1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Tutorial Starbound Server Management Console Release

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Icer, Dec 16, 2013.

1. shibdib

shibdib Starship Captain

I never said it was for checking if the server is running. And I've never had the server crash and I run one of the more active servers.

2. Fizzy Amp

Fizzy Amp Void-Bound Voyager

Icer, how i could edit my ip address?

3. shibdib

shibdib Starship Captain

Also relying on a ping to check if the server is up is setting you up for ALOT of unnecessary restarts given how buggy connecting is right now.

4. SpikeTheSpaceCowboy

SpikeTheSpaceCowboy Tentacle Wrangler

oops my bad ;p I read into more than necessary. Have you never had the situation where some users could connect and others couldn't? I would call that a crash. I have a feeling it is because of how the server is working with memory, not releasing user information even after they have logged off. Just a theory though.

5. SpikeTheSpaceCowboy

Oh yeah, pinging the server is definitely not the way to go. I just used the super handy netstat tool to look for connections that are in CLOSE-WAIT status, which is caused from a server crash/error.

6. Icer

Icer Tentacle Wrangler

It is not possible to edit your IP Address through the Console. Your IP is assigned by your Internet Service Provider (ISP). ISSMConsole reaches out from your machine and asks a server what it sees as your public IP.

If you want a different IP for some reason, you can always try unplugging your modem overnight, if your ISP is using dynamic addressing, you might get a new one in the morning.

7. NakashimaKun

NakashimaKun Pangalactic Porcupine

Icer, Is there anyway you could implement remote access? I really could use that feature since I'm running on a dedicated server and most times I ain't time to constantly keep a check on the console.

Let me know.
    Naka

8. Dipdac

Dipdac Space Hobo

Thank you thank you thank you.

9. NakashimaKun

NakashimaKun Pangalactic Porcupine

Not what I need. I basically need all the windows you get on the console of the desktop viewable via a website or something over the net. Or even a client to connect to the server via some sort of authenticated connection. So I don't have to give end users access to my server desktop. If you get what I mean.

10. Icer

Icer Tentacle Wrangler

I am currently working on remote access right now. Its pretty close. When I'm satisfied that most of the major kinks are worked out, I'll post the new release.

11. Dipdac

Dipdac Space Hobo

I'm not replying to your post, I'm replying to spike.

Fizzy Amp likes this.
  12. Kaillera

Kaillera Big Damn Hero

Icer can we remove the case sensitivity on player names on slash commands? Also, do we honestly need a password since our IP should be sufficient enough.

13. Icer

Icer Tentacle Wrangler

The problem is that the text does not come in with an IP unfortunately, it only has a username. Without a password, all anyone would have to do to take over the server is to make a character with the NAME of an known Admin. Then they would have full admin powers. Until I get the ability to map a username to an IP 100%, the password will have to there :(

I hate it as much as you do, perhaps the next patch will have some more server love.

14. SpikeTheSpaceCowboy

I just happen to be almost finished with just that, using cgi, so the server your running will need the proper permissions. Feel free to post in my thread for updates, I don't want to clog up Icer's here with stuff not relevant to his work.

15. Kaillera

Kaillera Big Damn Hero

@Icer I'm having issues trying to get your console to work in conjunction with me batch files atm. Trying to get two checks into the javaw.exe and starbound_server.exe process. It checks the javaw.exe fine but then when I ask it to find starbound_server.exe under

tasklist /nh /fi "imagename eq starbound_server.exe" /fi "status eq running" |find /i "starbound_server.exe" >nul && (

It cannot find the server hiding behind java and executes my taskkill and reboot application code. I can confirm it will find it if I actually have out the java console and boot up my own starbound_server.exe so it seems to be not looking inside the process section, and only the task. Any Idea how I can get around it?

Will you add your own internal crash check'n'reboot?

16. SpikeTheSpaceCowboy

give this a go
    Code:
    tasklist | findstr starbound_server.exe
    if %ERRORLEVEL% equ 0 (goto SOME LABEL) ELSE (goto SOME OTHER LABEL)
    or throw the batch file up on pastebin, and link it here, so we can look it over ;p

17. Kaillera

Kaillera Big Damn Hero

Thanks a lot spike. It worked like a charm. Although I don't think this would work if the server is crashed and hanging.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  18. Hacks

Hacks Void-Bound Voyager

Cool server management console! :)
    and
    Add please spawn private

19. Mortalsinn

Mortalsinn Zero Gravity Genie

I am having issues setting the admin password... every time I edit the ISSMConsolePlayerList.xml file (When the server is offline) I save it, start the server and BOOM it resets itself back to default. I've tried editing the file while the server is running, hit the reload button but the file just resets...

any idea what I am going wrong?

20. Kaillera

Kaillera Big Damn Hero

You've added it into the wrong section. Put it before the end of a section </section> and not after.