ---
    I turned off cloud sync and still nothing.

11. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Hmm... its closing itself then... the cloud synch is only supposed to happen when you close a game on Steam. to turn cloud sync off right click Starbound - Properties you should see on the lower section a box that says cloud sync and X mb. as of why the game wont start I havent the slighest clue, best thing I could suggest is providing your log files to the developers, the files should be on your starbound folder.

to access that folder is the same as with cloud sync, in that tab click where it says local content, browse local content.

12. Byron Springhill

I turned off cloud sync and still nothino
    All of the files in general?

13. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Well, the most recent logs. There is no reason to send anything older. Those logs should have the information as of why the game is not opening at all. You could check them yourself even.

14. Byron Springhill

Who should I give them to?

15. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Well, putting them on this thread seems to be the most logical thing to do, and hope they ll take a gander at it. I assume they are keeping an eye out for things like this.

16. Byron Springhill

I upgraded to windows 10 and this error now comes up: "Fatal Exception caught: (RendererException) OpenGL 2.0 not available!"

17. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

18. Lil' Mini

Sooooo, just uninstall and reinstall then? (I'm a PC peasant :rainbow:)

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  19. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Well... uninstall, check that EVERY file is gone after you uninstalled (it should be on Steam/steamapps/common/starbound) and if the folder is empty, just install it again (redownload)

20. Lil' Mini