1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Starbound runs ridiculously slow

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Fruiteyes, Jul 28, 2017.

1. Fruiteyes

Fruiteyes Phantasmal Quasar

The laptop I used to play Starbound on recently died, so I ended up buying a new one of the same model, HP ProBook 6460b. While the performance on the old laptop was hardly exceptional, it ran smoothly enough to play, with minor lag here and there. On the new laptop, which I would like to reiterate is exactly the same model, once I load my character the game is ridiculously laggy and slow. The framerate is mostly okay at first, the object animations run somewhat laggy but consistently, but the second I move my character in any way, the framerate drops down to maybe 2 or 3 frames per second. And not only does the framerate drop, but the game performance drops with it. It takes about ten seconds to complete a short jump from start to finish. The game is unplayable. I don't understand what's causing this difference in gameplay, since my new laptop is the exact same model as the old one, which ran it just fine.

Here are specs from both laptops (provided by Speccy), as well as the most recent log file.

Old Laptop:
    Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 2540M @ 2.60GHz 41 °C
    Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
    RAM
    4.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
    Motherboard
    Hewlett-Packard 161C (CPU 1) 29 °C
    Graphics
    Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz)
    Intel HD Graphics 3000 (HP)

New Laptop:
    Operating System
    Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 2620M @ 2.70GHz 70 °C
    Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
    RAM
    6.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
    Motherboard
    Hewlett-Packard 161D (CPU 1) 42 °C
    Graphics
    Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz)
    Intel HD Graphics Family (HP)

Log is attached to the thread.
    I know there are a few differences in specs between the laptops, but aside from the change in OS version, all of the differences seem to be improvements. Does anyone know why I'm having such ridiculous performance issues?

Attached Files:

2. UberHunterPrime

UberHunterPrime Void-Bound Voyager

I have a similar problem I updated my computer to latest version of window 10 yesterday and for whatever reason the suddenly dropped in frame rate to the point of being unplayable and don't know it is the case.

Here the logs of my recent game session.

Attached Files:

3. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

This statement is moot. The model number is irrelevant because the hardware inside if clearly not the same, which is vastly more important here.You have a different operating system, different CPU, different RAM, different everything. For all intents and purposes, you have a completely different computer in every way, shape, and form.

I mean, technically, a 94 Ford Focus is the same model as a 2018 Focus, but the model is irrelevant when you actually look under the hood.

I also hope you didn't buy this laptop new, cus you probably got ripped off. I mean, the CPU is like 7 years old.

All that said, there are a number of reasons why things could be running worse. For instance the downgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 7. People like to give Windows 10 a hard time, but factually, windows 10 game performance is often times better than windows 7. Additionally, it looks like your CPU is running hotter. Maybe this is because you were just doing something that put your system under load for a bit, but still worth mentioning that heat can cause laptops to throttle themselves which as you can imagine, would have a big impact on performance. Additionally, while the newer CPU is indeed better, it isn't better by a whole lot. Starbound is a very CPU dependent game, and is mostly single core based, and both CPUs have about equal single core performance rating.

The issue could also be a mix of several things. Hard to tell really. One thing you can try, as ive seen some success with, is to disable the steam connect feature from the game options.

4. DecompresS

DecompresS Space Hobo